PDA

View Full Version : Look who I found on the side of the road 2.0

PirateJafa
27th September 2008, 14:20
And he doesn't even have a were-sheep to blame!

Bidding will commence from 9pm...

EJK
27th September 2008, 15:53
You are really good at breaching other's private information aren't you?

twinkle
27th September 2008, 16:52

haha well if you didn't crash so spectacularly people wouldn't have been so interested :rofl:

EJK
27th September 2008, 16:54
but but but but...... Gah! :thud:

Patar
27th September 2008, 17:09
This sounds interesting, do tell more.

EJK
27th September 2008, 17:11
Hmmm it seems the right handle is a total gonner...

Slyer
27th September 2008, 18:03
Well that was fun, ow my ankle. :D
An expensive lesson in emergency braking though.

motorbyclist
27th September 2008, 18:04
who was riding who's bike?

and how?

Slyer
27th September 2008, 18:30
*Licks his wounds*
No idea... :whistle:

motorbyclist
27th September 2008, 18:34
on the bike you just bought?

so... is this a good example of why we insure a bike before we ride it, even to get it home?

PirateJafa
27th September 2008, 18:41

You tool, I never breached your privacy when I picked your broken-arsed bike up so can that kinda talk. I'll happily respect anyone's privacy if they so wish. However I've been mates with Sam for fucking years so what are you doing even making these sorts of assumptions?

on the bike you just bought?

so... is this a good example of why we insure a bike before we ride it, even to get it home?

No, it's a good example of why you do some carpark practice of things like progressive braking etc, before you hop on your very first bike and ride it from Hamilton to Auckland.

Oh, and insurance too. Although I don't know how I can be talking about insurance with a straight face.

Only a couple hundy worth of damage really. Forks etc all seem okay. Fairings didn't even crack, just ground down a bike. Just need to replace both his clipons and fix his killswitch. Easy peasy. :)

Zim_Invader
27th September 2008, 18:43
holy crap! slyer buddy. that's not looking good at all! (u're becomingthe next dushi at this rate :crazy:!).

well, give us the full, nitty gritty bits. we want all the details. how'd u pull it off? glad u came out of it well enough. (at least good to ride another day)

Nivosus
27th September 2008, 18:50
lol well done. dammage doesnt look to bad i spose

Slyer
27th September 2008, 19:15
holy crap! slyer buddy. that's not looking good at all! (u're becomingthe next dushi at this rate :crazy:!).

well, give us the full, nitty gritty bits. we want all the details. how'd u pull it off? glad u came out of it well enough. (at least good to ride another day)
Well ok.
Arranged with my Dad to drive down, so I drove down so that he could drive back.
Got there, guy was nice enough and the bike was in good enough condition apart from the things that I knew were wrong with it.
Drove all the way from south of hamilton into the north shore a happy chappy, didn't know whether my cheeks hurt from the helmet or smiling too much. :D
Was just cruising along at just under 100 coming up to the hill before upper harbour highway when all of a sudden the car in front of me nails the brakes and I panic and grab a fistful of brake too.
Managed to slow myself down a little bit and then lost control, rear wheel went to the left and bike slid left a bit and into the lane left of me while I was on the ground rolling.

But shit do I have faith in motorcycle gear now, I managed to hit almost all the places where there was armour while I rolled. Luckily my helmet never touched the ground and is in perfect condition.
My jacket and pants are a bit ripped up as they are cordura but 95% OK.
Bit of stitching and they'll be sweet. Body damages, sprained ankle and a little bit of road rash but otherwise okay.

I'll be the first to admit that this was 100% my fault and due to not practicing my emergency braking enough or keeping enough distance from the car in front of me.
The plan was to take it really easy on the way home and then practice practice practice...

My dad wasn't far behind me and several cars pulled up to see if I was okay, I was good to walk so we headed off to my dad's workmates to get a car with a towball.
By the time we got back to the crash site 15-20mins later the bike was gone, called *555 and found that the towers had already collected it, so went to the place in glenfield to pick it up.. $180!

So yes, today was an expensive lesson in braking.

Squiggles
27th September 2008, 19:20
Bikes at my place, needs two handlebars (one was bent already, the other you pinged, it'll be cheap to get the set), a footpeg (and if ya can get one cheap a rear brake lever, otherwise its easily repaired), and 1 indicator

That is all

Zim_Invader
27th September 2008, 19:32
hectic mate. u learnt at least. just know now, a bit more distance and lot more vigilance. have had some freakish near misses myself-all one or two of them, haha -, (including old lady trying to kill me on a roundabout, by gasing it and cutting through both lanes). i've been really lucky so far. u learn quick! haha.

so, how long before u think u'll have the bike back on the road?

Squiggles
27th September 2008, 19:54
so, how long before u think u'll have the bike back on the road?

very soon </10chars>

TOTO
27th September 2008, 20:15
u poor bugger :oi-grr:

You got only half an indicator now...

Slyer
27th September 2008, 20:24
Thankfully the road was smooth for a nice even shave. ;)
It needs some work in areas from before I crashed it too, but engine seems to go sweet. Needs some spit/polish and a bit of paint. :)

Slyer
27th September 2008, 20:28
Oh and my phone got wet too... Front pockets are not water proof!
I have just finished reassembling after leaving it in bits in front of a dehumidifier, it's all ok but the lcd backing is permenently darkened in patches, you can only see when it lights up white.

Zim_Invader
27th September 2008, 21:17
very soon </10chars>

honest? then i guess t just looks worse than it really is (by a smidgen).

Slyer
27th September 2008, 21:24
Cosmetic damage, my ankle might take a little while to heal though.
Luckily I had so much fun that my spirit is not dampened!

Little Miss Trouble
27th September 2008, 21:45
...coming up to the hill before upper harbour highway when all of a sudden the car in front of me nails the brakes and I panic and grab a fistful of brake too...

Hmm so thats what caused that major hold up. Bike was already gone by the time i filtered through, otherwise I woulda stopped to help

kave
27th September 2008, 21:59
There were three car vs car nose-to-tail accidents on that stretch of road, and then when I went past about 40 minutes later I saw that Ninja getting put on the back of a truck. It pays to look ahead and keep an eye on what is going on in front of you, I bet that car didn't slam on its brakes for no reason, traffic would have been backed up and if you were looking ahead you wouldn't have needed to emergency brake (I had to learn that lesson the hard way too). Heal up quick, and learn from your mistakes.

Slyer
27th September 2008, 22:08
Yeah it was because the traffic was backed up. It was right at the bottom of the hill before the corner so I couldn't see it coming.
You're right that it was completely preventable, and learn from it I shall.

Phurrball
28th September 2008, 14:52
You might be able to claim your gear on your household insurance policy - worth looking into.

It sounds like you got off very lightly considering you were on a motorway.

My last incident was only at about 30km/hr, but cost me that bike. I learned from that crash, as you will learn from yours.

2wheeljunkie
28th September 2008, 14:57
lol well done. dammage doesnt look to bad i spose

ahaha funny response yet..;)

McJim
28th September 2008, 15:05
Condolences - I've just been through this. Took the newly repaired steed for a run this afternoon. It's good to have the bike back.

2wheeljunkie
28th September 2008, 15:07
Luckily I had so much fun that my spirit is not dampened!

good shit mate..!

ital916
28th September 2008, 18:14
Sounds like you locked the rear? I'm glad your okay bud. Heal up, ten fingers ten toes.

Gah the bike is rooted, I say sell ti and make a profit with increasng summer bike prices and get a gsxr750 ;) (p/t)

Slyer
28th September 2008, 18:55
Just needs new handlebars, foot pegs and killswitch. :)

EJK
28th September 2008, 18:57
Just need a wheel chair :)

Good thinking :niceone:

motorbyclist
28th September 2008, 20:24
so a towie can just pick up any old bike he finds on the side of the motorway and charge whatever he wants without your consent?

wtf?

(though to be fair if no-one was sitting with it, it may have looked abandoned)

PirateJafa
28th September 2008, 20:30
so a towie can just pick up any old bike he finds on the side of the motorway and charge whatever he wants without your consent?

I understand the policy is different for vehicles in the central median. Sam'd leaned it up against a cheesecutter.

Phurrball
29th September 2008, 12:09
I understand the policy is different for vehicles in the central median. Sam'd leaned it up against a cheesecutter.

Contract formation could be worth looking into, UNLESS there is a regulation regarding this which mandates recovery of any vehicle in that place unattended. Ask any Police that attended? Perhaps the towies?

It's generally a little hard to enter a contract without your knowledge and without awareness of costs involved. Plenty of cars seem to sit on the hard shoulder unattended for days with teh "yellow sticker" on their back window.

Dealer
29th September 2008, 13:30
Bikes at my place, needs two handlebars (one was bent already, the other you pinged, it'll be cheap to get the set), a footpeg (and if ya can get one cheap a rear brake lever, otherwise its easily repaired), and 1 indicator

That is all

I have a rear brake lever floating around somewhere that you can have for nix. Left over from the rebuild of my ZZR 250, I'm sure it was originally from a GPX 250. Will check it tonight. PM me if you want it.

Slyer
29th September 2008, 15:14
PM'd.

The guy at atomic bike wreckers wanted $60 for one footpeg, and it was for a zxr400..
I may just buy the blingy gold ones and paint them if need be. $45 for the two.

ital916
29th September 2008, 15:59
before you get back on your ride, pm quickchick and have some lessons. just a thought, not hassling you or anything, I want to do some lessons too, the attitude to learn is the best kind, but in saying that shit does happen, live and learn. *people talk a lot of shit, myself included*, experience and more km's will put you right.

Slyer
29th September 2008, 16:07
Well I had well over a hundred k's before it happened. :P
Yeah I plan on attending the Wednesday newbie session once I'm up and running again.

TOTO
29th September 2008, 16:40
yea , wednesday training night will help you :niceone:

Zim_Invader
29th September 2008, 17:01
training... oooh ooh. do tell. where n when?! i'm there!!!!! put up the details! another excuse to ride around in circles!!!!!!:wari: i'm dead keen!

Patar
29th September 2008, 18:28
The Wednesday night ride that's been such a big deal on the site for the last while. Check the meetings and events subforum.

motorbyclist
30th September 2008, 00:40
now kids, while this is definitely a case of inexperience, it's also a good case for the argument that learners should NOT be allowed on the motorway

he's very lucky he wasn't seriously injured (and seriously pwned by the police)

bomma
30th September 2008, 09:36
now kids, while this is definitely a case of inexperience, it's also a good case for the argument that learners should NOT be allowed on the motorway

he's very lucky he wasn't seriously injured (and seriously pwned by the police)

bling earned andrew, well done on realising that there are such things as short posts :clap:

BANZAI
1st October 2008, 06:53
Theres Wednesday one and Monday one also.

Wed
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=77111

Mon
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=76473

Don't mind attending either of them but preferbly practice session happens in weekend...

Now, this is when this thread comes handy :p
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=73764&highlight=plate

We should organise SMC practice day in carpark and invite everyone to come along :)