PDA

View Full Version : Need help fixing bike, replacement parts

Real_Wolf
11th September 2008, 12:38
Hey guys, just got the call about my XS250, and how much things are gonna cost.

The clutch plates are $70, and the clutch gasket is $70 too, which is fine, since I know that it has a "unique" clutch in that it isn't really replaceable with anything other than another XS's clutch.

Thats gonna take a week to get here from japan too :P

However, the rear swingarm, in total, is gonna be $380.

The bolt alone costs $116, and the spacer $150.

The guy reckons that I could probably get a bolt and a spacer made for me by an engineer or something, for alot cheaper, and the question is where should I go, who should I talk to?

Thanks for any help, I could just pay for the parts for the swingarm, but considering that the bolt and spacer are really just tiny bits of metal, it surely shouldn't be worth $226 all up.

The Stranger
11th September 2008, 12:50
Victorian Motorcycle Wreckers

vicwreck@iinet.net.au

Squiggles
11th September 2008, 15:09
Got any part numbers for the two expensive bits? Can use them to cross reference to other more common models, and to the other years of the 250....
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-accessories/Other/auction-175143730.htm but looks to be a different year than yours...

xwhatsit
11th September 2008, 15:51
Alright. Clutch gasket? You mean the gasket for the side cover? $70 is feckin' insane for that. You could knock one up yourself out of gasket paper, or plenty of people have just used silicone gasket goop for side covers in the past. You can usually reuse the old ones too. I bought a new gasket for my side cover -- but only because it was $11, and my old one is leaking.

Why do you need a new swing arm? Can't the old one be straightened? Is there an issue with reusing the old bolt and spacers?

2wheeljunkie
11th September 2008, 17:58
like xers said, whats wrong with yer swing arm mate?..btw im keen to help out when u get the parts..:)

Real_Wolf
11th September 2008, 18:56
heh, the swing arm has been stuffed for a while, the bearings gone.

Yes, I know a clutch gasket could have eben made, but my clutch is weird, so rather get the proper one ordered, $70 isn't nearly as insane as $150 for the bolt.

No, don't have the part numbers, but will try to find out, and will get the parts themselves to see if someone can make them

Squiggles
11th September 2008, 20:29
70 for the set of plates is fine... The swingarm though, the bearings are gone? or is that price for a complete swingarm?

Subike
11th September 2008, 20:36
looks like a lot of yammys being serviced lately,
here is a list of places that you may find helpfull.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/se...home/home.aspx

For some reason you can’t successfully bookmark the actual parts catalog… but if you go to the above link… and click on “Online Parts Catalog”.

The next page will have drop down menus at the top of the page…. Under CATALOGS – select “motorcycle” – then hit the GO button.

Choose your model year and then specific model from the frame on the left and…. Holy Cow! – zoomable microfiche with part numbers!

now that you have the parts numbers, you can cross reference them with other yamaha models to see what used the same parts.

try here

https://www.partsnmore.com

here

http://www.bikebandit.com

here

New Link Yamaha Parts catalog

and

wheel bearings, o rings , brake kits, seals.

www.PartsNMore.net

finally (lol)

www.oldbikebarn.com

I hope these are a help, as they have help others and myself get reasonable priced parts for out yammys'
Cheers and enjoy

for interest sake, I paid US$74 for a competition clutch with springs from USA, and US$94 for a full gasket kit from Germany!
Those prices you have been qouted IMO are too high.

xwhatsit
12th September 2008, 00:20
heh, the swing arm has been stuffed for a while, the bearings gone.

Yes, I know a clutch gasket could have eben made, but my clutch is weird, so rather get the proper one ordered, $70 isn't nearly as insane as $150 for the bolt.

No, don't have the part numbers, but will try to find out, and will get the parts themselves to see if someone can make them
Alright mate, well bearings (bushes?) in the swingarm is not a big issue. If you can actually manage to get the bastard off, you can easily have new plastic or phosphor bronze bushes made up cheaply. Don't see why you'd need to change the swingarm, unless it's actually gouged it from being seized or something -- if so, have an engineer clean it up and take it out slightly and have some slightly larger bushes machined to match.

Clutch is weird? How so? It's a wet multi-plate clutch? If so, nothing weird. Clutch plates price sounds OK, but a clutch cover gasket is just a gasket at the end of the day to stop oil getting out, not like a head gasket or anything. So just knock one out of gasket paper, piece of piss. $70 is mind-bogglingly insane for a clutch cover gasket.

Who's been putting all these odd ideas in your head? You didn't -- *shock horror* -- take it to a bike shop, did you?! Never take an old bike like this anywhere near one :laugh:

Real_Wolf
12th September 2008, 02:06
subike, thanks for trying, but that website address doesn't work, i'll try to find that website some other way.

Tomorrow I plan to go to a wreckers with the bearing and bushes myself to see if I can get one second hand.

And I had to take it to a bike shop, it was royally stuffed, the clutch plates were gone, and already told them to order the gasket too. In the end, on that score, I was unconcerned, its the rip off for the bolt and spacer, $380 for all the parts needed to fix the swing arm, and teh guy reckons that I could get someone to make or replace the main bolt and the spacer, worth $266 all up, for ALOT less

Ragingrob
12th September 2008, 08:27
From what I remember of being on the back of Stephen's GN, sacking the bike out completely, weilding a massive piece of metal (what was the centre stand) at passing cars and striking a gate with it (yeah take that bitch)... was that ya don't need to bother with a clutch, just use the slipping to your advantage!

Although you do kinda get stuck on hills aka the motorway on ramp when all it does is slip and you enter the motorway at like 40kph :bash:

Squiggles
12th September 2008, 08:30
Im buying from bikebandit if you can cross reference any parts to what they have....

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/parts/home.aspx might have been the first link above?

motorbyclist
14th September 2008, 02:15
The clutch plates are $70, and the clutch gasket is $70 too, which is fine, since I know that it has a "unique" clutch in that it isn't really replaceable with anything other than another XS's clutch.

plates sound reasonable

gasket, assuming it isn't able to be reused, can be replaced with a home made paper one and/or some gasket goo (silicone) for a fraction of that price, and is just as effective

However, the rear swingarm, in total, is gonna be $380.

The bolt alone costs $116, and the spacer $150.

if there isn't a new bushing involved here any idiot with marginal lathe experience (and a suitably sized hex bar) could pull that off

i'd offer to do it myself but can't promise any of my time till next week at the earliest.

is the swingarm bent or what? exactly what is this mechanic telling you?

xwhatsit
15th September 2008, 14:56
is the swingarm bent or what? exactly what is this mechanic telling you?

I agree, from what we're hearing, the mechanic sounds like he either wants to just make you go away (`nah, it's going to be close to a grand, not worth fixing'), which happens with old shit 250s like ours, or just wants to do everything exactly by the official Yamaha way.

Either way, stay away from the mechanic and get a second opinion :2thumbsup

Real_Wolf
16th September 2008, 09:21
nah, its not that, its difficult to translate the tone into a forum post, but it was more in the way of "Heres how to do it by the book, order the parts, etc, but its gonna cost you alot of money for something thats probably not worth it. What I think you should do is get the part made somewhere, like blabla or blabla, and it'll cost you a fraction of the cost."

Real_Wolf
17th September 2008, 16:24
There we go, gave them a call and got more stuff set up.

The clutch plates are in, will be taking it home with me soon, though don't have the pivot bolt/bush

Now have their yamaha part number however, but their "genuine yamaha parts", on an old bike, so might not be the easiest to find, but worth a look.

The Genuine Part Number of them are
Bush: 12R-22184-00
Bolt: 1VJ-22141-00

Can't find them on that yamaha website. Searching on google, found 'boats.net' that has both the bush and the bolt,
Yamaha SHAFT,PIVOT 1VJ-22141-00-00 $29.64
Yamaha BUSH 12R-22184-00-00 $49.05

Thats in US dollars though, and would probably cost extra for shipping, but in current NZD thats about $133.08, which does save me a bit, but then add shipping (shouldn't be too much, not large parts), and it'll probably go up a bit. Still alot cheaper than the $200+ it would cost me.

Also, the other thing is I would probably need expertise to pull my back wheel apart, and put this in, do we (meaning SMC) have the tools and expertise to do this at a fix it?

Squiggles
17th September 2008, 16:56
Just one bushing eh?
Its the same as that for a 82 -83 XS400 (J, K , RJ, RK) and a 90-95 XT600E
The shaft is only listed as common to the XS400 of the above models...
SHAFT,PIVOT $36.30
BUSH $54.60

From Bikebandit.com, whom im getting my bits from when i get time to find the size of the klr bore...

Real_Wolf
17th September 2008, 18:39
Dunno if its just one or more, but gonna ask alot more questions when I pick my bike up, where I can ask them in person, which is alot easier than over the phone.

Well it hasn't completely fallen apart yet, so that means that theres time for someone who actually knows what their doing to have a look at it too, if they want to, before I order the parts. I'll definetely ask if its just one bushing that I need, and if theres any parts besides the bushing and the pivot bolt