PDA

View Full Version : Two-hour rides?

GSXR Trace
21st October 2008, 10:42
Hey, was just thinking I may want to go for a bit of a buzz this weekend for a break, but not sure of any good rides that only take a couple of hours. Any suggestions? Preferrably with twisties and not too much motorway riding etc.

Taz
21st October 2008, 10:46
Why only 2 hours??

Nice ride is drury to waiuku and up the south manukau head to grahams beach and back. Might be three hour ride depending where you live and what pace you ride. You can watch the planes fly over from the airport and look at the smog cloud hanging over auckland at this time of year.

TOTO
21st October 2008, 10:59
Well Sh16 takes about 2.5 hours if done properly going trough old north road and peak road first.

And yea , why only 2 hour rides ?

Are you thinking saturday or sunday ?

GSXR Trace
21st October 2008, 11:13
Well I'm thinking a maximum of three hours, because I have soooo much study to do for exams next week that cannot afford to take longer out.

I was thinking probably sunday, but will depend on weather forcast, and any preferances of anyone else who wants to come

TOTO
21st October 2008, 11:36
Looking at the weather forcast, sunday should be the better day for a ride, and sh16 will probably be one that will fit your requirement of only a few hours ride, the other one is Piha or Huia I guess.

I prefer sh16 - variety of corners, mostly good surface, plenty of overtaking places, only thing you need to be carefull is speed as there are unmarked police cars on it on the weekends, but if you are riding 110 - 120 tops you will have plenty of fun and not too much grieve from the smurfs.

let us know if you decide on a ride time, some of us may be keen to join.

EJK
21st October 2008, 11:52
Coatesville Riverhead gone and back + some chat = 2 hours.

I know, it is a boring ride...

GSXR Trace
21st October 2008, 11:55
Yeah well sunday sounds good, and i haven't done SH 16 either, so woudl be keen if someone else was coming. I will definitely post up later in the week if intend to go.
anyone else keen?

TOTO
21st October 2008, 11:56

Thats way too short - u just get in a mood for riding and its over...:oi-grr:

GSXR Trace
21st October 2008, 11:57

yeah well im only interested in going if its going to be a good ride, otherwise no point (well that is my view)

TOTO
21st October 2008, 11:59
Could be keen...

Static
21st October 2008, 12:15
dunno where u live but kiawa and back is a nice ride and could be about the distance you are looking for

TOTO
21st October 2008, 12:19
longer than 2 hours, and you gotta battle the motorways.

If you got 4 hours on the other hand it can be done :yes:

GSXR Trace
21st October 2008, 12:26
dunno where u live but kiawa and back is a nice ride and could be about the distance you are looking for

ride would start at uni (I live in CBD) and also easiest place to meet up as far as I'm concerned

Static
21st October 2008, 12:41
yea it would be a nice ride but could exceed your 3 hr limit by a bit if ur coming from cbd

Phurrball
21st October 2008, 18:19
16 sounds good (if I'm allowed out to play and can aford gas).

Ahhh - a blessed day of relaxation between work.

GSXR Trace
21st October 2008, 18:29
16 sounds good (if I'm allowed out to play and can aford gas).

Ahhh - a blessed day of relaxation between work.

"allowed out"? who would stop you riding!?! And there is always money for gas...

GSXR Trace
21st October 2008, 18:38
ANd although it sounds as though most are keen for 16, ae there any other short ride suggestions for the future, to hide away in my back pocket to try at some other stage??? :yes:

Nagash
21st October 2008, 18:43
There's scenic drive to Piha, there and back takes about.. 30 minutes? Each way. Or you can do the whole Scenic Drive which can take a fair bit longer.. that's a brilliant road if not a bit dangerous with traffic coming the other way and Piha beach go'ers who have no clue who to drive..

That Riverhead-Coatseville's good if you mix it up and explore the other roads that turn off of there. There's heaps of really twisty roads all around that area, Ridge road is an amazing one that jumps to mind.. that can take as long as you want.

And I think that's really about it.. there's is Huia but I wouldn't call that interesting in the least.

