PDA

View Full Version : Bike is stuffed

Real_Wolf
25th September 2008, 18:48
Hey, I'll post more info later, but for now, heres a list of whats happened

Picked up bike from yamaha motoworld, had new clutch, service, oil, etc.
Rode off, everything seemed fine, got back to NS, decided to ride into uni. Found out what the hose was, it is the breather hose, was belching smoke which shoulda been going into air filter.
At some point, after going over about 8k revs, the engine started sounding sick, and it lost alot of its power, and was very lumpy in the power.

Finally engine was just stalling completely, not able to rev itself up a hill. Managed to ride it to a mates, but at one point going at 30km/h at 3k revs (since the engine knocking noise was less for less revs), but at one point it seemed to sieze, stalling at 2k revs, and back wheel swung wildly. From there, rolled it to mates house, where it is now.

Gonna need a trailer if at all possible, and probably take it back to the repairs.

The engine itself sounds like theres something quite damaged on the left cylinder, something knocking around inside. Quite a bad thing, gonna have a look at it now thats its cold again in a bit, but it looks like its quite royally stuffed.

On another note, I have the rest of the part numbers for fixing the rear swing arm.

So could someone who can tow a trailer please come to help at somepoint, on the weekend probably. Can give directions and stuff

PirateJafa
25th September 2008, 18:50
I am free from around midnight tonight until late Sunday. I have the towtruck, and Squiggles has the trailer so we'll organise something.

02X XXX XXXX

Gubb
25th September 2008, 18:51
Drop me a text, i've got a truck you can use, but it has to be tonight.
PM sent.

Ixion
25th September 2008, 18:56
Pajero and trailer available Sat am or Sunday

Patar
25th September 2008, 19:25
jeabus, sounds like you kept riding for a while once it started knocking?!

Slyer
25th September 2008, 19:49
jeabus, sounds like you kept riding for a while once it started knocking?!

Yeah! Not a good idea!

Squiggles
25th September 2008, 20:08
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-accessories/Other/auction-177691981.htm

Subike
25th September 2008, 20:30
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-accessories/Other/auction-177691981.htm

wrong model

Squiggles
25th September 2008, 20:40
wrong model

Cant find much on the net on them, they changed the motor/frame alot then?

xwhatsit
25th September 2008, 20:45
If the breather hose was belching smoke, that means that combustion products is getting past the piston and into the crankcase. Holed piston or something?

Personally I can't see how them taking the clutch would cause anything to go wrong in the top end (clutch is outside the crankcase), but you never know I suppose.

That's stink. Commiserations.

Grub
25th September 2008, 20:54
I wouldn't touch the engine without taking it to the shop and having an independant person (with camera!) there when it's stripped down.

If you touch it, they're just going to say it's all your fault.

Squiggles
25th September 2008, 21:06
Personally I can't see how them taking the clutch would cause anything to go wrong in the top end (clutch is outside the crankcase), but you never know I suppose.

That's stink. Commiserations.

Oil and perhaps a valve check'd be part of the service? Oil for sure

Squiggles
25th September 2008, 21:37
Right, lets see if we can work this one and help out someone else
I can do anytime sunday, jafa can do till 4? sunday
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=1745070#post1745070
Theres a wof station not far from the destination, thats open till 3

When can we take it to motoworld?

motorbyclist
25th September 2008, 21:47
ah dude should've stopped once it started dying - whatever went wrong could now be beyond repair....

there was pocket rockets planned for this sunday but if you need a hand i'll be free - plus i've got a trailer if we can't get the usual one

i so knew this was gonna happen

Ixion
25th September 2008, 21:47
Where is the bike, and where is motoworld. I could probably do something on Monday too if necessary.

Alternatively, we could tow it in.

Real_Wolf
25th September 2008, 22:17
Well, whatever gets it to motoworld. The simple fact is that we don't know if its because of the oil, which was changed during the service, or if it is a completely different problem.

It was a case of wanting to get it to a safe place, rather than leave it on a dodgy street with a disk lock that doesn't fit (yah, guess what, my new disklock doesn't fit my bike).

Its parked currently in chatswood, north shore, motoworld is in albany.

The model of the xs250 changed to the 'gn250' style look not long after my model came out, which is actually 82.

Yeah, shoulda stopped when it started making that, but the idea of taking it to motoworld kinda meant it went a bit far, and then got stuffed.

Oh yeah, it also won't turn over now, at all. Wondering if its worth bothering with, or just selling for scrap parts and finding another bike

Slyer
25th September 2008, 22:20
Shoulda not bought it in the first place!
I feel your pain mate. Straight back to the shop she goes.

Ixion
25th September 2008, 22:24
Realistically , it's probably not worth spending much money on. But, it is possible that the problem is related ot the service (not likely, but possible). In which case the service agents may have to cough up.

IS there still oil in it ?

I'd suggest taking it back to motoworld (won't cost anything). Politely explain, that it blew up immediately after service, make it clear that your not alleging anything or setting up a bitch fight, but would they comment on the reason for the seizure. Those sort of engines don't usually seize up unless somethings been done wrong.

Odds are they'll come back with a reason that lets them off the hook (cos it wasn't really their fault). But , just maybe, they say "Oops. We'll fix it"

I used to work in the motor trade. We had a few cases where the wrenches made a balls up (they're only human), the company always came through to sort it out.

motorbyclist
25th September 2008, 22:53
yep, sounds siezed

no oil? excess gasket goop blocking a passageway?

bike was buggered when you bought it and now it sounds like she's well and truly rooted....

see kids, THIS is why we have to have a 400 post thread to buy a first bike :bleh:

Real_Wolf
25th September 2008, 23:08
yah, speaking of which, how much you reckon I coudl get for parts.

Seriously considering going bugger it, get 1k off studylink, go deep into overdraft, and get a new bike

motorbyclist
25th September 2008, 23:12
well motor rooted, rear rooted, bike is pretty rare...

i suppose you've got two wheels, two forks, some brakes and electrics that might fit another yamaha

tank of gas?

Real_Wolf
26th September 2008, 08:11
prob not much gas in it, maybe $5.

I suppose the clutch wouldn't be worth much, despite me just paying to have teh whole thing fixed.

Ugg

Well at least I didn't pay my insurance yet, so its still legally insured but the cash hasn't been sent.

2wheeljunkie
26th September 2008, 11:05
sorry to hear dude..:(

xwhatsit
26th September 2008, 11:37
The model of the xs250 changed to the 'gn250' style look not long after my model came out, which is actually 82.
But the engine will still be the same, right? Can't you just hoik the engine out of that Trademe wreck? He says he wants $350 for the engine, which is a bit steep, but you might get that down.

Dare
26th September 2008, 14:22
Hey wade, I would take it to the shop and have an independent observer with a camera. If you are lucky the piston/piston wall isn't fubared. Either way the shop will hopefully help out =) Maybe don't say you rode it too far before it seized after making a noise, that just makes you look careless.

What have we learned?
Don't fall in love with a bike and then not check it out properly!
Don't ride a bike after it loses all its power and starts making an awful noise!

Any how good luck! Riding home alone is boringer.

Squiggles
26th September 2008, 16:55
So are we doing this sunday?

Real_Wolf
26th September 2008, 19:37
yah squig, this sunday soudns fine, let me know the time (mostly dependant on jaffa as he seems to be the one with the most useful item, the trailer)

Not really worth buying a new engine for it, since I have to replace the back wheel's pivot bolt, bush, bearing, and probably sleeve

carver
26th September 2008, 19:40
fuck yamaha's are shit!

motorbyclist
26th September 2008, 23:48
(mostly dependant on jaffa as he seems to be the one with the most useful item, the trailer)

nah, he's just got the car with a towbar

we borrow the dilworth trailer, or hire one... even though i've got one (and a ute too but fark it's a pain to drive with a trailer)

PirateJafa
27th September 2008, 00:04
yah squig, this sunday soudns fine, let me know the time (mostly dependant on jaffa as he seems to be the one with the most useful item, the CAR)

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/usernote.php?u=10392

Real_Wolf
27th September 2008, 08:14
lol jafa, that link doesn't actually go anywhere I can access.

Anyway, sent you my number, get me a txt for what time is best, and I'll wake up in time for it tomorrow

Real_Wolf
27th September 2008, 22:41
Hey squigs, jafa sent me a txt saying sometime in the morning tomorrow, but ya haven't txted back. Lemme know, I'll check this nice and early (remember, daylight savings), and we can hopefully get this done