PDA

View Full Version : Gear selector doesn't stop at limits - XR200

oldskool
15th October 2008, 09:58
Hiya,

The bike is an XR200R '86 model.

When looking for 1st the gear selector can keep clicking down. 1st gear is fine but the selector doesn't stop at the limit. So you gotta keep a mental count if you want to find neutral. Is this a precursor to a potential gearbox problem?

Sometimes the gearbox can get stuck in 3rd when shifting down to 2nd and to get it out of 3rd you have to blip the throttle a bit and try again. Most times this 'blip' frees up the stickiness on the first attempt.
The clutch has just been done (not sure if it was just a fibre replacement), - aaah maybe it just needs a slight adjustment?

Has anyone had any experience with these little niggles? Will they be a big job to sort out or should I just live with it and talk nicely to the old girl when I hop on.

cave weta
15th October 2008, 10:31
Hiya,

Has anyone had any experience with these little niggles? Will they be a big job to sort out or should I just live with it and talk nicely to the old girl when I hop on.

I have a couple of old girls that I hop on to now and again- yes they love to be spoken to nicely. so much more than the younger ones that dont mind how they are treated so much.
Alzhiemers may be the problem, an old girl I had once would just wander off in the middle of 'a ride' and forget what we were doing!- Training and constant attention, oh and sweet nothings whisperered in her carby at the right time will do wonders. try phrases like 'whos ya daddy' as you slam it into gear and 'you know you like it like this' when have to hold it in with your foot.
aside from that just tell her that she will always be the one for you, but sneak off to MRMotorcycles and develop a new relationship with more mutual benefits.......:buggerd:

oldskool
15th October 2008, 11:07
Alzhiemers may be the problem, an old girl I had once would just wander off in the middle of 'a ride' and forget what we were doing!

Sounds to me like you've done your fair share of riding old dirt(y) bikes. :wari:
Do the younger ones think you're a good ride? :innocent:

motorbyclist
18th October 2008, 21:06
1st gear is fine but the selector doesn't stop at the limit.

whaddaya mean?

oldskool
18th October 2008, 21:43
It just keeps on clicking (that is, if you keep at it) once you reach 1st. Like you'd think there was a -1 gear, then a -2 gear etc etc etc.

Anyway I think I know what the problem is with the sticky downshifting. I found it on here http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=695186 and it spurred my memory on an old Suzi A100 I once had in 1979. It had a 'rounded star' problem I eventually fixed.

Fortunately it's not a biggy.

Well just spent the day swapping my front forks to a 1998 set and the swingarm and rear shock to a 1998 XR200 as well. Bugger me but the front forks are like 1 1/2" shorter and the 1998 prolink linkages are setup slightly different to the '86. Well at least I have a fresher rear shock and newer swingarm. Bike sits lower tho'. I read somewhere I can swap the '86 fork springs and dampener into the '98 to get the front fork length back. Also that I can bolt straight onto the rear a XR250 shocky to gain 2" of height.

Looking forward to Woodhill tomorrow to test it.

motorbyclist
18th October 2008, 21:48
It had a 'rounded star' problem I eventually fixed.

was my thinking too but wasn't sure from teh description...

oldskool
18th October 2008, 21:51
yeah a common problem I have found when relating to engineers! (me being a closet ponytail!)