Everything else is a decent distance out.

--

I would join you guys for a ride this Sunday but i'm making my presence known at ARMAGEDDON! Geeks unite!

TOTO
21st October 2008, 18:50
there is also Kaiawa , Sh22, coro loop, mangawahi loop, Northland loop, twin bridges, Paparoa Oakleigh Road...

All those are great places to ride a days' riding. None of them fit in the 2hour long category but they are fun :yes:

GSXR Trace
21st October 2008, 18:58
there is also Kaiawa , Sh22, coro loop, mangawahi loop, Northland loop, twin bridges, Paparoa Oakleigh Road...

All those are great places to ride a days' riding. None of them fit in the 2hour long category but they are fun :yes:

coro loop the other weekend was great, and definitley keen for day long trips during summer (in the weekends cause there is still the requirement of work if you want to survive living in auckland)
so when ever anyone is heading out and don't mind showing me new roads, i would love to come (unless have riden home to the naki for the weekend)

ok so by the sounds of things this sunday, ride 16 sounds like a plan
meet at uni gym at say 10:30 to leave 11???
and if others know places that people can join in thats fine, but trying to keep long stops waiting to a minimum. sweet? :shifty:

Now i will put in a proviso... although I seem to have organised this ride, it will not be going ahead unless there is somene else there to lead the way (i have no idea and will not take responsibility for getting lost) :blink:

Nagash
21st October 2008, 19:02
and if others know places that people can join in thats fine, but trying to keep long stops waiting to a minimum. sweet? :shifty:

Now i will put in a proviso... although I seem to have organised this ride, it will not be going ahead unless there is somene else there to lead the way (i have no idea and will not take responsibility for getting lost) :blink:

Haha, if you don't want long stops you're asking the wrong group of people. SMC are famous for frequent, and frequently long stops to chat about what they had for breakfast in the morning. (No offence intended)

And if Todd (Toto) goes i'm sure he'd be willing to take over and show you some good roads. He's good at that sort of thing. Otherwise there'll always be someone who knows the way.

BANZAI
22nd October 2008, 09:40
Hmmmmm Sunday 10:30 huh? Tempting.....

GSXR Trace
22nd October 2008, 11:20
by the way, how do i get rid of the "scooter boy" under my name, as I am neither a boy nor do i ride a scooter!? :Oi:

klyong82
22nd October 2008, 11:42
by the way, how do i get rid of the "scooter boy" under my name, as I am neither a boy nor do i ride a scooter!? :Oi:

You have to make more post. When you reach 1000 you'll be a forum whore..

PirateJafa
22nd October 2008, 11:47
You have to make more post. When you reach 1000 you'll be a forum whore..

Actually after around 200 posts you can set it to whatever name you want. ;)

GSXR Trace
22nd October 2008, 12:25
Actually after around 200 posts you can set it to whatever name you want. ;)

200 Bloody Hell! I'm only in the 30s... gotta get rid of "scooter boy"!!!

EJK
22nd October 2008, 12:57

And you need some blings too :msn-wink:

Click "User CP" near top right hand corner and you will find a list of the threads and it's comment. Green one is a good one.

I think someone just said Hello to you :msn-wink:

Patar
22nd October 2008, 13:15
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=111571943914192251620.000459908a3de77dbb823&ll=-37.037092,174.937363&spn=0.128806,0.30899&z=12

I have no idea what the brown line is like, but it could make the trip shorter.
I did the blue line on sunday.
Left the petrol station at ~10:30 was back on the motorway before 1.

Now that I think about it, that seems awefully fast. But the trip was ~150km from petrol station to motorway.

GSXR Trace
22nd October 2008, 14:11
And you need some blings too :msn-wink:

Click "User CP" near top right hand corner and you will find a list of the threads and it's comment. Green one is a good one.

I think someone just said Hello to you :msn-wink:

why thank you
By the way... have I met you? what bike do you ride?
Edit: stupid question, it is on the right of your post... so have you come on either of the rides i went on?

