PDA

View Full Version : Tight clutch cable

<Rhino>
12th September 2008, 12:20
My clutch is getting very tight i.e. it handle is getting very hard to squeze. I think it may be due to riding so much in very wet weather for the past couple of months and wonder if the cable is rusting/expanding inside the sheath or somthing similer.

My question is this: can I spray somthing down the clutch cable like CRC or similer in an attempt to loosen the movement up a bit, would this even work, is it safe??

Or the B plan - new clutch cable OR one of those hand exerciser things you squeeze and some harden up pills!

Thanks in advance for any help you may offer - smart arse jibes and stick poking welcome too :whocares: LOL

mowgli
12th September 2008, 12:29
Lubing the clutch cable is part of normal motorcycle maintenance. Next time you're in a bike shop or maybe even SuperCheap ask for a cable luber doohickey. You'll also need a can of lube. I've always used WD40 but I recall some on KB saying that there are different types of cables and that different products were required for some.

James Deuce
12th September 2008, 12:31
It needs regular lubing.

You can buy a device that you insert the cable end in so you can squirt lube down the cable. Below is the best video ever.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=1444697&postcount=13

Don't use WD40 or CRC because they contain solvents. They get used for cleaning stuff so they do evaporate. They are a temporary lubricant at best.

I use graphite spray. Some chain lubes will work well too.

ManDownUnder
12th September 2008, 12:43
Best done on a hot day but - whatever

1) Remove the cable from the clutch lever so it's hanging free
2) Tie the very end of the cable to something so it drapes down - the left mirror was my favourite
3) use plastercine (sp?) or bluetack - and form a little funnel around the end of the cable sheath.
4) Pour heavy oil into the funnel to the top
5) Put a rag at the other end of the cable to catch the mess

6)... go away... leave it over night or whatever

If you are in a hurry you can "jiggle" the cable in and out of it's sheath to draw the oil down - I'm not convinced it a hell of a lot faster though - messy and a pain.
===
The above works reasonably well for freeing stuck cables too, but use light oil to start with - to free the cable, then a heavier oil as the final lube

===
Chain lube doesn't work so well using this method as the evaporant leaves before the oil progresses through the cable.

<Rhino>
12th September 2008, 17:21
Awsome, thanks to all of you. Bling head'n your way.