PDA

View Full Version : 82 gpz1100 clutch

keithbuckby
6th October 2008, 16:15
have cleaned everything, all looks okay, seems to be not engaging the clutch, when sitting at lights seems to be wanting to move, worm seems to be moving right, if I adjust it too much it jumps right around, any clues guys?, maybe if I do an oil change, could it still be grabbing. Thanks in advance.

Max Preload
7th October 2008, 00:11
How did this come about?

keithbuckby
7th October 2008, 07:31
was like it when I bought it couple of weeks ago, the guy I bought it from said it was always like that, trouble with an older bike I guess

pete376403
7th October 2008, 22:14
Clutch basket could be worn where the tangs on the plates contact, ie the surface is notched rather than smooth. Even though the pressure plate disengages the plates get stuck in the notches. The inner hub could be worn in the same way where the steel plates contact, the splines should be smooth, not "rippled" along the length.

keithbuckby
8th October 2008, 09:55
thanks for replying, so do you think I should replace the complete basket or just the plates

Max Preload
8th October 2008, 15:01
Don't go replacing anything until you'e checked it.

I can't visualise the system they use for clutch actuation. Got any pictures or a description?

Max Preload
8th October 2008, 15:05
Have a look here (http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/mechanics-corner/81273-clutch-release-problem-1984-gpz1100-a2.html).

keithbuckby
8th October 2008, 15:55
exact same problem, cleaned it all as they had, but no better, I am beginning to think I might have to get the gorse out of my pockets and put it into the shop, the actuator is a worm I think, with bearings

pete376403
8th October 2008, 20:18
the two parts of the clutch release are like a ramp, when the lever rotates the balls ride up the ramp, pushes the pushrod through the centre of the mainshaft against the pressure place, releasing the clutch pack. Part 92002 is only the adjuster, not a worm release mech. Given the age of the bike I'd suggest the plates (mostly the fibre faced ones) will be worn and require more movement of the pressure plate to fully release than the ramp/ball mech can provide. Measure the thickness of the plates against the spec given in the service manual. While you're in there check for wear on the basket and hub.
Should be heaps of aftermarket clutch parts available for these given the popularity of the big K engines for drag racing.

98tls
8th October 2008, 20:27
As above,fwiw the problem with a worm drive is most dont bother with any maintenance and if they do bother removing it they lose a few bearings whilst its off.