Gremlin
22nd October 2008, 14:23
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=111571943914192251620.000459908a3de77dbb823&ll=-37.037092,174.937363&spn=0.128806,0.30899&z=12

I have no idea what the brown line is like, but it could make the trip shorter.
I did the blue line on sunday.

brown is definitely forestry roads... some may not even be open

kaiaua road will shorten the route a little

If desperate to get back, you could shorten the route out near mangatawhiri, and head back to the motorway, instead of going through hunua, but the road is really boring. You could also turn off at Mangatawhiri, and instead of going through paparimu road and hunua, take another road and end up at Bombay?

Yes... I know those routes okay-ish... I live in East Auckland :rolleyes:

bigfoot
22nd October 2008, 14:58
Went for a ride last weekend out east, to kawakawa bay......gotta be my favourite ride by far .... twistys all the way, coast riding with the sea to one side for a good part of the ride, no motorway at all and not too many cops supposedly

bomma
22nd October 2008, 15:55
cops are our friends :) after all we are paying for them to be there

that was p/t but in all seriousness i met my first EVER helpful cop last sunday. Went to report that I had lost my wallet so i could get a new licence and the guy there was awesome. Not only did he attend to me quickly, he even filled in the required form for me!!! A+++ :niceone:

Patar
22nd October 2008, 17:19
anyone know if there's still road works on the way out to Maeretai?

motorbyclist
22nd October 2008, 18:59
yeah well im only interested in going if its going to be a good ride, otherwise no point (well that is my view)

i'm good for a quicky :blip:

cops are our friends :) after all we are paying for them to be there

that was p/t but in all seriousness i met my first EVER helpful cop last sunday. Went to report that I had lost my wallet so i could get a new licence and the guy there was awesome. Not only did he attend to me quickly, he even filled in the required form for me!!! A+++ :niceone:

yeah the traffic ones are often right cunts (often due to your buzzing past at several hundred ks over the limit and then pulling over so they don't get the fun of chasing you) but the general cops aren't too bad at all.

Real_Wolf
22nd October 2008, 20:55
remind me to tell you about the time that me and my mates were walking in west auckland and a cop pulled over next to us. Remind me at chiller, funny story

EJK
23rd October 2008, 11:51
why thank you
By the way... have I met you? what bike do you ride?
Edit: stupid question, it is on the right of your post... so have you come on either of the rides i went on?

I ride the smallest ;) (Green FXR150)

You've seen me about a month back when we went on a ride to Piha, remember? :msn-wink:

The short Asian (No not Rie)

klyong82
23rd October 2008, 12:06
I ride the smallest ;) (Green FXR150)

You've seen me about a month back when we went on a ride to Piha, remember? :msn-wink:

The short Asian (No not Rie)

Here's a photo of EJ doing a stoppie and he is riding the wrong way on a one way road.. :P

nosebleed
23rd October 2008, 12:24
OP: If youre gonna head up 16 on Sunday...just remember its a long weekend. Last time I was there on a long weekend was ANZAC and the road was pretty busy with Day-trippers and law enforcement.
Not saying you're a law breaker - buts its a pain-in-the-arse to be designating one eye to speedo-duty for the whole trip.
I might also suggest an earlier start time to avoid holiday makers.

To your original question: If your looking for a (2hr) brain-break to blow out those study cobwebs...
Northern Motorway to Albany/Greville Rd
Thru Albany up the old highway to Siverdale
Across the Motorway to East Coast Rd
Down East Coast Rd to Northcross.
Back to Motorway via Oteha Valley Rd (or do a "u"ey and return back the way you came-depending on time)

nosebleed
23rd October 2008, 12:26
anyone know if there's still road works on the way out to Maeretai?

Yes there is. Was there yesterday. Looks like they'll be there for quite some time.
2x sets ay, one on the passing lane that they built 3 years ago, and the other at the Beachland intersection

EJK
23rd October 2008, 13:41
Here's a photo of EJ doing a stoppie and he is riding the wrong way on a one way road.. :P

I don't know how you got that in mind but don't believe him Trace ;)

GSXR Trace
23rd October 2008, 13:50
i'm good for a quicky :blip:

You may be, but how are we to know that that isn't ll you are good for???

