PDA

View Full Version : Honda CBR250RR (MC22) engines

Grub
28th October 2008, 19:47
My nephew is considering one of these. It's done 82,000km ... what sort of mechanical issues and costs is he likely to encounter. I know that could mean anything ... I guess what we're looking for is an idea of any well-known issues they have

klyong82
28th October 2008, 19:56
Good bikes but given the high km's the usual inspection of worn seals, leaks, rotors, cables, charging system, etc. Make sure to ask about the history of what has been done in the engine - valve clearance, camchaim (if it has one). I know a couple of cbr250's been really looked after have gone past the 100,000km mark and are still going strong.

Grub
28th October 2008, 20:07
All top points. I'm guessing getting a history on any 250 is a mission since they're likely to have hundreds of learner owners, each having them for a year.

Of course that's a great sweeping statement with no basis in fact azas each one is different ... i'll shut up now

Weaver
28th October 2008, 20:42
The problem with the MC22's is that most of them get the shit thrashed out of them. 82000ks is alot of thrashing.

The Pastor
28th October 2008, 21:27
Good bikes but given the high km's the usual inspection of worn seals, leaks, rotors, cables, charging system, etc. Make sure to ask about the history of what has been done in the engine - valve clearance, camchaim (if it has one). I know a couple of cbr250's been really looked after have gone past the 100,000km mark and are still going strong.

They do not have cam chains but cam gears.

My nephew is considering one of these. It's done 82,000km ... what sort of mechanical issues and costs is he likely to encounter. I know that could mean anything ... I guess what we're looking for is an idea of any well-known issues they have

They will last on pretty low maintence up to 100 000k's - quite bullet proof engines. BUT still check it out because shit does happen. My mc22 is on 70 000kms. No idea of previous history but it runs good. With any bike, a full service cost should be added on the the purchase price so you know at least you've started owning it right.

All top points. I'm guessing getting a history on any 250 is a mission since they're likely to have hundreds of learner owners, each having them for a year.

Of course that's a great sweeping statement with no basis in fact azas each one is different ... i'll shut up now

Vaild statement. That can also mean no maintenance.

The problem with the MC22's is that most of them get the shit thrashed out of them. 82000ks is alot of thrashing.

Very true, but the engines can handle ALOT of pain.

All in all, get it checked out fully by a mechanic if your not into that stuff yourself.