PDA

View Full Version : GSXR 1000 K4 tapping through bars at idle

sedge
18th October 2008, 14:54
Hi there,

I've just bought myself a GSXR 1000 K4, great bike to ride, can someone who has one of these or similar please enlighten me as to wether a slapping/tapping can be felt through the bars lightly at idle ?

Not constant, like popcorn popping kind of. I can feel it with my hand on top of the triple clamp. Clutch in doesn't change it.

Anyone ? Any ideas ? I've got a 48 hour test ride to let them know if I want the bike or not.

Cheers for that,

Sedge.

Sensei
18th October 2008, 15:23
Doesn't sound right my K3 1000 was smooth so I'd be getting it looked into before comitting yourself to buying it !

sedge
18th October 2008, 15:25
Bugger, Ok, ta.

Sedge.

AllanB
18th October 2008, 15:34
hmm maybe you should take your left hand off your crotch - that slapping and popping feeling will go away then.............:innocent:

But seriously
the last one I test rode was smooth.

cs363
18th October 2008, 15:45
Hi there,

I've just bought myself a GSXR 1000 K4, great bike to ride, can someone who has one of these or similar please enlighten me as to wether a slapping/tapping can be felt through the bars lightly at idle ?

Not constant, like popcorn popping kind of. I can feel it with my hand on top of the triple clamp. Clutch in doesn't change it.

Anyone ? Any ideas ? I've got a 48 hour test ride to let them know if I want the bike or not.

Cheers for that,

Sedge.

Does it do this when it's cold or hot (or both)? can you hear it or only feel it?
This is when the bike is static correct?
Sounds very odd to me, the way you describe it.
Assuming you are buying the bike through a dealer and you are happy with it in all other respects I'd tell them that you are keen..but...you want the noise/feeling investigated and either explained or fixed (obviously dependent on what it actually is)

sedge
18th October 2008, 16:12
Yeah, hard to describe, mechanics must hate people trying to describe things like this.

It's felt, not heard, happens when hot and cold. Yes, when static, idling. Not constant, heft the bike upright, there it is, back on the stand, it goes away, no wait, there it is again for a bit...

Hand on the top clamp, occaisonally feels like popcorn being made inside somewhere, weird I know, but that's the best analogy I can come up with.

It may be nothing, new bike syndrome, my ZXRs always rattled and clanked a bit at idle.

Sedge.

cs363
18th October 2008, 16:18
GSXR's do have a certain amount of engine noise, mostly top end but that's a weird one seeing as it's felt rather than heard. Could be any number of things unfortunately and even harder to diagnose over the internet.
I think given the weirdness of the (possible) problem you're best off doing what I suggested in my earlier post and get the dealer to investigate/explain/fix as required as a prerequisite of you buying the bike.

paturoa
18th October 2008, 18:52
Have you checked all of the engine bolts?

Brett
19th October 2008, 22:38
Does it have an aftermarket exhasut system? It is possible that it is just exhaust note vibrations?

t3mp0r4ry nzr
20th October 2008, 12:28
could be resonance (spelling) ie, vibraton. whats non-standard on it?

sedge
20th October 2008, 13:51
Just the aftermarket popcorn maker attachment... Oh wait.

It's OK, from what I can tell it's a heat shield or maybe the horn mount wobbling at idle, seems to be a PIAA horn, not sure if that is stock, it's pretty big and hung out the left side behind the radiator on a mount.

Sigh, new bike, can't ride it, got a wicked cold. I spent some time with it in the garage yesterday, fired it up, gently warmed it, checked the oil, you know, rubbed up against it a bit :)

Cheers for the help,

Sedge.

Cajun
20th October 2008, 14:04
that sounds like stock horn.

might pay to go thru and check the bolts don't remember any rattle on our k4 1000

cs363
20th October 2008, 18:54
Just the aftermarket popcorn maker attachment... Oh wait.

It's OK, from what I can tell it's a heat shield or maybe the horn mount wobbling at idle, seems to be a PIAA horn, not sure if that is stock, it's pretty big and hung out the left side behind the radiator on a mount.

Sigh, new bike, can't ride it, got a wicked cold. I spent some time with it in the garage yesterday, fired it up, gently warmed it, checked the oil, you know, rubbed up against it a bit :)

Cheers for the help,

Sedge.

Sweet - hope it is something as simple as that. take it you've signed off on the deal then? Hope the cold clears up real soon and you can get out and enjoy the new toy. :D