GSXR Trace
23rd October 2008, 13:52
I don't know how you got that in mind but don't believe him Trace ;)

yeah well considering it was the wrong bike, I have to be honest and say that I didn't believe it, but someone is trying to give you a good rep.
I thought I knew who you were, but wanted to check

EJK
23rd October 2008, 13:54
yeah well considering it was the wrong bike, I have to be honest and say that I didn't believe it, but someone is trying to give you a good rep.
I thought I knew who you were, but wanted to check

No prob :sunny:

See you on the road sometime..

GSXR Trace
23rd October 2008, 14:00
OP: If youre gonna head up 16 on Sunday...just remember its a long weekend. Last time I was there on a long weekend was ANZAC and the road was pretty busy with Day-trippers and law enforcement.
Not saying you're a law breaker - buts its a pain-in-the-arse to be designating one eye to speedo-duty for the whole trip.
I might also suggest an earlier start time to avoid holiday makers.

thanks for the heads up, and for the suggestions

I know that I started this thread - but it was stated as a question
Could someone please take an executive position, make a final decision of where to go (that will take around 2-3 hours - no more, as it is only intended as a study break to blow away the cobwebs).

Also i suggested such a late start, because last time i suggested we leave earlier than 9, it got bashed after the fact! I am perfectly fine to go earlier.

I dunno, either someone take action and make final decisions, or maybe group decision at chiller??? I don't mind as long as its a decent ride, and not too long... then i will be there! :niceone:

Phurrball
23rd October 2008, 15:08
"allowed out"? who would stop you riding!?! And there is always money for gas...

As long as I'm good I can go out. I have the provisional OK now. Just hope my face isn't too swollen after the brutal dentistry I have booked for tomorrow...

('course I could go anyway without permission, but there would be "consequences" from my good lady, and like most fellas, I know it's just not worth it...)

GSXR Trace
23rd October 2008, 15:22
As long as I'm good I can go out. I have the provisional OK now. Just hope my face isn't too swollen after the brutal dentistry I have booked for tomorrow...

('course I could go anyway without permission, but there would be "consequences" from my good lady, and like most fellas, I know it's just not worth it...)

bet your glad you don't have exams if you have some serious dental work to be done.

And why doesn't she come with... that is her bike isn't it? She won't be the only girl, if that has anything to do with it. But sounds like she has you sorted!

motorbyclist
23rd October 2008, 23:16
starting at before lucnhtime the day after the last night of semester isn't the best way to get sober riders turning up!

HungusMaximist
24th October 2008, 09:07
You know what, I reckon you just decide for yourself and go by yourself but I am guessing you rather ride with a group.

Sometimes it works out better when you have less people to deal with because it can become a logistical nightmare...

TOTO
24th October 2008, 09:09
rough generalisation. Some of us dont celebrate by drinking our heads off. there is other stuff that are done for the occasions ;)

Keen for the ride.

GSXR Trace
24th October 2008, 11:07
yeah well im fine with riding by myself (I have done exactly that until i found out about the club a month ago) - especially if everyone wants to get trashed saturday night and doesn't want a ride sunday. If thats the case can someone please post up a map with best way of getting from city out to the ride and back.

I don't care what time we leave, only reason it has come to be a group ride is because I don't know where i'm going, and thought there was probably a few people who were keen for a ride and coudl show me a new ride.

If someone does want to come, and knows the route, let me know. And also let me know what time you want to leave.

ill check tomorrow morning, and make final decision

GSXR Trace
24th October 2008, 11:13
rough generalisation. Some of us dont celebrate by drinking our heads off. there is other stuff that are done for the occasions ;)

Keen for the ride.

sorry obviously didn't wait long enough for all the posts to load up :doh:
sweet as, so when do you want to leave, and SH16?

will still wait to see if anyone else wants to come

TOTO
24th October 2008, 11:22
yea, 16 should be a winner. Any time is fine by me. You the boss. I'll turn up.

GSXR Trace
24th October 2008, 22:00
Alright, leaving uni gym at 10 am sunday 26th. Meet there between 9:30 and 10. Heading for SH16 :done:

TOTO
24th October 2008, 22:06
so

SUNDAY , meet at UNI GYM 9:30am , LEAVING 10am , Destination SH16

(just so the pissheads can read it with the hangover :niceone:)

Patar
24th October 2008, 22:42
I may swing by, depends if I'm feeling up for it.
Can someone post a googlemaps of the route?

Nagash
25th October 2008, 15:11
I might show up just to see you guys off.. i'm meeting some mates of mine who are catching the bus up from Tauranga at 11:15.

Phurrball
25th October 2008, 16:05
Alright, leaving uni gym at 10 am sunday 26th. Meet there between 9:30 and 10. Heading for SH16 :done:

Done! I certainly hope to be there tomorrow at 9.30-10 ish.

Weather looks OK and Teeth not too bad today, though I haven't tried putting the lid on yet...

(I looked impressively like a vampire this morning, with dried, bloody drool round my mouth :drool: Mmmm - blood...)

Ragingrob
25th October 2008, 16:42
If I wake up tomorrow morning and the weather is GORGEOUS, I may come along. Don't hold your breath though!

PirateJafa
25th October 2008, 17:31
If I wake up tomorrow morning and the weather is GORGEOUS, I may come along. Don't hold your breath though!
You better come, bitch. Because it looks like I'm joining them for a spin. ;)

Ragingrob
25th October 2008, 17:42
You better come, bitch. Because it looks like I'm joining them for a spin. ;)

Hey fag well as I said, if it's gorgeous weather, and I wake up in time! Remember I have to come 50k just to meet at Uni dammit! :doh:

Pretty sure I'm meant to be studying or something.

Slyer
25th October 2008, 18:02
I'll be there, I'm fairly sure I have patched up all the holes in my fuel tank. ;)

motorbyclist
25th October 2008, 18:40
i'll try to be there. planning on a reasonably sober night tonight

but if the weather is less than perfect....

GSXR Trace
25th October 2008, 19:22
sweet see you all there... however it seems some of you will be pyking as its unlikely that weather will be perfect - meant to be a little dodgy in the morning, but lets hope it clears through during the night and fine during the day, like it did today

see you tomorrow :soon:

motorbyclist
25th October 2008, 19:23
http://www.metservice.co.nz/default/index.php?alias=rainfcst_3daynz

lol

monday looks good though

OutForADuck
25th October 2008, 22:42
you guys mind if I tag along on the Gixxer? Could do with a spin Sunday.

GSXR Trace
25th October 2008, 23:32
As far as I'm concerned, anyone with the ability and wants to come is welcome
I have no idea who you are, but you know where we will be if you want to come

GSXR Trace
26th October 2008, 01:10
I may swing by, depends if I'm feeling up for it.
Can someone post a googlemaps of the route?

sorry Im not exactly sure what route we will be taking - but heading out to SH16, but sounds like there are a few people coming, and Toto knows the way if no one else does, it will be all good

TOTO
26th October 2008, 01:38
yea regarding weather - all chickens to stay home. I did a ride in the rain today and was still great :rockon:

you guys mind if I tag along on the Gixxer? Could do with a spin Sunday.

yea brother, bring the monster :)

As far as I'm concerned, anyone with the ability and wants to come is welcome
I have no idea who you are, but you know where we will be if you want to come

+1 on all that.

sorry Im not exactly sure what route we will be taking - but heading out to SH16, but sounds like there are a few people coming, and Toto knows the way if no one else does, it will be all good

TOTO knows the way.

motorbyclist
26th October 2008, 04:44
something tells me i wont be in a fit state to attend:beer:

Slyer
26th October 2008, 10:03
*Wakes up*
Well, fail. :P

BANZAI
26th October 2008, 10:19
*Wakes up*
Well, fail. :P

LOL there were only TOTO and Tracy, I had todo my assignment so I sent them off and now in computer lab doing asignment...

