PDA

View Full Version : gsxr400 gk73a running on 3

Squiggles
15th October 2008, 21:07
Well allrighty then, i need some ideas as to where to head with this
I've got a 73a in the shed, came to me with a butchered wiring loom amongst other bits, no ignition no nothing, jumping the starter turned her over. I replaced the loom and hooked everything up, we have ignition spark etc etc

She's a bitch to start and when she does its only on 3 (#4 has the cold pipe), i've cleaned out the carbs (did not dissasemble the rail though), theres fresh fuel in the bowl, she has spark.

Next step would of course be a compression test, well its a pissy wee plug, fits a 16mm socket, guess its an 8 or 10mm thread. I used a rubber type which was a bitch to fit into #4, and got out roughly 120-125psi, on number 1 i got 145, but t'was alot easier to fit in there as theres no coolant pipes in the vicinity.

Cant find a blardy manual, even though i'm sure i've got one, gsf400 manual says the limit is 115, with the norm between 140 and 220.

Edit: Found my gixxer manual, blardy things in jap tho, and cant find any readings in it.

Where to next? Valve clearances etc?

Should mention i've got a supposed runner of a motor sitting in the shed if this one is bung, but im doubtful theres anything wrong with this one.

Chuck ideas at me :Punk:

Ragingrob
15th October 2008, 21:14
Here's an idea Stevo... Ya shoulda got a HONDA!

:bleh:

Chrislost
15th October 2008, 21:36
Here's an idea Stevo... Ya shoulda got a HONDA!

:bleh:

"kin aye!

all you need to do to them is tickle them in the right places(be it the big ends, the carbs, or the electrickery) and off they go...

Squiggles
16th October 2008, 14:34
bumps ftw.

QMOTO
16th October 2008, 14:49
Side Stand kill switch ?

I got me a full Workshop manual somewhere around here, have to look deep for it on the puter

breakaway
16th October 2008, 17:16
If 3 cyilnders work and one doesn't, how could the side stand kill switch possibly be at fault?

Quasievil
16th October 2008, 17:28
If 3 cyilnders work and one doesn't, how could the side stand kill switch possibly be at fault?

Yeah your right, I didnt read that bit, its okay, I laugh at myself all the time

Squiggles
17th October 2008, 07:29
I got me a full Workshop manual somewhere around here, have to look deep for it on the puter

Manuals are always good, the jap one i have randomly has a couple of english sections in it

kiwi cowboy
17th October 2008, 22:06
Well allrighty then, i need some ideas as to where to head with this
I've got a 73a in the shed, came to me with a butchered wiring loom amongst other bits, no ignition no nothing, jumping the starter turned her over. I replaced the loom and hooked everything up, we have ignition spark etc etc

She's a bitch to start and when she does its only on 3 (#4 has the cold pipe), i've cleaned out the carbs (did not dissasemble the rail though), theres fresh fuel in the bowl, she has spark.

Next step would of course be a compression test, well its a pissy wee plug, fits a 16mm socket, guess its an 8 or 10mm thread. I used a rubber type which was a bitch to fit into #4, and got out roughly 120-125psi, on number 1 i got 145, but t'was alot easier to fit in there as theres no coolant pipes in the vicinity.

Cant find a blardy manual, even though i'm sure i've got one, gsf400 manual says the limit is 115, with the norm between 140 and 220.

Edit: Found my gixxer manual, blardy things in jap tho, and cant find any readings in it.

Where to next? Valve clearances etc?

Should mention i've got a supposed runner of a motor sitting in the shed if this one is bung, but im doubtful theres anything wrong with this one.

Chuck ideas at me :Punk:

Hi squiggles.
when you cleaned out the garbes how did you do it?.
When i got mine for a project it was a bitch to start also and after replacing the plugs the carbs came off.
I didnt pull them apart to the extent of seperating the body's but removed the jets,needles,choke needles,and the diframes and such.
Give the carb body a wash in water and then put the whole body and all the bits except the diframes in white vinegar for bout an hour or so.
then give a good wash in hot soapy water then a good blow out and reasemble.
sorry to ramble:rolleyes:but this is what the speedway guys my brouther knows and it works a lot better than carb clean stuff and gets in the small tubes on the carb and eats the sludge that storage/age creates:(.
worked on mine anyway 2 windes from cold and purs to life.
trackdar 26th terotonga here we come:cool::cool:

kiwi cowboy
17th October 2008, 22:14
pm "geoffm" he put a manual on disk for me that covers the 400s cheers

Squiggles
17th October 2008, 23:33
Hi squiggles.
when you cleaned out the garbes how did you do it?.
When i got mine for a project it was a bitch to start also and after replacing the plugs the carbs came off.
I didnt pull them apart to the extent of seperating the body's but removed the jets,needles,choke needles,and the diframes and such.
Give the carb body a wash in water and then put the whole body and all the bits except the diframes in white vinegar for bout an hour or so.
then give a good wash in hot soapy water then a good blow out and reasemble.
sorry to ramble:rolleyes:but this is what the speedway guys my brouther knows and it works a lot better than carb clean stuff and gets in the small tubes on the carb and eats the sludge that storage/age creates:(.
worked on mine anyway 2 windes from cold and purs to life.
trackdar 26th terotonga here we come:cool::cool:

Cheers for the post, I ripped out most of the internals, checking for any obvious wear, cleaned with carb cleaner (keeping well clear of any seals) then gave them a blowout.
Also reassembled then taking the jets etc from 4 and putting them in 1, 1 runs the hot pipe, 4 still the cold, as before.
However i dont remember checking the mixture, might have to locate that in the manual and check screws are set as they should be.