PDA

View Full Version : Caffeine racer thread

BANZAI
11th October 2008, 13:06
Coffee and uni students are strongly related. There's no doubt about it :p

So, what's you all uni-biker's favourite Cafe?

Share us your secret hiding spot!

Simply post up where it is, or upload photo of cafe with or without your bike, tell us what's good in menu, is there bike parking, waitress is hot etc...

First post to the thread, my favourite Cafe in CBD area:

D2L cafe

52 Courthouse lane, CBD
http://www.wises.co.nz/l/Auckland/Auckland+City+Centre/Courthouse+Lane/
http://maps.google.co.jp/maps?f=q&hl=ja&geocode=&q=Courthouse+lane+auckland&sll=36.5626,136.362305&sspn=33.99927,56.601562&ie=UTF8&ll=-36.847311,174.767096&spn=0.008328,0.013819&z=16

Nice little urban cafe in back of business area.
No bike parking but can park 1bike in front of cafe like what I did in photo or theres bike parking on chancery street.

Coffee's nice and breakfast menu is great! I like the pancake with banana and bacon. Yumyum :)

bomma
11th October 2008, 14:27
my mate owns that cafe :D he's an awesome guy and yes it's a nice little spot away from uni:niceone:

mj_scorpio
11th October 2008, 14:44
In hamilton there's a gr8 1 in the Hillcrest area called Jacks, lots of parkin down side street and does gr8 coffee, wonderful for the hangover :yes:

swee
11th October 2008, 16:44
for coffee Sheinkin Cafe on Lorne street is nice and strong, for pies you can't beat that bakery on Quay street along the strip where the AA / KFC / McDonalds is.

EJK
11th October 2008, 22:11
One reason I don't like coffees: I make them an average of 8-90 cups a shift...

TOTO
11th October 2008, 22:56

black with two shugars please...

EJK
11th October 2008, 22:58
black with two shugars please...

sorry we don't do sugars. Sugars are by the window sir (Seriously thats what you will hear when you ask for it)

But since you are a biker... Brown or white?

TOTO
11th October 2008, 23:03
One hot brazilian for me thanks. Lots of cream too, please.

BANZAI
12th October 2008, 06:25
my mate owns that cafe :D he's an awesome guy and yes it's a nice little spot away from uni:niceone:

Is he that asian guy with black glasses? When I had coffe other day he asked me hot to get motorcycle licence lol

In hamilton there's a gr8 1 in the Hillcrest area called Jacks, lots of parkin down side street and does gr8 coffee, wonderful for the hangover :yes:

Haven't been to Hamilton yet(on my bike), might check it out when I got there :)

for coffee Sheinkin Cafe on Lorne street is nice and strong, for pies you can't beat that bakery on Quay street along the strip where the AA / KFC / McDonalds is.

Sounds good! For pies I reckon Jesters are better than those traditional thick pastery pies. Thanks for the post :)

sorry we don't do sugars. Sugars are by the window sir (Seriously thats what you will hear when you ask for it)

But since you are a biker... Brown or white?

Hmmm is there any Korean sugar? I guess it's gonna be Hot and Spicy :lol:

bomma
12th October 2008, 09:05
Is he that asian guy with black glasses? When I had coffe other day he asked me hot to get motorcycle licence lol

yep, his name's rick....really funny dude, i used to work with him back in the day at bond n bond....only recently found out that he owns that place

Nivosus
12th October 2008, 10:53
cafe melba
http://www.cafemelba.co.nz/

best cafe in auckland imo

motorbyclist
12th October 2008, 12:51
anywhere within walking distance of engineering that sells coffe and isn't called starbucks

but seriously, in the CBD there's that cafe next door to subway at AUT - try their apple muffins heated up :drool:
but my favourite is still the Hammer (or Hardware or something) up in titirangi - great coffee, great food, licenced, and a good start/finish to an awesome ride as it's bang on the end of titirangi rd by huia rd

bigfoot
12th October 2008, 13:04
For anyone that goes to starbucks, Mc donalds coffee rated higher than starbucks in a blind test ! Probably more spat into though. Watch out for green marshmellows

motorbyclist
12th October 2008, 13:05
last mcdonald coffee i had was disgusting :sick:

klyong82
12th October 2008, 13:37
My favourite coffee ,lunchbar outlet would be the one in Whangamata....pies are lovely there tooo mmmhhhh........need to ride down there again Bomma.....the other coffee place I have to like is the one that someone makes for me.....at her place...

Choco
12th October 2008, 14:08

:yes:
I hear ya bro, i only drink hot chocolates.
We give better service though, we add the sugars if you ask us to!
Can i have a decaf extra hot double shot soy milk medium moca? (been asked to make it before haha)

EJK
12th October 2008, 16:18
Yeah something like that!

Hey have you tried Soy milk hot chocolate with Hazelnut shot?

O
M
G

It's farkin nice

rie
12th October 2008, 16:30
1. okra on sandringham road. waitstaff are hilarious; good folks. bikes come and go all the time because of the awesome parking. waitstaff often concerned that we had secretly coordinated a motorcycle convention at the cafe.

inevitably when another biker arrives they ask if we know each other. coffee is consistently good. they seem to think my name is michelle.

2. starks at the civic. go there and spy on aucklanders minding their own business. rate members of the public silly for hot points. emo kids don't get rated. coffee is ok. go there for alcohol instead. top points for spotting chicks who can't walk in heels and men with bald patches shaped like animals.

Slyer
12th October 2008, 18:58
I have one coffee once every couple of months and only because someone makes it for me. I've paid for a coffee maybe twice?

So yes, not much experience with cafes here. :)

Squiggles
12th October 2008, 20:12
I rarely drink anything hot :mellow: Am i missing out on something?

Pedrostt500
12th October 2008, 20:19
107698A mate of mine runs this Cafe, Petes Palace, any where in NZ. This was Taken at Anaura Bay about 20 min north of Tolaga Bay.

shingo
12th October 2008, 20:20

No. Coffee is horrible, tis only good for staying awake and even then it never lasts long.

bomma
12th October 2008, 20:24

not even hot chocolate?!?!?! :shit:

Choco
12th October 2008, 20:34
Yeah something like that!

Hey have you tried Soy milk hot chocolate with Hazelnut shot?

O
M
G

It's farkin nice

real? hm... sounds like someone has been experimenting :shifty:
Ever tried anything with the Caramel Shot? Smells nice as!

Hanne
12th October 2008, 20:55
I like this little yellow cafe on the Hauraki Plains, if we are ever going that way we pull in, I think it is called "corogate cafe"
They have jigsaw puzzles glued to the roof and if you order a scone it comes on a little silver 2-tier platter. And there are dinky tea cups for sale and old toys too and Coro Street posters next to framed images of all the English monarchs from the last 200 years.
Full of character!

BANZAI
13th October 2008, 14:17
Thanks for posts guys!

Uni work is getting shit, wish I can go have a coffee outside CBD...

Oh, so which places do you guys work EJ and Choco??

I'll come over and order some very complicated recipe :p

not even hot chocolate?!?!?! :shit:

Hot Chotolate is great! I need very very sweet and rich one right now....

xwhatsit
13th October 2008, 15:29
No. Coffee is horrible, tis only good for staying awake and even then it never lasts long.

You are fookin' bananas! Coffee is the nectar of the gods :woohoo:

Only one way to drink it, though. Espresso -- no water, sugar, milk, any of that shit. Just straight coffee in a dinky wee cup.

Phurrball
13th October 2008, 16:28
^^^ Quite right. Coffee should not be too adulterated. Starbucks shit isn't even coffee at all.

I'm quite partial to making my own espresso at home [saves cash without cutting quality, Coffee heaven only ever minutes away]

This would explain the shiny La Pavoni on my bench and sometime arrivals of courier packages of coffee beans. (Bravo from Dunedin FTW!)

