PDA

View Full Version : Non-glycol coolant?

sharky
13th October 2008, 06:13
What product can you race guys recommend????

Tony.OK
13th October 2008, 07:44
I use Cool Aide by Maxima, seems to do the trick and it has dropped running temp by a couple of degrees too.
Water Wetter seems to be very popular too.
Really dpends on what your local stocks, but anything is better than water in regards to seals and corrosion inhibiters.

sharky
13th October 2008, 09:26
Cheers Tony. I'll have a look for it.

tri boy
13th October 2008, 18:49
Just remember that non glycol products have a lower lubricating property that can cause premature failure of water pump shafts/bearings etc.
Engines actually run coolest with just distilled water, but as we know, water has damn near zero lubrication properties,
Find the best product that meets the allowed criteria. My two cents.

ArcherWC
13th October 2008, 19:50
Maxima gets my vote to Tony

but then I would say that

rustys
14th October 2008, 05:55
"RED LINE" Water Wetter, available from BNT automotive Parts.

t3mp0r4ry nzr
14th October 2008, 05:57
cool aid is great. noticabley drops the temps.!
I want to try water wetter next. it makes claims of dropping temp big time

cs363
14th October 2008, 17:52
Engine Ice (http://www.engineice.cc/) available from most bike shops or they can order it for you. Corrosion inhibitor, with lubricating properties as well as reducing operating temps.
It's poly-glycol based and is approved by MNZ for road race use.
Ethylene Glycol based coolants are the nasty ones....

Retails for about $35-40 for 2 litres pre-mixed.

FROSTY
21st October 2008, 13:32
My advice, Water wetter is bloody good stuff. BUT unless you have back to back meetings. Id suggest you put a glycol based coolant back into the bike between meetings. It keeps the seals and bearings propperly lubricated

cs363
21st October 2008, 17:18
My advice, Water wetter is bloody good stuff. BUT unless you have back to back meetings. Id suggest you put a glycol based coolant back into the bike between meetings. It keeps the seals and bearings propperly lubricated

X 2 on that and not to mention anti-corrosion properties. :)

Kickaha
21st October 2008, 17:25

Water wetter is advertised as providing lubrication for seals, I certainly never had a problem with leaving in it for a season at at time when racing Karts

I also used a product from STP, I can't remember what it was but it was a anti corrosion and seal lubricant only

cs363
21st October 2008, 17:59
Water wetter is advertised as providing lubrication for seals, I certainly never had a problem with leaving in it for a season at at time when racing Karts

I also used a product from STP, I can't remember what it was but it was a anti corrosion and seal lubricant only

Hmm...checked out their website and I see you are correct. :Oops:
I could have sworn the last time I used WW (admittedly probably close to 10 years ago) it had some caution on it about not providing long term corrosion protection etc - either my memory is failing (highly likely!) or they've made a change to the formulation/advertising/labelling etc or I'm confusing it with something else...........oh well, my bad - as you were :)

FROSTY
22nd October 2008, 08:19
Water wetter is advertised as lube for seals Im hering ya. But when I hauled the water pump and rad out of the SV I noticed things looked a bit "furry" in there.(alloy corrosion) Thats when I went back to tossing the glycol back in be tween meetings.
It could be from the last owner running straight water but I figure it does no harm.
Mind you keep in mind I changed my oil after each national meet too.
Paranoid bastard that I am

cs363
22nd October 2008, 08:52
Water wetter is advertised as lube for seals Im hering ya. But when I hauled the water pump and rad out of the SV I noticed things looked a bit "furry" in there.(alloy corrosion) Thats when I went back to tossing the glycol back in be tween meetings.
It could be from the last owner running straight water but I figure it does no harm.
Mind you keep in mind I changed my oil after each national meet too.
Paranoid bastard that I am

Paranoia is good - you end up fixing problems before they happen! lol

scuzeme
22nd October 2008, 15:18
"RED LINE" Water Wetter, available from BNT automotive Parts.

+1

Do you mix it with anything? like anti freeze

vifferman
22nd October 2008, 15:32
+1

Do you mix it with anything? like anti freeze
No, that's the point.
You're not allowed to use glycol based anti-freeze on racetracks, coz it's very slippery if it escapes.
You don't need anti-freeze unless you live somewhere the temperature gets below 0 Celsius.

scuzeme
22nd October 2008, 16:23
No, that's the point.
You're not allowed to use glycol based anti-freeze on racetracks, coz it's very slippery if it escapes.
You don't need anti-freeze unless you live somewhere the temperature gets below 0 Celsius.

I commented on the Antifreeze for its anti corrosive qualities not its anti coagulation qualities.
Can you get non glycol anti freeze? I think Redline WW advises that you may want to mix antfreeze with it.

Cheers

cs363
22nd October 2008, 16:54
You guys need to get your heads around the difference between Ethylene Glycol (conventional base for anti-freeze, not legal for road racing) and Propylene Glycol (base for Engine Ice, Amsoil Propylene Glycol AF and a number of others) calling all anti-freeze glycol is a misnomer.

Propylene Glycol based coolants are 100% legal for MNZ road race events (I have a letter from them to prove it) and coolants using this base have all the lubricating and anti corrosion properties of conventional anti-freeze without all the toxic side effects. Propylene Glycol is safe enough to drink.....if you were keen enough. Maxima Cool Aide is totally glycol free according to their literature though it's hard to find what it is actually based on (though the MSDS sheets state that it has toxic ingredients) so not sure of it's legality for road racing.

Anti-freeze is also a bit misleading as the main requirement these days is more as an anti corrosion agent due to most modern engines having a mix of different metals making them prone to corrosion from electrolysis etc.
Though of course it still acts as an anti-freeze agent and also as an anti-boil agent.