PDA

View Full Version : Bike is scrapmetal

Real_Wolf
30th September 2008, 08:41
Gave the guys a call this morning, they'd had a look at it, seen it was seized, seemed to be more of a coincidence.

They only changed the oil and oil filter, old oil filter was full of bits of metal. They didn't touch the engine in any way, and they aren't willing to fix it for free since its not really their fault.

Now the question is what to do with the scrapmetal. My dad suggested sticking it on trademe, but do you really reckon that would be worthwhile? Theres always take it to a wreckers.

Lastly, whichever is the best decision, gonna need the SMC towing service to help, it'll be sitting at motoworld albany, and we can pick it up on the weekend.

XxKiTtiExX
30th September 2008, 09:03
So the oil filter was full of bits of metal and they didn't seem to think it was a good idea to warn you when you came to pick up the bike?? :mellow:

Ragingrob
30th September 2008, 10:04
So the oil filter was full of bits of metal and they didn't seem to think it was a good idea to warn you when you came to pick up the bike?? :mellow:

+1 to this.

Maybe like a "Oh and hey your engine is ripping itself to pieces and is gonna root itself any minute" may have helped.

You could always go get a quote from a wreckers and then chuck it on trademe to see if ya get more than the quote.

Zim_Invader
30th September 2008, 10:08
:shit:..... rob norris!!!! ...:eek:! haha... haven't seen u at chiller and u haven't posted up in a while. haha. have u been, errmm... "busy" lately?

Zim_Invader
30th September 2008, 10:10
+1 ... well said mate!
strange thing that. generally, when a mechanic finds the slightest hint of something being amiss, they go and really push for you to get it repaired (by them!). - that's if they hadn't already fixed it up for you before you pick i up. they generally do what they can for the extra cash off you. i'm really surprised they didn't say a thing. very very suspect!:confused:

bomma
30th September 2008, 10:13
i vote with what xwhatsit, formerly known as xerxesdaphat, told ya at da chiller. seeing as the engine is the only thing fuct, see if you can get your hands on a working one and swap it over.

might want to consider not only the costs of getting the bike repaired, but also the costs of having to buy a new bike, riding time sacrificed in said time....and from memory i remember hearing you say that you'll get od's to finance the new bike....repayment on that od in x number of years....give it a thought

oh and yea those mechies are assholes....holy shit look at the time!!! better head into uni or ill miss the second lec of the day:shit:

xwhatsit
30th September 2008, 10:24
i vote with what xwhatsit, formerly known as xerxesdaphat, told ya at da chiller. seeing as the engine is the only thing fuct, see if you can get your hands on a working one and swap it over.
I still think that's the way to go, but it's not just the engine that's farked, there's summat up with the swingarm bushings as well. Still, you could do it cheaply.

Squiggles
30th September 2008, 13:08
If you're thinking of wrecking it, see what the demand for parts is out there... might be better to part it out

motorbyclist
30th September 2008, 15:23
if it was me i'd cut my losses and get rid of the thing, buy another bike for under 2k but this time get a good one

that bike simply isn't worth fixing and the chances of it not breaking again are pretty slim unless you want to spend the next 3 months in a shed working on it

quote from wrecker, then look at parting it off.... will be interesting to see if the bike being rare & old will make parts in demand or worthless

Real_Wolf
30th September 2008, 18:23
K, few things.

First, parents suggested I give a call to AA, and ask them if they are at all possibly liable for the fact that they didn't tell me that the old oil filter was filled with metal shards.

Doubt can get them to shell out for the whole bike, but might be able to get my servicing money back.

As Andrew said, not really worth buying a new engine what with the swing arm attachment costing me a fair bit too, in the long run would be cheaper to just cut the losses. Especially since alot of service places won't take a bike that old, and recommend I take it to a yamaha dealer (like I did, great idea that).

Can't PROVE it was their fault, whether it was or not, so theres no real chance of that.

What seems the most worthwhile now is to get a quote from the wrecker, and then see if I can get some money from trademe, if not, always have the wrecker to fall back on.

Already looking for a new bike, theres a quite nice kawasaki ZR250 Balius on there, that looks like its in pretty good nick, but I got a fair bit of time before buying anything, so not in any hurry. Doubt I can get anything before exams

XxKiTtiExX
30th September 2008, 19:49
Silly question but....

Did you actually check before you took it back to them to ensure that they actually remembered to put oil in it?

Zim_Invader
30th September 2008, 21:57
Silly question but....

Did you actually check before you took it back to them to ensure that they actually remembered to put oil in it?

from my convo with wolf earlier today, i get the impressino that there def was oil in teh bike. - he said it was "still boiling hot, after he pulled up at his friends place, an hour after turning the bike off (well, turning it off or it self induced comatose state - stall)". think the oil sounds a bit suspect too, but then i'm not that well versed in these type of lubricating compounds. hehe. (keep it to the basics... O'l Naturale!)

XxKiTtiExX
30th September 2008, 22:14
from my convo with wolf earlier today, i get the impressino that there def was oil in teh bike. - he said it was "still boiling hot, after he pulled up at his friends place, an hour after turning the bike off (well, turning it off or it self induced comatose state - stall)". think the oil sounds a bit suspect too, but then i'm not that well versed in these type of lubricating compounds. hehe. (keep it to the basics... O'l Naturale!)

I know jack shit, but do recall someone who lives up here. Got an oil and filter change done on her car mind you. Went to pick it up, drove down the road, car started making a hideous racket. She took it straight back to the shop. Some how they had managed to put the sump plug back in but didn't put any oil in the damn thing. Hence I asked.:pinch:

Real_Wolf
30th September 2008, 23:31
yah, was concerned about the oil, so checked its level. Don't have a dipstick, but a looking glass. Looked like the level was fine, but you never know.

motorbyclist
30th September 2008, 23:54
i'm still of the opinion that a bit of crap has blocked an oil passageway

possibly silicone if they used it to seal a gasket, possibly a bit of metal that got past the filter when they replaced it

most unfortunate, and may well have happened no matter who did the work on the bike

and yeah, getting the thing repaired is going to be difficult, but getting your money back for the work done could be a legal obligation...

2wheeljunkie
1st October 2008, 11:11
my 2cents bud, get rid of it the best way possible and get a better bike..its saves time, money and the pain of having to ring alot of people to get the old bike sorted..im only saying this cause ive gone through it..in the end it aint worth it..its not like its a custom or antique bike..unless you have formed a significant bond with it and wont part wit it.? :rockon:

BANZAI
1st October 2008, 14:18
MGST is selling his bike

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=82847

You could talk to him and maybe get club member discount? :p

It's a Honda but it's GB250 so it's damn good bike, should buy it!

Real_Wolf
1st October 2008, 15:30
For a bike that old, rather not pay 2750.

Sure, it probably works fine, but personally I'd like something a bit more recent.

xwhatsit
1st October 2008, 15:34
Two words: Plastic Maggot.

Ixion
1st October 2008, 15:41
Licence? Smallest Maggot is 400cc.

BANZAI
1st October 2008, 17:36
For a bike that old, rather not pay 2750.

Sure, it probably works fine, but personally I'd like something a bit more recent.

Meh he is willing to sell his bike asap and anyone haven't really interested in KB, that means you have chance to talk to him to cut the price off :p

I really want this bike have no money...

Ask him for 2k and buy the bike PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :p

BANZAI
1st October 2008, 17:41
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Classic-vintage/auction-179837711.htm

Buy this bike and secretly swap the engine :devil2:

Real_Wolf
1st October 2008, 21:00
lol, tempted.

But much more tempted by this, assuming its in good working condition

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=178729240

BANZAI
1st October 2008, 21:54
lol, tempted.

Hmmm but price looks dodgy... shouldnt it be more expensive than that?
Make sure you check it before you buy this time :p

Real_Wolf
2nd October 2008, 11:03
lol, yeah, thinking of making a road trip down with someone who knows more to take a look at it

Squiggles
2nd October 2008, 14:23
Alot of k's for yet another hard to find parts for bike...

Real_Wolf
2nd October 2008, 16:55
lol squigs, the zr250 shouldn't be THAT hard to find parts for, since its just a fairingless ZXR.

Has alot of k's yeah, but then again probably don't have the funds right now to buy it.

On a more relevant note, would the SMC tow service be available this weekend sometime to tow my sorry peice of junk to a wreckers?

portokiwi
2nd October 2008, 17:10
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Classic-vintage/auction-179837711.htm

Buy this bike and secretly swap the engine :devil2:

:shit: That looks like my first real bike.... Brought it in Lower Hutt.
Road it to ChCh in 85 havent seen it since:eek:
It was a nice bike lol.

motorbyclist
3rd October 2008, 12:58
MGST is selling his bike

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=82847

You could talk to him and maybe get club member discount? :p

It's a Honda but it's GB250 so it's damn good bike, should buy it!

damn that's nice

and at that price it's the bike dushi *should* have bought

lol, tempted.

dont

just, dont

if it was auckland maybe, but not that far.

it's a kawasaki with more than 50km, that timing chain needs doing every 20,000, and i have to ask how a water pump fails and how they noticed (new tming chain and clearances, dirt cheap bike: raised eyebrows)

motorbyclist
4th October 2008, 00:56
damn that's nice

and at that price it's the bike dushi *should* have bought

OMG

what a great looking bike. I'm thinking about buying my first bike and am dead keen on the cafe racer style as i find that the riding position is great for around city. Been looking closely at the yamaha srv250 (in particular the renaissa version) mainly coz i like the idea of the v-twin engine) Does ur bike vibrate much?

:killingme:

BANZAI
4th October 2008, 08:58
If you want vibration rev GN up to 9k revs hehehehehehehe

motorbyclist
4th October 2008, 13:48
take fxr down the motorway for half an hour

xwhatsit
5th October 2008, 15:33
Feh. You guys have got nothing.

I go through seat bolts every couple of months, they just disappear. I just spent four days tracking down why my headlight went walkabout -- all started from a fuse vibrating so much the top came unstuck from the bottom half. Then wiping out solder joints in the fuse box itself.

And here I am putting together a plan to stick an XT350 piston in the wee thing? With one less balancer shaft?

motorbyclist
6th October 2008, 00:54
my dirtbike makes the deck of the house shake when i go tearing past... about 100m away

400cc thumpers FTW