PDA

View Full Version : Replacement chain has no joiner

CookMySock
1st October 2008, 15:49
Uhh, I bought a replacement chain for our watercooled chink bike right, and it has no joiner in it.. no biggie, I'll just pull the wheel and clutch cover off.

Wrong! The chain goes through the frame dunnit. :slap:

Any hints ?

Steve

scorry
1st October 2008, 15:52
go back to the shop where you got it from mate

if you get a new joiner, make sure it is the same brand, cos they can be different sizes even with same chain

CookMySock
1st October 2008, 16:27
You can get pocket bike stuff from a SHOP ?? I got it off trademe.

Steve

DELLORTO
1st October 2008, 16:39
Polini has a shop in auckland......{got my bike from there} but there is not many chinese pocket bike shops around,

BigAl
1st October 2008, 18:18
Hey Db, you are far better off not using a joiner as they usually come off and either locking up the rear wheel or smashing your clutch cover.:doh:

To mount simply drop the rear swingarm off your B1, just a couple of bolts or buy a chain joiner such as Xtreme sell which are also usefull for tight links or adding/reducing chain length.

btw a MTB chain joiner will not work unfortunately.

Gadgit
1st October 2008, 18:47
Like Big Al said the joiners are crap... I use a hammer and punch to join/adjust my chains 5 min job... or drop the swing arm

CookMySock
1st October 2008, 18:57
Nar, I kid you not - the chain goes through a welded section of the wingarm. :crazy:

alrighty, hammer and punch, and peen the end over to join it? How do I get it apart without munting it?

ta,
Steve

Pedrostt500
1st October 2008, 19:06
Ok try this guy http:www.nzecobikes.co.nz or Jhon Brooks Ltd, Ph 04 568 6196.
You will need to know the chain pitch and also the width of the chain.

CookMySock
1st October 2008, 19:13
Hey Thanks Pedro. Pitch measured tooth tip to tip, and width is roller width?

Steve

xtreme
1st October 2008, 20:44
Hi
Yeah they changed the position of one of the swingarm supports and your right about not being able to put the chain on , Links are crap they just keep breaking and as Al says you will cause more damage.
I have handheld chain breakers / joiners for $25 .

Cheers Greg

dirtybomb
2nd October 2008, 08:55
Hey mate, just go down to Saeco or SKF with your chain.

Pocket bike chains are nothing special. Usualy just RS25 (1/4inch pitch) american standard. Its what was on my daytonas, and on my grc rep.

So ask for a RS25 or ASA25 conn link, or just put your chain on the counter and they will sort you out. Should cost under $5.

You will waste time trying to work out pitch yourself, just take it down there. Side plates, roller diameters etc can all vary so its better if they compare it to stock on shelf to make sure.

The part number is RS25-11 or RS25-12 for a half link.

You wont need a chain breaker, just an angle grinder and a punch to push the pin through.

If you have a decent brand of chain, the connecting link should be just as strong as the rest of the chain. (unless something hits the clip on the side of the connecting link, knocking it off.)

CookMySock
2nd October 2008, 13:28
u legend! Orf to SKF!

DB

Weaver
2nd October 2008, 13:31
Don't you think the word "Chink" is a little racially insensitive

CookMySock
2nd October 2008, 15:01
@dirtybomb, yep, SKF have the links. Part number to follow. They were rather embarrassed about the price.. a dollar ish each, so to make them feel better I bought ten. :laugh:

Don't you think the word "Chink" is a little racially insensitiveSure. ;) But if it were derogatory, then it was derogatory about a thing that is mine (the bike), so I stabbed myself.. Oh well.

Anyway, I said it very quickly and under my breath as well, and with a grin on my face, so no ones feelings would be hurt. ;)

And you have met me Weaver, so you know I am just being a smartass. Where the hell have you been anyway ? :rockon:

Steve

Weaver
2nd October 2008, 16:19
Destroying motorcycles on the rimutakas

325rocket
2nd October 2008, 16:31
Destroying motorcycles on the rimutakas

fuck ... not another one???

CookMySock
2nd October 2008, 21:37
Destroying motorcycles on the rimutakasWell, keep up the good work. ;)

Steve

Weaver
2nd October 2008, 21:41
fuck ... not another one???

No its just been the hyo I've crashed on there. The Honda gets given a hard time though