PDA

View Full Version : Losing power & stalling?

pgb1
25th October 2008, 11:50
Posted this in electrics but might be more appropriate in here.

My first bike, so my first problem.

I have a Yamaha FZR250, its has 28000k's & is a 1989 model.

First problem was on my way home a couple of days ago. On the motorway the bike just started losing power, i dropped down the gears pulled off to the hard shoulder and it was fine riding along in 2nd for about 1k. I had power back again so got it home. Let it cool for a couple of hours as prior to the motorway incident i was caught behind traffic and the temp got up to about 3/4 of the way round the gauge.

Tried starting the bike about 3 hours later, and when turning the bike on there was a rapid clicking noise coming from just underneath the battery housing that lasted for about 3 seconds. Started the bike with the choke out let it sit for 1 min then put the choke back in, the revs dropped and the engine stalled. Now when i start it it still makes that noise from under the battery but when i try putting it in gear with the choke out it stalls.

Anyone any ideas? I'm not really mechanically minded, i've just installed a brand new battery but thats as far i'd be willing to go.

Thanks in advance

hayd3n
25th October 2008, 11:52
bump just for you
i cant help but will do this in your aid

Taz
25th October 2008, 12:19
You got oil? Drain the tank and check for water in your fuel. Drain carbs etc. failing that get bike shop to check valve clearances and compression and charging system etc.

Ragingrob
25th October 2008, 12:26
Had exactly the same problem with my CBR... The regulator/rectifier had burnt out completely, took me several months to finally diagnose and fix the problem but after replacing it I didn't have one problem.

A simpler problem could be that the battery terminals aren't screwed on tight enough :)

Where abouts in Auckland are you?

pgb1
25th October 2008, 12:44
I'm in Te Atata Peninsula.

I replaced the battery and made sure everything was put back tight. Havent check fluids, got one of those mobile mechanics coming out on Tuesday but figured if i can atleast have a better idea of what it could be i might not need them.

Ragingrob
25th October 2008, 12:56
Do you have the workshop manual for the FZR? You should be able to find it online somewhere, and then locate the regulator, I found that mind was completely melted!

Check out my thread http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=70251 and see if you reckon the symptoms sound the same.

Do you have a multimeter?

pgb1
25th October 2008, 13:10
The losing power sounds right, but its not holding the RPMs now when i put the choke back in, just stalls or if i leave the choke out and try and change it into gear it cuts out? No manual or multi meter :(

FJRider
25th October 2008, 13:18
Was the clicking when you hit the starter ??? if so, possibly not charging... battery not providing enough power to run...

Ragingrob
25th October 2008, 13:18
The losing power sounds right, but its not holding the RPMs now when i put the choke back in, just stalls or if i leave the choke out and try and change it into gear it cuts out? No manual or multi meter :(

And that's with a brand new battery? If the charging system ain't working and the battery ain't fully charged, any work that the bike does is just draining the battery and gets to the point where the battery doesn't even have enough oomph to hold revs steady and they will just drop out.

Do you have a battery charger?

Here's the fzr250 manual to download http://www.fzr250.com/viewtopic.php?t=2889

I think it's in Japanese but there's also the fzr400 manual to download there which is apparently pretty similar to the 250 so you could just go from there.

I'm heading into the city on Wednesday and maybe Thursday, could easily pop round to Te Atatu and have a nosy.

Ragingrob
25th October 2008, 13:20
Was the clicking when you hit the starter ??? if so, possibly not charging... battery not providing enough power to run...

And yeah, that clicking is most likely due to battery having not enough power to ignite the starter. That's why I'd lean towards the electrical side of things.

pgb1
25th October 2008, 13:20

No the clicking is when i turn the key?

Ragingrob
25th October 2008, 13:22
No the clicking is when i turn the key?

Turn the key?? As in you turn the key to "on" and things start clicking? You sure it's not just your EXUP loading?

pgb1
25th October 2008, 13:23
And that's with a brand new battery? If the charging system ain't working and the battery ain't fully charged, any work that the bike does is just draining the battery and gets to the point where the battery doesn't even have enough oomph to hold revs steady and they will just drop out.

Do you have a battery charger?

Here's the fzr250 manual to download http://www.fzr250.com/viewtopic.php?t=2889

I think it's in Japanese but there's also the fzr400 manual to download there which is apparently pretty similar to the 250 so you could just go from there.

I'm heading into the city on Wednesday and maybe Thursday, could easily pop round to Te Atatu and have a nosy.

Yea its a brand new battery. I ran on the assumption (should never assume!), that the battery would be fully charged. i have a charger so i'll pull the battery out again and put it on the charger for a few hours? Cheers for the manual download. I have that mobile tech coming out on Tuesday, i'll keep you informed though :niceone:

pgb1
25th October 2008, 13:24
Turn the key?? As in you turn the key to "on" and things start clicking? You sure it's not just your EXUP loading?

Yea turn the key to on, the exup loads but not to this extreme really doesnt sound healthy, plus then theres the issue of it stalling when put into gear.

Ragingrob
25th October 2008, 13:26
Yea its a brand new battery. I ran on the assumption (should never assume!), that the battery would be fully charged. i have a charger so i'll pull the battery out again and put it on the charger for a few hours? Cheers for the manual download. I have that mobile tech coming out on Tuesday, i'll keep you informed though :niceone:

When ya get a new battery (well when I have in the past), it's always said to fill it with the given acids, top it up with distilled water if need be, and put on charge for ten hours or something to that effect. But there are different batteries so I guess just go with what the instructions said.

Ragingrob
25th October 2008, 13:29
Yea turn the key to on, the exup loads but not to this extreme really doesnt sound healthy, plus then theres the issue of it stalling when put into gear.

When you put a bike into gear, it usually provides a little power and actually turns the wheel even though the clutch is fully in... This could be just pushing it over the limit of power the battery is giving out.

The manual should show you where the reg is located, if you can just visually check that out before the mechanic comes. Otherwise, a multimeter is only $20 :P and is a great thing to have in the long-run anyway.

pgb1
25th October 2008, 13:35
The guy in the battery shop said it has all that done to it, cant remember if said anything about charging though. I'll take it out have a look.

FJRider
25th October 2008, 13:43
The only thing that clicks when I turn MY bike on is the electric fuel pump. Dont know if yours has one (doubt it) The only other issue is a silly thing like sidestand cut-out switch playing up...assuming it has one of those...

pgb1
25th October 2008, 13:50
Doesnt have an electric fuel pump. Just checking the battery.

pgb1
25th October 2008, 13:52
When you put a bike into gear, it usually provides a little power and actually turns the wheel even though the clutch is fully in... This could be just pushing it over the limit of power the battery is giving out.

The manual should show you where the reg is located, if you can just visually check that out before the mechanic comes. Otherwise, a multimeter is only $20 :P and is a great thing to have in the long-run anyway.

I've got the battery out, its fully loaded with fluids but the charge is low so thats what it could be. Got it on charge now, fingers crossed! Bloody assumptions! :doh:

Ragingrob
25th October 2008, 14:05
Sweet good on ya, make sure you don't overcharge it either though :p

klyong82
25th October 2008, 15:16
I've got the battery out, its fully loaded with fluids but the charge is low so thats what it could be. Got it on charge now, fingers crossed! Bloody assumptions! :doh:

Check your charging system. Do you smell any odd rotten egg smell? If so you might have a fried wire somewhere...a new battery should not have charging issues unless you have a problem.

FJRider
25th October 2008, 15:47
Check all connections TO the battery, plug connectors to. Just to make sure. Wriggle all the wires each side of plugs. Only takes one broken wire...or dirty connection...

pgb1
25th October 2008, 15:56
Its not the battery, battery was all good. Its starting to blow white smoke now, it was clean before.