But me and EJ might go somewhere up north 4pm ish. Anyone keen?

Slyer
26th October 2008, 10:25
memememememe

BANZAI
26th October 2008, 10:31
memememememe

Your in.

Destination Silverdale meet at Westgate 3:30pm. :D

GSXR Trace
26th October 2008, 14:08
to all of you who pyked, toto and I thank you... because although it was raining in town, the second we left the city we had great weather, and almost completely dry roads - only a little wind before we turned around and headed back home! :niceone:

So Banzai you didn't need your wet weather gear

so the 6 other people that were going to come.. harden up next time!

PirateJafa
26th October 2008, 16:06

I looked out west. Absolutely pissing down.

I looked out east. Not a cloud in sight.

So I went for a spin out Kawakawa way. :sunny:

Nagash
26th October 2008, 17:11
I just woke up abit late and went to Armageddon instead.. much fun to be had!

TOTO
26th October 2008, 18:53
Fun day falks.

Woke up bright and early , looked at the rain , looked at the clouds didn't looks good. Cheched Satelite and what do you know - clearing...
Shot down to university and met Trace and Banzai (the only two hardcore bikers) nice chat, and off we go to the north western. Was raining cats and mice on the motorway and I got myself thinking about the satelite images and talking to myself "clearing...any moment now...". 5 more minutes, TOTO still thinking..."ok any minute now". Five minutes later we got on to Riverhead and what do you know - Blue Blue Skies - YEPPPEEEE. By the time we got to Kauakapakapa, the sun was shining brightly and wind had almost dried the roads - Fun Time.

Trace and I had a nice wee cruise up to Wellsford staying mostly legal :rolleyes: we put some freedom juice in the bikes and on the way back down. By the time we started comming back road completely dry - wooohooo :clap:

We fit exactly in the 2h 30min slot as was requires by the crown prosecutor (Trace) and split up at west gate. Great fun ride for a morning wake up instead of coffee :D

klyong82
26th October 2008, 19:26
I was riding in the morning too......Pissing down meow meow and woof woof....went up north after visiting Cycletreads.....saw some scary shit on the roads from lunatic car drivers....but was great to be riding...

TOTO
26th October 2008, 19:37
I was riding in the morning too......Pissing down meow meow and woof woof....went up north after visiting Cycletreads.....saw some scary shit on the roads from lunatic car drivers....but was great to be riding...

Nice to hear ay. When are you gonna be finishing yr exams and able to do longer rides ?

klyong82
26th October 2008, 20:58
Nice to hear ay. When are you gonna be finishing yr exams and able to do longer rides ?

10 Nov...so the weekend after that I'll be keen for some coro-loopie...

Phurrball
27th October 2008, 16:01
(snippy)

I looked out west. Absolutely pissing down.

I looked out east. Not a cloud in sight.

So I went for a spin out Kawakawa way. :sunny:

I think Jafa had the idea.

I live in the Waitakeres, and I can confirm that from 6ish in the am ALL the moisture from teh Tasman was being DUMPED with great force in the ranges. Not happy.

Rain I can handle, even RAIN, but not RAIN and I definately draw the line at HAIL, of which there was some.

STUPID FUCKING AUCKLAND ISTHMUS WEATHER :finger:

The weather improving in the arvo only farked me off more. The only time I escaped was in the stoopid cage.

motorbyclist
27th October 2008, 16:40
i had the reverse issue of, as per usual, getting all the way to within 1km of home completely dry before getting completely saturated in typical waitakere ranges sub-tropical storms (they would be tropical were it not for the ice that comes down)

TOTO
27th October 2008, 16:52
u guys just unlicky

OutForADuck
28th October 2008, 15:40
Yeah I'll cough.. I got caught in the rain early (before ride) and decided to wait it out.

got a much nicer, sunny ride in the afternoon (Sorry I missed the 4pm post :doh:)

Catch you all another time :chase: