PDA

View Full Version : PocketBike Moped

Guitarest-biker
12th September 2008, 07:40
Can i MOPED a pocket bike? (MOPED as in get a license for it)

CookMySock
12th September 2008, 07:56
If its under 50cc, under 2hp, and won't go faster than 50km/hr, and its not too noisy, then you should be able to register it as a moped.

Steve

Guitarest-biker
12th September 2008, 08:21
Sweet deal

DELLORTO
12th September 2008, 17:41
daytona are 2.5HP tho...:gob:

Guitarest-biker
12th September 2008, 17:52
Im registering my pocket bike next year ITS GOING TO BE AWSOME (people will think what the?)

CookMySock
12th September 2008, 21:17
daytona are 2.5HP tho...:gob:If you gear it up so it can't rev that will lower its output. Or make a thin plate to mount behind the carby.

Steve

speedpro
12th September 2008, 21:18
Im registering my pocket bike next year ITS GOING TO BE AWSOME (people will think what the?)

as they drive their car over you

grantman
13th September 2008, 15:15
I agree with speedpro......SPLAT

Might look like fun but way more dangerous than even riding a mountain bike

sorry to be the bearer of bad news
it will take alot of work to get a PB up to the standard required

check out the LTSA website
http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/factsheets/43.html#equip

Cheers

Is it a moped or a motorcycle?

There are slightly different definitions of a moped, depending on the context:

For vehicle registration and licensing: a moped has a power output of 2 KW or under and a maximum design speed of 50 km/h or under. A vehicle with a power output over 2 KW or a maximum design speed over 50 km/h is a motorcycle. It is illegal to register a motorcycle as a moped.

For vehicle importation inspections: a vehicle with an engine over 50 cc or a speed greater than 50 km/h must meet the technical requirements for a motorcycle.

For in-service inspections:a vehicle with an engine over 50 cc or a speed greater than 50 km/h or a power output greater than 2 KW needs to have a warrant of fitness and must meet the technical requirements for a motorcycle.
What equipment must my moped have?

Mopeds must have safety equipment fitted and must be in good condition. Mopeds manufactured on or after the dates in the table must meet approved standards for items listed.
Moped manufactured on
or after this date Must meet approved standard
for this item
1 January 1992 reflector
1 October 2002 brakes
1 January 2006 headlamps, stop lamps, rear-facing lamp
Brakes

Your moped must have at least one service brake on each wheel.
Lighting equipment - lamps and reflectors

Your moped must be fitted with:

* one or two dipped-beam headlamps ('dipped beam' means 'low beam'. It may be a single lamp that is fixed in the dipped position or a lamp that can be dipped by the rider). When turned on, this must illuminate the road in front for at least 30 metres
* at least one red rear-facing lamp that can be seen from 100 metres away when turned on
* at least one rear reflector that can be seen from 100 metres away when light shines on it.

If your moped was first registered in New Zealand on or after 1 January 1991, it must also be fitted with one or two rear stop lamps.
Rear-view mirror

If your moped was manufactured on or after 1 July 2000, it must have a rear-view mirror that gives you a clear view behind the moped.
Other equipment

Your moped must also have:

* good quality tyres. The tread pattern must be clearly visible across at least 3/4 of the tread width and around the entire circumference
* a horn that can be heard by other road users from at least 100 metres away (in normal traffic conditions)
* mudguards (if it is practical to fit them)
* an exhaust system, in good condition, that is not excessively noisy
* adequate footrests or pedals for the rider and any pillion passenger.

Guitarest-biker
14th September 2008, 18:39
Yea, i actually dont like the sound of a Pocket bike MOPED you will get crushed... Plus, Dont you need light indicators?

MarkyMark
11th October 2008, 18:34
So for a "pre-2006" bike you don't need any lights, and you can indicate with your arms. I'm pretty sure a squeeze bulb horn is acceptable, so it sounds like it wouldn't actually be that tough to meet moped standard?

hospitalfood
11th October 2008, 18:44
i think it is a great idea to get a pit bike reg as a moped.
i agree with others that it may not be that safe, but a bloody good idea anyway.
if you can do it, so can others. and if others do it, it may eventually bring prices down on other mopeds, or at least make it easier for people to get cheap, legal and reasonably eco friendly round-town transport.
a good thing in my mind.