It was only with the purchase of my Bandit in 2005 that I had a vehicle worth more than my coffee machine for the first time (a fact I was perversely proud of, and kept me driving really shitty old cars)

(Don't get any ideas - the shiny Italian needs a service ATM-which I am too poor to get done! Blardy Italian machinery - thank fark for the plunger)

Hanne
13th October 2008, 16:59
^^ Ross, that's brilliant!
Actually my dad recently bought a new coffee machine for his work. The amount of research he did was insane! And then they formed the "coffee committee" to choose which brand of coffee they wanted, but because the uni only endorses one kind they had to fill in all sorts of forms to get special dispensation to buy different coffee beans from some place closer by.... Honsetly, the drama was better than reality TV.
Being engineers, of course they ended up with one with all sorts of shiny knobs and gauges that tell you the pressure and temperature of absolutely everything.
Makes bloody good coffee though.

ehab2weelr
13th October 2008, 17:08
this is what too much coffee does to U!!!!!!!!

slofox
13th October 2008, 17:38

It's at 31 Cambridge Road......AND there's a wicked wine shop in the same block!!!!!! mine actually......coughcoughcough

EJK
13th October 2008, 17:52

Yeah I prefer coke too...

Oh, so which places do you guys work EJ and Choco??

I'll come over and order some very complicated recipe :p

Come if you can :yes: Its quite far and hope your GN will last the distance! :laugh:

EJK
13th October 2008, 17:54
real? hm... sounds like someone has been experimenting :shifty:
Ever tried anything with the Caramel Shot? Smells nice as!

They DO smell nice! :D

Btw you don't have to pay for it if the drink is considered "practicing" :shifty:

EJK
13th October 2008, 17:56
It's at 31 Cambridge Road......AND there's a wicked wine shop in the same block!!!!!! mine actually......coughcoughcough

Do you have Moscato wines? If so I'll come over sometime :done: I don't know any other shitty vague named vvines but thst the only one I prefer to drink.

Choco
13th October 2008, 18:12
Come if you can :yes: Its quite far and hope your GN will last the distance! :laugh:

You'll be sure to see us eventually if you ride enough!

They DO smell nice! :D

Btw you don't have to pay for it if the drink is considered "practicing" :shifty:

:shifty:

shingo
13th October 2008, 20:34
You better be careful EJ, motorb the multi quote nazi will be onto you for you non use of the multi quote function :jerry:

Ragingrob
13th October 2008, 21:40
I'll have one beer thanks.

No wait, make that a blue powerade!

Oh, and a beer.

Nagash
13th October 2008, 21:42
Never seen a coffee drinker like a female regular at the place I work.. Every day she comes in and orders a 6 shot espresso.. twice a day.

That's gotta fuck with the system a wee bit.

Choco
13th October 2008, 21:42
non use of the multi quote function :jerry:

A what?
is there some fancy way to do multi quotes? i just copy and paste them into one post haha :pinch:

shingo
13th October 2008, 21:46
A what?
is there some fancy way to do multi quotes? i just copy and paste them into one post haha :pinch:

You just click the multi button at the bottom right of each post you want to quote. Then click quote when you have selected them all and it will put all the quotes into your one post.

motorbyclist
13th October 2008, 22:04
lol!

10char

BANZAI
13th October 2008, 22:30
(Don't get any ideas - the shiny Italian needs a service ATM-which I am too poor to get done! Blardy Italian machinery - thank fark for the plunger)

I think Andrew and Steve can fix it and we can have coffee at your place :shifty:

Yeah I prefer coke too...

Ummmm where about's? Back of Earth or something?

Another place from me.

Claven 'A', at St Paul st. Very close to uni, next to Subway.

Coffee is ok I think, just it's convenient and different from uni cafe. (altho that place next to Starbucks is also good!)

There's heaps of bike parkings around, you can even park inside the wilson parking in the street:)

Phurrball
14th October 2008, 08:00
I think Andrew and Steve can fix it and we can have coffee at your place :shifty:(snippy)

Hmmm - if you like bike-related filth in your espresso when the crusty water pump from the back of Squiggs' shed is plumbed in and everything liberally lubed with WD40... :drool:

But I guess Stevo could wear his awsome fix-it track pants/rags! It's almost worth risking it for the awesomeness of those alone!

(Really though - I was just made afraid, as Espresso Engineers told me they don't do quotes and for my machine the bill was likely to be anywhere from $50 for a flush and service to ~$300 for a full rebuild :shit: Too poor to risk it ATM. Soon.:love:)

Squiggles
14th October 2008, 11:40
But I guess Stevo could wear his awsome fix-it track pants/rags! It's almost worth risking it for the awesomeness of those alone!

Nar, i've upgraded to workshop overalls :Punk:

Phurrball
14th October 2008, 12:03
Nar, i've upgraded to workshop overalls :Punk:

Gutted - :confused: I'm off to a corner to cradle myself while gently rocking back and forth in memory of the awesomness of those pants...

slofox
14th October 2008, 12:11
Do you have Moscato wines? If so I'll come over sometime :done: I don't know any other shitty vague named vvines but thst the only one I prefer to drink.

Yep - Trentham Estate and Brown Bros.........

avgas
14th October 2008, 12:15
Siemens penrose (http://aunz.siemens.com/ContactSupport/Pages/ContactSupport.aspx)
<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=siemens+penrose&amp;ie=UTF8&amp; ll=-36.921678,174.821151&amp;spn=0.027146,0.024704&amp;t=h&amp;out put=embed&amp;s=AARTsJo_XaKBcrtaSqlJlmmm-8BcBmbHSg"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=siemens+penrose&amp;ie=UTF8&amp; ll=-36.921678,174.821151&amp;spn=0.027146,0.024704&amp;t=h&amp;sou rce=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

Sneek in there and on the ground floor they have a cool little coffee machine, and some chairs to sit down.
Talk as if your qualified engineers.

Choco
14th October 2008, 23:19
You just click the multi button at the bottom right of each post you want to quote. Then click quote when you have selected them all and it will put all the quotes into your one post.

lol!

Woah, thats actually pretty sweet!
Guess you learn something new everyday day aye!

motorbyclist
14th October 2008, 23:49
omg how can so many people not know about the multiquote?!

mj_scorpio
14th October 2008, 23:59

Now i no its a KB's store I will be sure to stop by...i'm due for another bottle or 2! a\:rolleyes:

ital916
15th October 2008, 06:13
BEST CAFE EVER IS JJ MURPHYS IN WELLINGTON...ACTUALLY ITS NOT EVEN A CAFE ITS THE BEST PUB EVER! A PINT AND POOL FOLLOWED BY LAMB SHANK THAT MELTS OFF THE BONE!......cafes...humph bunch of wusses you lot.

Choco
15th October 2008, 15:23

They teach us nothing in schools these days :no:

EJK
15th October 2008, 15:27

chill

Phurrball
15th October 2008, 15:44
BEST CAFE EVER IS JJ MURPHYS IN WELLINGTON...ACTUALLY ITS NOT EVEN A CAFE ITS THE BEST PUB EVER! A PINT AND POOL FOLLOWED BY LAMB SHANK THAT MELTS OFF THE BONE!......cafes...humph bunch of wusses you lot.

*SHOUTING* in RED no less.

Hmmm. Clearly all that carcass eating at pubs has planted prions in your brain.

avgas
15th October 2008, 21:27
haha classic
they should call you mr pedantic......
multiquote sucks man - build a brigde or learn to deal with people in the real world lol
be water, when water falls into the cup, the water becomes the cup

motorbyclist
16th October 2008, 00:05
what could possibly suck about multiquote when people would otherwise piss around putting up 5 individual posts? infact, you're the only one who seems to be against it...

ital916
16th October 2008, 05:36
*SHOUTING* in RED no less.

Hmmm. Clearly all that carcass eating at pubs has planted prions in your brain.

its not shouting Im just exclaiming with happiness, red is a happy colour lol:laugh:

BANZAI
27th October 2008, 22:59
Maybe I should follow the trend and make thread title as I love Coffee?

Found one nice place in Vulcan lane! Most coffee for $3.50 wheres other places cost over $4 in CBD!!!!

Can't remember the exact name but it was something like Vulcan Cafe or something..

Slyer
28th October 2008, 07:35
Hmmm I see to remember going somewhere on that street..