PDA

View Full Version : Is my R1 hot?

SILVER SUZI
24th September 2008, 10:02
I've recently upgraded from my 1989 Suzuki to a 2004 Yamaha R1.:2thumbsup
Unlike my old Suzuki, this bike has a temperature gague, and when commuting home in the afternoon I notice it's getting very hot. Sitting at traffic lights I watch the temperature climb, and once moving it falls again. All to be expected. Except last night by the time I got home and had stopped at the mail box for a minute the temperature was reading 106 deg.
My trip home takes about 20-25 minutes and includes 10 traffic lights. Lots of stop start riding and waiting at reds.
Is that excessevly hot or to be expected with that type of riding.
I checked the coolant resivour (once the bike was cold) and it looks fine, the level is just below full.
I'm running the bike on 98 (as advised by previous owner).

NZsarge
24th September 2008, 10:13
I've got a FZ1 which has the '03 R1 motor pretty much, stuck moving slowly around town my bike spikes up to about 103 but the fan cuts in at 100 on the dot.
Is your fan coming on at all?
If it is i'd say your not too far out but if the fan is'nt coming on at 100 or soon after i'd get it checked out pronto, don't want it cooking on ya!
Nice bike BTW, what colour?

vifferman
24th September 2008, 10:16
My trip home takes about 20-25 minutes and includes 10 traffic lights. Lots of stop start riding and waiting at reds.
Is that excessevly hot or to be expected with that type of riding.
Sounds reasonable. It's about what my bike does (although it is a bit different, having pannier radiators and all that).
Oh - and congrats on the R1. :niceone:

imdying
24th September 2008, 10:19
Naw, doesn't sound hot... cooling systems are presurized so that they can run crazy high temps :) (without boiling that is)

BOGAR
24th September 2008, 10:38
I've got a FZ1 which has the '03 R1 motor pretty much, stuck moving slowly around town my bike spikes up to about 103 but the fan cuts in at 100 on the dot.
Is your fan coming on at all?
If it is i'd say your not too far out but if the fan is'nt coming on at 100 or soon after i'd get it checked out pronto, don't want it cooking on ya!
Nice bike BTW, what colour?

Like NZsarge said. I have the 2004 R6 but the fan kicks in at 100 also. It may still climb higher but not much even on a hot day in slow traffic but the fan should kick in at 100.

discotex
24th September 2008, 10:58
Except last night by the time I got home and had stopped at the mail box for a minute the temperature was reading 106 deg.

I say that's about as high as it should go before the fan kicks in. Will happen if you're not moving.

SILVER SUZI
24th September 2008, 12:08
Hey guys thanks for that, it's put my mind at ease.
Yeah the fan comes on just over 100.
Colour is yellow (06 aniversary fairings).
Have attached picture to original post.

vifferman
24th September 2008, 12:24
Noice!
Don't forget to update your profile too.

scorry
24th September 2008, 12:34
yeah real hot, but as for the temperature, na its ok.
my old R1 sometimes went up past 100, had me worried at the time too

Qkchk
24th September 2008, 12:41
Hey guys thanks for that, it's put my mind at ease.
Yeah the fan comes on just over 100.

Someone painted the mags gold to make it look like a SP. Wonder if its my old bike. Is the rego **ZAP or was it **ZIP? Has it got Arrow pipes?

Dani-D
24th September 2008, 18:04
Mine gets to 108 in summer. Fan does the job though. Try Redline WaterWetter additive if your crawling alot. Helps wick away the heat alittle better. I get mine from Proparts in palmy. Most V8/Drag race/speed shops have it

Number One
24th September 2008, 18:53
Looks pretty hot to me! :drool:

SILVER SUZI
25th September 2008, 09:49
Someone painted the mags gold to make it look like a SP. Wonder if its my old bike. Is the rego **ZAP or was it **ZIP? Has it got Arrow pipes?

Nah Just standard pipes.
Plate is not Zap. Not sure if it has worn that in the past.
I did wonder what the gold was about, the aniversary model appears to have black wheels.

motorbyclist
26th September 2008, 02:05
Naw, doesn't sound hot... cooling systems are presurized so that they can run crazy high temps :) (without boiling that is)

yeah but teh metal parts inside the motor still get bigger and softer as they run hotter....

fun fact: the hotter the motor the better ideal efficiency from a four stoke cycle, but our current materials won't allow us to run much over 600degrees without things turning to crap.... just wait til they start making ceramic motor parts :drool: