PDA

View Full Version : Balancer chain adjustment.

Magua
4th October 2008, 18:49
I set out with the ambition to adjust my balancer chain this afternoon, but I've hit a bit of a wall.

Attached are a few pictures from the manual and of the engine. As you can see if the punch mark on the end of the balancer shaft is below the three o'clock position, the chain must be replaced. Trouble is I can't see a punch mark anywhere. Perhaps I'm blind or looking in the wrong place? Your thoughts would be appreciated.

pete376403
4th October 2008, 20:16
Maybe it is underneath the bolt flange, as the manual diagram doesn't show the hex head of the bolt.

Magua
4th October 2008, 23:08
I think I found it. The surrounding area seems to fit with the diagram in the manual.

The Pastor
4th October 2008, 23:20
bingo!

So it looks like its sorted.

tri boy
5th October 2008, 08:04
I think I found it. The surrounding area seems to fit with the diagram in the manual.
Was going to post something about the adjustment last night, but beer goggles hid the keyboard from me.
If you do adjust the chain via the lever, do not apply force to take out all slack, otherwise the engine will develope a whine. Your on the right path. Never saw one of those systems fail.:cool:

Bonez
5th October 2008, 10:42
The chain you are looking at is the oil pump drive. The balance adjuster is fwd a up. This is the shaft that has the punch mark you should be looking at.

The punch mark is at the 1 o'clock position at the moment, so no worries. To adjust the balancer chain undo the locking nut that locks the chain tensioner adjustment quadrant (that triangular peice with the slot in it) down and to the left of this. The adjuster is spring loaded IIRC and should take slack out of the chain. (Its been a while since I owned my CB400T) Take note of where the punch mark is and retighen the bolt against the adjustment quadrant to the correct torque setting. Done.

Ns have an access hole in the rh side cover to carry out this task. My old T didn't ;).

BTW the pic in the manual shows the nut,washer and adjustment quadrant missing off the end of the rh end of the front balance shaft.

HTH

Edit-Yip you found it.

Magua
5th October 2008, 11:02
I couldn't see/hear the chain adjust itself, so I followed the manual in undoing both bolts and centered the plate. Now for the fun of getting the old gasket off.

tri boy
5th October 2008, 11:50
Bonez is spot on, the lever is for balance shaft.
(damn, the drugs did have side affects like they said that they would):doh: