PDA

View Full Version : Shifting Gears

Timati
6th October 2008, 11:33
Ok, might be a silly question however not sure if anyone comes across the situation when you are dropping gears i.e. slowing down, etc and you drop your gear into Neutral from second and the traffic lights go green for example, (1) is it safe to drop it to first while the bike is coasting (2) if no, what's the best thing do to? I tend to stop and drop the gear down to first and then ride off.

xwhatsit
6th October 2008, 11:36
(1) is it safe to drop it to first while the bike is coasting
Sure, why not? Although, I used to find this elicited a nasty `clunk' when I did this -- and others complained of the same thing. Not sure if it's such an issue with a 2T, but 4Ts (especially those with few cylinders) almost demand blipping the throttle on down-changes to get smooth. You still need to blip and match RPM going from neutral to 1st, and feather the clutch in the normal way.

One interesting thing you say is dropping from 2nd in neutral as you come up to the lights. I find this exceptionally difficult to do and it only ever happens by accident. Are you not trying to get it into 1st from 2nd? Ideally I like to stay in gear until I come to a stop, or maybe going less than walking speed, for safety reasons.

Timati
6th October 2008, 11:39
Sure, why not? Although, I used to find this elicited a nasty `clunk' when I did this -- and others complained of the same thing. Not sure if it's such an issue with a 2T, but 4Ts (especially those with few cylinders) almost demand blipping the throttle on down-changes to get smooth. You still need to blip and match RPM going from neutral to 1st, and feather the clutch in the normal way.

I do hear the nasty "clunk" sound on the occasions when I have dropped it to second then neutral, coasted and then dropped it to first however was wondering if it can cause any damage to the gears, etc. I always blip the throttle when down-shifting although not sure what you meant by "match RPM going from neutral to 1st"

Timati
6th October 2008, 12:03
One interesting thing you say is dropping from 2nd in neutral as you come up to the lights. I find this exceptionally difficult to do and it only ever happens by accident. Are you not trying to get it into 1st from 2nd? Ideally I like to stay in gear until I come to a stop, or maybe going less than walking speed, for safety reasons.

What I try and do is slow down, drop the gears e.g. 3, 2, 1 but sometimes by accident drop to neutral from second rather than first and obviously end up coasting just about to the point when the lights go green...

PirateJafa
6th October 2008, 12:26

This varies from bike to bike, depending on the gearbox. So, like GIJoe's RZ, go from second into neutral with ease. On others it is a mission to find it.

Like most things motorcycle-related - there is no 100% correct way to do anything. :)

bomma
6th October 2008, 12:28
coming upto lights i stay in 1st.....allows me to slow down faster with braking power to boot if needed and also gives me enough power should the need arise to motor out of the area quick.....try to stay out of neutral....cant really do much if the engine is disengaged.....

retro asian
6th October 2008, 12:31
[QUOTE=Timati;1758694]you drop your gear into Neutral from second and the traffic lights go green for example, (1) is it safe to drop it to first while the bike is coasting QUOTE]

Noob question: Wouldn't it be better to chuck it back into second?

xwhatsit
6th October 2008, 12:59
Mebbe, but he would have slowed down more by then and his bike is an RS250 two-stroke, doesn't have power all through the rev range like your VL250. So he'd probably end up lugging the engine. Why bikes like yours and mine are much kinder to the hamfisted (like me and you :D) than an RS250 or similar.

What I meant by `matching RPM' is just blipping the throttle, the reason you blip the throttle is to get the engine RPM as close to where it will be when you drop the gearbox into gear and release the clutch, so the engine doesn't have to suddenly speed up dramatically, which causes a big clunk and thump and isn't nice to your transmission. If you're accurate enough with blipping the throttle and are gentle with the clutch, you shouldn't get a clunk at all when going from neutral to 1st, no more than any other gearshift. It's much harder to do though, because you don't have that auditory cue from hearing the RPM in 2nd first.

Ixion
6th October 2008, 13:06
No objection from the mechanical point of view. Danger on an RS250 is that you drop it into first, and straight into the power band.Hello, Mr Wheelstand. Why is my bike on top of me?

EDIT: Noob's might care to take note. A missed gear change on a four stroke will at very worst mean a bent valve. A missed gear change on a two stroke can kill you dead. Best to make VERY sure it doesn't happen. Two smokers are not forgiving. And, as someone said, they don't make good communters (can be done, but you'll need to work hard at it)

Timati
6th October 2008, 14:14
[QUOTE=Timati;1758694]you drop your gear into Neutral from second and the traffic lights go green for example, (1) is it safe to drop it to first while the bike is coasting QUOTE]

Nope. If I upshift it back to second gear, I'll simply be dragging the bike.

Mebbe, but he would have slowed down more by then and his bike is an RS250 two-stroke, doesn't have power all through the rev range like your VL250. So he'd probably end up lugging the engine. Why bikes like yours and mine are much kinder to the hamfisted (like me and you :D) than an RS250 or similar.

That's exactly what happens ...

What I meant by `matching RPM' is just blipping the throttle, the reason you blip the throttle is to get the engine RPM as close to where it will be when you drop the gearbox into gear and release the clutch, so the engine doesn't have to suddenly speed up dramatically, which causes a big clunk and thump and isn't nice to your transmission. If you're accurate enough with blipping the throttle and are gentle with the clutch, you shouldn't get a clunk at all when going from neutral to 1st, no more than any other gearshift. It's much harder to do though, because you don't have that auditory cue from hearing the RPM in 2nd first.

Righto. That makes sense since I only have only heard it "clunk" when I haven't blipped the throttle.

No objection from the mechanical point of view. Danger on an RS250 is that you drop it into first, and straight into the power band.Hello, Mr Wheelstand. Why is my bike on top of me?

EDIT: Noob's might care to take note. A missed gear change on a four stroke will at very worst mean a bent valve. A missed gear change on a two stroke can kill you dead. Best to make VERY sure it doesn't happen. Two smokers are not forgiving. And, as someone said, they don't make good communters (can be done, but you'll need to work hard at it)

Hence my query. If for whatever reason I have dropped it into neutral from second, do I stop the bike, shift it into first and take off again...

Ixion
6th October 2008, 14:19

Hence my query. If for whatever reason I have dropped it into neutral from second, do I stop the bike, shift it into first and take off again...

Probably safest, on a two smoker. At least you don't have the reverse worry that affects riders of big singles, the likelihood of locking the rear wheel.

motorbyclist
6th October 2008, 15:05
if you're brave you could rev it right into the power, chuck it into 2nd and ride the ride the clutch up to speed

works for my 400 single
works for my 400 v4
it's the way i ride most 250 and 150cc motorbikes - redline with clutch for power control:D

worked on a 600cc IL4 but i treated it like the 400 v4 and got a nice sideways drift going across the intersection, then a wheelie doing the same trick in 3rd gear on the motorway (forgot i had 120hp, not 60)
which is why i elected NOT to buy the 600 and got another 400 instead of learning respect for the bike:innocent:
expect similar on the two stroke if you fuck it up

ital916
8th October 2008, 17:43
even though my two smoker was a 150, if i did that i did what andrew said, clicked it into second revved her up and rode the clutch. Either way you go if your sensible you should be right. Can't fear the bike or the bike will take advantage of it.