PDA

View Full Version : What NOT to do to your airbox, and how to correctly check your oil

motorbyclist
27th September 2008, 17:59
so my little brother came out on his hornet today (been on it less than a month) for the waitakere loop, and by the end of it there was oil pissing everywhere, "from the engine".

got home (where the gear lever decided to fall off half way down the driveway apparently due to bolt not being tight enough) and couldn't find a leak anywhere, and as there was oil everywhere we were a bit worried.

then we noticed an open pipe leading from the airbox, which had oil dripping from it....

long story short:
when the previous owner, my other younger brother, had last done an oil change, he never actually changed it; he just "topped it up"

sure enough, we drained two litres of oil before it returned to a normal level, and expect to drain a bit more once it's cooled down properly

so over the last month the airbox has been slowly filling with oil until it's come pissing out this random hose...

this random hose is something from the previous previous owner... we bought this bike from a dealer with less than 20k kms on it.... and this is something a dealer mechanic should have noticed:

the oil overflow/breather hose from a road bike normally goes from crank case into the airbox, where the oil will sit and vapours be sucked into carbies for burning. this way we don't need a seperate filter on the breather hose as the air filter is there.
to drain the airbox there is a cup shaped hose thing which you remove. some dork has gone and replaced this with a open hose.

why is this bad? for the last 5000km+ the bike has been taking in air from near the ground, straight into the airbox without passing through the air filter
- so all sorts of shit/dust/grit/sand has been sucked straight into the carbies/valves/piston/valves again, and while in the combustion chamber they can help create carbon/coke deposits

also, a motor with twice the recommended amount of oil is a BAD thing. the counterweights on the crankshaft etc will hit the oil, which isn't good in itself, but that will churn and aerate the oil, turning it into froth.
oil pumps aren't too effective at pumping froth, and froth, being mostly air, isn't a very good lubricant.

so what can we learn from this?
a hot engine has a lot of oil up in the head(s), so don't check the oil on a hot motor until it's had sufficient time to drain. (i've mucked that one up too)
screw the dipstick in by hand for christ's sake - we had to use pliers to open this one
hold the bike level!
if a hose is blocked, DO NOT replace it with an open one (and viceversa)
don't get your air filter wet. clean it with compressed air. this one is rooted, and feels like someone put air filter lube on it too.

what does this mean for the hornet?
it hasn't had an oil change in well over a year, so that will be done
new oil filter too
it needs a new air filter, the old one is soaked with oil and full of dirt anyway... i suspect the only reason the bike didn't cut out was the air bypassing the filter via the "custom intake hose"

fortunately, the good old honda doesn't seem to be suffering

/rant

lostinflyz
27th September 2008, 18:09
haynes manual for nc30's says to not screw the dip stick in. FYI

maybe different for different bikes

motorbyclist
27th September 2008, 18:20
had a look at the honda common service manual and the picture seems to agree

correction made (and that means we don't have to drain any further oil :))

EDIT: and my yamaha manual explicitly states not to screw the thing in - humble apologies

Squiggles
27th September 2008, 19:22
Now go out to the R6, and remove the front wheel, he must do penance for his idiocy.

Slyer
27th September 2008, 20:48
Topped up 4 stroke oil?
Lol!

Bute
27th September 2008, 21:02
hi there , where is the waitakere loops ? i have just got back into riding after a 6 year lay off and i'm looking for some good country roads here in Auckland

Slyer
27th September 2008, 21:07
Here is the ride in question:
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=82409
They have a route diagram and photos etc

Bute
27th September 2008, 21:30
thanks for that Slyer i know that route now , been there in my tin can before but will be sooo much better on me bike ...cheers :cool:

skidMark
27th September 2008, 21:36
Topped up 4 stroke oil?
Lol!

Sounds like something you would do man :pinch:

gijoe1313
28th September 2008, 00:41
Gah! :thud: Just as well these hornets are tough little buggers! Glad to hear you sorted it out, hopefully with the oil change and filter replacement it will be all tickety-boo again :yes:

Muwahahahha ... the swarm grows ...

Phurrball
28th September 2008, 15:03
(Wise words)

don't get your air filter wet. clean it with compressed air. this one is rooted, and feels like someone put air filter lube on it too.

What ANdrew said - Unless it's an aftermarket air filter, and you're supposed to use water as part of the manufacturer's cleaning regime (usually starting with a special cleaner before washing).

In the case of an aftermarket air filter, compressed air may destroy the filter element too.

Moral of story - be very sure of what kind of air filter you have - if you don't know, ask someone who does.

Follow the manufacturer's directions. The preceding is based on my K&N experience.

(Haven't checked to see if there is any air filter goodness under the tank of big yellow yet...)

slimjim
28th September 2008, 17:28
...fucken ass... nice brother you are...:zzzz:thought at least a bro would have ..had a bloody good look over it when your brother bought it...and what he belived the salesperson.fuck they turn up to work in cages.. lordy..lordy...when will one learn..:yawn:

motorbyclist
28th September 2008, 20:14
What ANdrew said - Unless it's an aftermarket air filter, and you're supposed to use water as part of the manufacturer's cleaning regime (usually starting with a special cleaner before washing).

ah yes

there's also the case of foam filters, which are very cleanable provided you use the right solvents for the lube you've got and the glue holding it together

...fucken ass... nice brother you are...:zzzz:thought at least a bro would have ..had a bloody good look over it when your brother bought it...and what he belived the salesperson.fuck they turn up to work in cages.. lordy..lordy...when will one learn..:yawn:

????

NOMIS
28th September 2008, 20:23
had a look at the honda common service manual and the picture seems to agree

correction made (and that means we don't have to drain any further oil :))

EDIT: and my yamaha manual explicitly states not to screw the thing in - humble apologies

was wondering why my hornet was pulling in your brothers so easily. sucks to hear hopefull no real damage made

motorbyclist
28th September 2008, 20:26
yeah well he reckons he needs moar power, so hopefully a functioning filter and unrestricted crank might help in that respect... (problem being he's used to a 400cc motox bike, which makes most road bikes feel weak)

NOMIS
28th September 2008, 20:45
yeah well he reckons he needs moar power, so hopefully a functioning filter and unrestricted crank might help in that respect... (problem being he's used to a 400cc motox bike, which makes most road bikes feel weak)

yeh i rode dirt bikes when i was a youngan but yeh no so much power lol.. was only a lil fella then. yeh well i mean when he was overtaking i was gaining him and i didnt even hit back a gear . So id say his will be a bit better once it gets sorted

motorbyclist
5th October 2008, 14:56
so, for those interested a new filter for a '97 cb250 hornet is $60 from japan

Taz
5th October 2008, 17:08
so, for those interested a new filter for a '97 cb250 hornet is $60 from japan

That's quite cheap.

motorbyclist
6th October 2008, 00:56
yeah, it looked pretty expensive too

getting it from wild west honda

managed to find an oil filter hiding in the shed