PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha FZR250 not happy

pgb1
25th October 2008, 09:57
My first bike, so my first problem.

I have a Yamaha FZR250, its has 28000k's & is a 1989 model.

First problem was on my way home a couple of days ago. On the motorway the bike just started losing power, i dropped down the gears pulled off to the hard shoulder and it was fine riding along in 2nd for about 1k. I had power back again so got it home. Let it cool for a couple of hours as prior to the motorway incident i was caught behind traffic and the temp got up to about 3/4 of the way round the gauge.

Tried starting the bike about 3 hours later, and when turning the bike on there was a rapid clicking noise coming from just underneath the battery housing that lasted for about 3 seconds. Started the bike with the choke out let it sit for 1 min then put the choke back in, the revs dropped and the engine stalled. Now when i start it it still makes that noise from under the battery but when i try putting it in gear with the choke out it stalls.

Anyone any ideas? I'm not really mechanically minded, i've just installed a brand new battery but thats as far i'd be willing to go.

Thanks in advance :woohoo:

FLYMO
25th October 2008, 18:45
sounds like its all over rover motor wise?
got that im too tight to start sound and the noise will be the solenoid

Dargor
25th October 2008, 19:19
Is your model a EXUP one, could have been that.
But EXUP shouldn't make a click, more of a zeep woop.

My temp gauge often sits at 3/4, doesnt bother me.

Are you sure the engine isnt stalling(being stoped) when putting it in gear because you have the kick stand down.

On the note of starting the bike.
When starting it, you have the choke out, the revs pick, mine get to 5k i then let the choke down a bit but pull it back if it sounds like its going to die.

Your brand new battery probably isn't charged fully.

When the bike lost power on the motorway was it sudden. Did the rev-counter needle drop to zero in an instant.
Mine did that when my battery went flat. My regulator rectifier was stuffed, battery wasnt charging.

speedpro
25th October 2008, 19:26
Electric fuel pump, the carb bowls are more or less level with the bottom of the tank. It's about 60mm round, couple of fuel lines and some wires. It'll make a bit of noise at "key on" if the carbs need topping up after sitting round.

If the fault occurs when it heats up it is very likely valve clearances. The broke muppets that buy these things never get the maintenance done.

pgb1
25th October 2008, 19:45
When the bike lost power on the motorway was it sudden. Did the rev-counter needle drop to zero in an instant.
Mine did that when my battery went flat. My regulator rectifier was stuffed, battery wasnt charging.

Yea its the EXUP model. No i lost power gradually but not fully as i was able to keep the engine running at lower gearing and speed?

pgb1
25th October 2008, 20:03
The noise coming this fuel pump is the same noise coming from my bike on start up but only for 5 seconds and then it comes back on as i put the choke back in and the bike cuts out?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGHSnQ_aMVY

speedpro
25th October 2008, 21:41
No i lost power gradually but not fully as i was able to keep the engine running at lower gearing and speed?

You lost power as the valve clearance reduced with the heat increase, to the point where the valves weren't sealing any more. If you keep running it like that you will scorch valves. It needs looking at. These things are getting old. Various rubber bits are getting past their "use-by-date" which can cause problems as well. A lot of shops are reluctant to take these on now because of the series of problems that can afflict them.

The chassis makes a great bucket racer if it ever gets beyond salvaging. Just a thought.

hayd3n
25th October 2008, 22:47
ouch m8 your bike need a good clean under there!!!

Ragingrob
25th October 2008, 22:58
I still reckon it'll be the regulator having fried itself. One of the easiest things to check too.

pgb1
26th October 2008, 08:44
ouch m8 your bike need a good clean under there!!!

Haha yea no doubt. Hopefully its an easy fix :calm:

pgb1
26th October 2008, 08:45
I still reckon it'll be the regulator having fried itself. One of the easiest things to check too.

How do i check it?

Ragingrob
26th October 2008, 09:53
How do i check it?

Grab a multimeter and follow the troubleshooting flow chart on this link http://thegsresources.com/garage/gs_statorfault.htm

It will tell you whether the reg works fine or not... ALTHOUGH on my cbr everytime I checked it out it seemed fine, but the problems were intermittent.

So check out the voltage readings, and then have a look at the reg even if it checks out fine and look for any melting.

frogfeaturesFZR
26th October 2008, 10:56
:niceone:Mate I,ve got a 400 and I had the same sort of problems. My answer turned out to be the fuel pump. It would supply enough gas for up to 5-6000 rpm, but after that it couldn't cope and coughed and spluttered. The sound your bike makes when you turn the key on ( about 4-5 seconds) is the fuel pump.
Hope this helps

pgb1
26th October 2008, 16:41
:niceone:Mate I,ve got a 400 and I had the same sort of problems. My answer turned out to be the fuel pump. It would supply enough gas for up to 5-6000 rpm, but after that it couldn't cope and coughed and spluttered. The sound your bike makes when you turn the key on ( about 4-5 seconds) is the fuel pump.
Hope this helps

How much did it cost for the job and parts? :soon:

slimjim
27th October 2008, 10:05
also check your fuel filter to...as sometimes these little items can become semi blocked from fuel tank rubbish....and this could also be stopping fuel flow to fuel pump....everything flows from your tank and if stuff is sitting or building up it will be sucked through via the fuel pump via the fuel filter....

pgb1
27th October 2008, 17:13
The bikes all good.

Cheers Mike aka speedpro for coming round and sorting it out.

It was pretty easy really. A combination of....well actually its really just me not knowing enough and panicking at sounds that werent there before. I pretty much ran out of fuel from the main line, and because it was low the fuel pump kept running as there was nothing in the carbs. Switched to reserve switched the bike off and on about 5 times to fill the carbs, fuel pump quiet, bike runs sweet. Mike checked the fuel lines and they are all clear, so i cant use the excuse of a blockage.....:blink:

Thanks for everyones input. Thanks again Mike, legend!:Punk: