PDA

View Full Version : Learner Ride - Sunday 30th November

Pages : [1] 2

motorbyclist
30th October 2008, 11:41
well i hate to say this, but the ride will have to be postponed until sunday the 30th of November

I've just cleaned my bike so bugger riding in the rain!

So, it's come to my attention that we haven't had any decent learner rides in a while. Even the carpark days are getting few and far between.

So, first Sunday after exams I'll be running a lazy session through some quiet roads, likely north or northwest of Auckland. Will be L plate friendly, suitable for a first group ride (not your first ride on the road, but a first ride on the open road in a group). So if you've gotten the hang of commuting on your toy but haven't yet gone on an actual ride, here's a good chance to do so without getting into trouble.

L plates welcome, L plate pace :)

There is no fast group, though i expect there to be another concurrent ride ahead of us. We'll catch up for lunch/to survey the damage.

Meet on Symonds street bike parking, outside the engineering main entrances at about 10am, leave at 10:30(ish). We will stop by shell westgate to pick up northerners/westies and proceed to stop at the BP just before kumeu for gas. This will be the only gas stop.

At BP kumeu I'll give the usual briefing/protips and make sure we all know the route and the rules.

suggest a route! (think learner friendly and good for learning) see route below

Will be the usual pre-ride inspection (perv) of all machines & riders - so tighten those chains! (possible fix it day Saturday)
Gear is a must. Helmet, jacket & gloves all compulsory.

We will take the motorway to get out of Auckland, so expect to do 80kph as to safely avoid holding up traffic on a Sunday morning.

THE PLAN:

Meet on Symonds street bike parking, outside the engineering main entrances at about 10am, leave at 10:30(ish). We will stop by shell westgate to pick up northerners/westies and proceed to stop at the BP just before kumeu for gas. This will be the only gas stop.

At BP kumeu I'll give the usual briefing/protips and make sure we all know the route and the rules.

We should leave there at 11 or just a bit past. From there we head north up sh16 and stop in parakai to stretch our legs etc for a few minutes. Then we continue along into the twisties.

We will next stop at Shelly Beach for lunch. The cafe there does fish&chips and knows we're coming. Nice spot by the beach.

We leave there "when we do" and head north. Next stop is a lookout about 1km before the road turns to gravel. It is on a typical corner a biker will crash on (I nearly have!), so we can take that opportunity to look at why this is and what to do if we don't know it's there. This is a key skill in riding, and you don't want to learn it the hard way.

Then we head back south. We will stop on the way down at a rest area to again stretch/break before continuing to Parakai. From there we will decide if we go home back down sh16 or go through helensville and/or riverhead etc etc

The breaks are planned for location and timing so the learners can ask any questions and/or heed any advice. I can also give warnings of what lies ahead;)

So quit arguing!:Pokey:

map link here, (http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?f=d&saddr=Symonds+St&daddr=-36.572251,174.376717+to:South+Head+Rd&hl=en&geocode=FVCszf0dnsVqCg%3B%3BFZ4j0_0d8NNiCg&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=14&via=1&sll=-36.576042,174.364014&sspn=0.050869,0.087547&ie=UTF8&ll=-36.683288,174.561081&spn=0.406383,0.700378&z=11) and attached

we will NOT be riding on gravel at any stage

Slyer
30th October 2008, 11:49
There! Fixit day sounds good. :)

Qkchk
30th October 2008, 11:50
If your passing through Westgate, I might tag along to provide a bit of Mentoring (provided Im available that day as well)

motorbyclist
30th October 2008, 11:51
yeah, will leave fix it up to squiggles to organise until my shed "upgrade" has finished

needs moar concrete!

If your passing through Westgate, I might tag along to provide a bit of Mentoring (provided Im available that day as well)

cheers! :)

PirateJafa
30th October 2008, 12:01
Yeah, I think I might rock along.

Good excuse to waste some non-replenishable fossil fuels if nothing else.

TOTO
30th October 2008, 12:05
sounds like a good idea.

BANZAI
30th October 2008, 12:46
If we going that way then howbout Riverhead? gonna take about half hour or so to complete. Then find empty carpark somewhere to practice slow riding.

Or do river head, little break, head back to westgate, go to Epsom campus or Unitec todo car park practice.

Ragingrob
30th October 2008, 13:03
I'll be keen to help out :niceone:

Got a 21st the night before though so we wont know till the day.

Ragingrob
30th October 2008, 13:04
I reckon we could try that way again where we heading up north west and ran into 5k of gravel, that should all be done, and was a nicely paced non-technical piece of road.

Blakomen
30th October 2008, 13:19
I'm 9000% keen, but just need to know if the date is fixed, cause if it is I need to get leave from work-

Squiggles
30th October 2008, 13:30
And people wonder why i dont organise these rides.... ITS BECAUSE I DONT KNOW WHAT IM DOING MORE THAN A WEEK OUT, LET ALONE A MONTH!!!!!

Ragingrob
30th October 2008, 13:38
And people why i dont organise these rides.... ITS BECAUSE I DONT KNOW WHAT IM DOING MORE THAN A WEEK OUT, LET ALONE A MONTH!!!!!

Mate, you don't even know what you're doing in the present!

motorbyclist
30th October 2008, 14:19
If we going that way then howbout Riverhead? gonna take about half hour or so to complete. Then find empty carpark somewhere to practice slow riding.

yeah was thinking riverhead or south head

just gotta tie in lunch somehow

could end up in a carpark in henderson or albany or somewhere in the city if you wish and time allows

might change westgate shell to silverdale autobahn

I'm 9000% keen, but just need to know if the date is fixed, cause if it is I need to get leave from work-

it's pretty much fixed unless something serious comes up

personal time management fail

i'm the same, but i am at least capable of booking a day and then telling everyone else "no, i'm busy that day"

so, fix it on saturday?

wanna add a poll asking who is coming (ie learner attending and experienced attending) so i can plan the lunch stop/route accordingly?

Squiggles
30th October 2008, 16:34
i'm the same, but i am at least capable of booking a day and then telling everyone else "no, i'm busy that day"

Sure sure, didnt you not turn up for the last one you organised? :eek:

PirateJafa
30th October 2008, 19:05
And people wonder why i dont organise these rides.... ITS BECAUSE I DONT KNOW WHAT IM DOING MORE THAN A WEEK OUT, LET ALONE A MONTH!!!!!

Don't you have a secretar... oh wait.

motorbyclist
30th October 2008, 20:56
Sure sure, didnt you not turn up for the last one you organised? :eek:

nah that was ehab - a suzuki rider i might add:p

bomma
30th October 2008, 21:29
nah that was ehab - a suzuki rider i might add:p

ooooooh choppage!! *insert emoticon of choppage hand action here*

bummage *insert emoticon of bummage chin rubbing here* :wari:

Folcan
30th October 2008, 21:48
I might have some friends interested in a learner ride. I will see closer to the time though

Hanne
31st October 2008, 13:14
Sure sure, didnt you not turn up for the last one you organised?
nah that was ehab - a suzuki rider i might add

At least we do turn up... even if everyone has LEFT by the time we get there ><><><

CB ARGH
31st October 2008, 17:58
I'm always up for a bit more educated riding. :wari:

I'm there!

meatface
31st October 2008, 19:35
cool, keen to meet and ride with some fellow L platers

Ragingrob
31st October 2008, 19:46
Looks like it's gonna be a great turn out! Let's not start too early ay >_<

motorbyclist
31st October 2008, 20:52
yeah it's as late as reasonable without making lunch too difficult

Blakomen
1st November 2008, 09:29
it's pretty much fixed unless something serious comes up

sweet as, i'll try get time off work! !@%&!@%& christmas retail !@#%*!%

Choco
1st November 2008, 10:22
May have an GN newbie who might want to come, i'll let him know :yes:

EDIT: actually nup. thats RIGHT in the middle of our exams :(

motorbyclist
1st November 2008, 17:17
i'll say again, it sure would be nice of a mod to add a poll here so i can guage interest and plan accordingly

Ragingrob
1st November 2008, 17:24
Here's an option for the ride... From A to B, or C if B is too much.

Image upload FAIL...

Link http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?f=d&saddr=SH+16&daddr=South+Head+Rd+to:-36.573354,174.376545&hl=en&geocode=FXAnzv0d405oCg%3BFRqm0_0d9_diCg%3B&mra=dme&mrcr=1&mrsp=2&sz=13&sll=-36.574457,174.399376&sspn=0.063415,0.11055&ie=UTF8&ll=-36.64308,174.493103&spn=0.506867,0.884399&z=10

Now, tell me, how do I embed the google map image to kb??

Squiggles
1st November 2008, 18:05
i'll say again, it sure would be nice of a mod to add a poll here so i can guage interest and plan accordingly

Thats not as easy as you'd think... but it seems to be working now :)

motorbyclist
1st November 2008, 18:22

with great difficulty as KB doesn't like the long tags

Thats not as easy as you'd think... but it seems to be working now :)

always wondered why people put a "no" option there

i mean, if you are not coming, is there really any need to say so in the poll? that 5 anonymous people aren't coming is not really useful information

must i now plan for the other 4 million kiwis who haven't responded, just in case they're coming?

motorbyclist
1st November 2008, 18:25
Here's an option for the ride... From A to B, or C if B is too much.

Image upload FAIL...

Link http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?f=d&saddr=SH+16&daddr=South+Head+Rd+to:-36.573354,174.376545&hl=en&geocode=FXAnzv0d405oCg%3BFRqm0_0d9_diCg%3B&mra=dme&mrcr=1&mrsp=2&sz=13&sll=-36.574457,174.399376&sspn=0.063415,0.11055&ie=UTF8&ll=-36.64308,174.493103&spn=0.506867,0.884399&z=10

btw, that was one of the routes i had in mind; right up south head road until we hit the gravel

but first i'll need to check the surface is reasonable

Squiggles
1st November 2008, 18:40
always wondered why people put a "no" option there

i mean, if you are not coming, is there really any need to say so in the poll? that 5 anonymous people aren't coming is not really useful information

must i now plan for the other 4 million kiwis who haven't responded, just in case they're coming?

People like to vote, whether for a reason or not, and often to see the results rather than just clicking to view the results... Can't edit it now, polls are run weirdly, unaccessible to me

I intend on attending.

Ragingrob
1st November 2008, 19:09
And just to hassle your poll making further mr president, it could be handy to know who's voted and coming :bleh:

Slyer
1st November 2008, 19:15
Where's the "I'm a learner but I'm pro" option? :)

Ragingrob
1st November 2008, 19:20
Where's the "I'm a learner but I'm pro" option? :)

Oh, that comes right under the "no" option :yes:

:lol:

BANZAI
2nd November 2008, 17:10
Hey rob, wouldnt that be way too long for some of the learners???

Slyer
2nd November 2008, 17:37
Nah looks good, never been up that way.

motorbyclist
2nd November 2008, 18:54
i'll check it out after my last exam to be sure

musicman
2nd November 2008, 22:40
btw, that was one of the routes i had in mind; right up south head road until we hit the gravel

but first i'll need to check the surface is reasonable

I just did that route this afternoon, went all the way to the end, the last 5kms or so was gravel but it's not really worth it, at the very end it's just a big fence saying "PRIVATE PROPERTY" and trees around, no spectacular view or anything. Bummer. But the gravel isn't too bad, might be good practise for learners that had never been on gravel before - my friend had never been on gravel before and he did it no problems.

The road surface is ok, no new seal or anything, just a little uneven/bumpy in some places but it shouldn't cause too much problems for a learner ride.

motorbyclist
2nd November 2008, 23:49
yeah i've done the road a few times before and it's the road itself i'm concerned about not the view at the end. not much traffic/cops that way either

was the last km before the gravel fucked up?

i don't plan on doing the gravel part, but might if everyone wants to. i don't like having gravel off the front wheel annihilate the front of my fairing

Ragingrob
3rd November 2008, 07:28
When we did it, we turned around after a few k's of the gravel, and then pulled out at shelly beach and had some mint fish an chips at a shop right by the water. Could always just aim for that place. Can't remember really, but I think the entire ride took less than 2 hours easy.

Schnegge
3rd November 2008, 08:50
I come from germany and i´m interested in the learner ride...i´m not really a learner, but i´ve never ridden of the left side of the road...we´re riding on the right side, so maybe i´m a bit learner...I would be happy if i could go with you... thanks...

Slyer
3rd November 2008, 09:07
Hey yeah that would be fine if you want to come, just remember that this ride isn't for another 3 weeks!

BANZAI
3rd November 2008, 09:09
I come from germany and i´m interested in the learner ride...i´m not really a learner, but i´ve never ridden of the left side of the road...we´re riding on the right side, so maybe i´m a bit learner...I would be happy if i could go with you... thanks...

Welcome to NZ!!!

Can you come with your Transalp? Never seen one on road :yes:

Schnegge
3rd November 2008, 09:13
Hey yeah that would be fine if you want to come, just remember that this ride isn't for another 3 weeks!

yes i saw...but i get my bike on this wednesday and then i can train a bit not to ride on the wrong side of the road...:-D

Slyer
3rd November 2008, 09:17
At least you don't have to worry about the steering wheel being on the other side of the bike like you do in a car eh? :)
Probably the biggest thing to watch out for is giving way, give way to the right etc.
Hanne might come on this ride, she loves all things German.

Schnegge
3rd November 2008, 09:19
no sry...the transalp is in germany...it was to expensive to ship it to NZ. that´s why i bought the SV here and musst sell it after my year here is finished...

Slyer
3rd November 2008, 09:32
Yeah shipping is so expensive eh.
So is the transalp a dual purpose bike?

Schnegge
3rd November 2008, 09:48
ähmmm...i don´t know the english word for it...we call it reise enduro...if you transalte the síngle words you have a travel dirt bike :-D but i think you would´nt say that, isn´t it? i try to find a better translation th next days...it looks a bit like a dirt bike, but has much more comfort:-D

BANZAI
3rd November 2008, 10:02
Yeah it is dual porpose + tourer. In Japan they categolise it as Alps Roader.

I don't know what it would be called in English but I guess Dual Purpose Tourer??

Cool bike tho, pity it's a Honda.... :chase:

Schnegge
3rd November 2008, 10:09
hey nothing against my honda...she took me until now everywhere i wanted to go with her...:-D but everyone has it´s own likes...i have nothing against BMW, but they are ugly...sorry that they are geman like me...:shit:

BANZAI
3rd November 2008, 10:18
hey nothing against my honda...she took me until now everywhere i wanted to go with her...:-D but everyone has it´s own likes...i have nothing against BMW, but they are ugly...sorry that they are geman like me...:shit:

In this website it's always Honda vs Everyone else.

Not to mention Suzuki is leading the pack against evil Honda empire :msn-wink:

Classic BMWs are nice but yea new ones are very strange bike...

Slyer
3rd November 2008, 10:33
Useless Honda's, can't even cross oceans. ;)

BANZAI
3rd November 2008, 10:35
Useless Honda's, can't even cross oceans. ;)

Bling bling :clap:

Ragingrob
3rd November 2008, 11:57
Good to see that there are actually more "learners" on this ride than "non-learners" now :2thumbsup

Schnegge
3rd November 2008, 15:01
yes it´s okay...i come with the Sv...you don´t want me with the honda;)

motorbyclist
3rd November 2008, 15:10
this ride needs MOAR honda!

hanne will be able to translate for you if needs be

Schnegge
3rd November 2008, 15:21
yeah...thats cool...I hope i can come...until now i don´t know where it is,but i will find the starting point...until now I only know botany, britomart and new market...

Slyer
3rd November 2008, 15:25
Google maps helps a lot EG (if you are meeting at westgate):
http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?f=d&saddr=-36.995561,174.878139&daddr=SH+16&hl=en&geocode=%3BFb4mzv0dV05oCg&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=0&sz=13&sll=-36.97801,174.880028&sspn=0.106279,0.154495&ie=UTF8&ll=-36.873853,174.763641&spn=0.212849,0.30899&z=12
Easy as, don't worry about getting lost too much it's all part of the adventure. :)

Also, come along to practice ride we do every wednesday if you like, details are here(it's at the same place):
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&day=2008-11-5&e=1673&c=1

Hanne
3rd November 2008, 15:32
Britomart is not too far from uni :sunny:

Schnegge
3rd November 2008, 15:34
i had a look at google maps...should be findable...:-D and to the other practise on wednessday i will have a look until when i have to work...but i think i can arrange to come...

Hanne
3rd November 2008, 15:43
Ok, I just voted that I will come.
Except maybe I will have sold my bike by then...
(The british security guard outside ASB offered to buy it off me for $3000 this morning ><)

SO might be pillioning. But i am super keen to come along with all the cool as jellybean people!

Slyer
3rd November 2008, 15:50
Sell your bike once you know where you're getting the next one!
No more vfr's though, please. ;)

PirateJafa
3rd November 2008, 17:17
yeah...thats cool...I hope i can come...until now i don´t know where it is,but i will find the starting point...until now I only know botany, britomart and new market...

Failing that I suspect that one of us east Auckland riders can play tour guide and get you to uni.

Schnegge
3rd November 2008, 17:48
i know where the uni is...but until now i only went to there by bus...and i think thats not really the best way:-D

Hanne
3rd November 2008, 19:50
i know where the uni is...but until now i only went to there by bus...and i think thats not really the best way:-D

No it really is NOT! The last time I tried to catch a bus to uni the driver wouldn't let me on and I had to walk... the time before that the bus never even CAME! :mad:

shingo
3rd November 2008, 20:00
No it really is NOT! The last time I tried to catch a bus to uni the driver wouldn't let me on and I had to walk... the time before that the bus never even CAME! :mad:

And that's why i've only caught the bus to uni once in the last 3 years.

Plus it costs more to catch a bus than it does to drive my car in!

VFRCBR
3rd November 2008, 20:09
I am afraid I cannot come.:bye:

Schnegge
3rd November 2008, 21:22
i think thats the auckland university where my bus always goes...i´m rely sure...

Slyer
3rd November 2008, 21:29
I am afraid I cannot come.:bye:
I'm sorry to hear that....? :bleh:

Schnegge
3rd November 2008, 21:34
you don´t need feel sorry for him...he is jealous of me that i can ride a motorcycle in newzealand and i´m here without him...and he can´t ride his bike because it´s winter in germany:-D

Slyer
3rd November 2008, 21:40
Oh true haha. We can pretty much ride here all year around if we choose to, many are too much of a pansy though. ;)

How long have you been here?

Schnegge
3rd November 2008, 21:42
he´s my boyfriend and comes in february...i´m here since august and stay until july...

Slyer
3rd November 2008, 21:47
I would love to do something like that some day.

Schnegge
3rd November 2008, 21:53
but as an au pair are mainly gils:-D but you can work in an other country...
or make work and travel...but i wouldn´t go to gernamy...the people are not half as friendly as here...

VFRCBR
3rd November 2008, 21:53
@Slyer = Bike ´88 Ninja 250 :baby: drink you Bike Milke or fruit juice :laugh::bleh::bleh:

Slyer
3rd November 2008, 21:56
I believe my manhood was just questioned?!

Seriously, what? :lol:

Schnegge
3rd November 2008, 22:01
@ VFRCBR...be careful that i don´t push your GS over...or break the indicators off:-D :-P

PirateJafa
3rd November 2008, 22:07
@ VFRCBR...be careful that i don´t push your GS over...or break the indicators off:-D :-P

Nah, just let him wait 6 hours at the airport in February before picking him up. :devil2:

Schnegge
3rd November 2008, 22:10
he broke my indicators of my transalp...:-( i never leave him alone again with my transalp...

Schnegge
3rd November 2008, 22:13
and how should i pick him up...he must see how he comes to his bike...i can´t drive with him in my back...and i don´t want it:-D

Squiggles
3rd November 2008, 22:20
I believe my manhood was just questioned?!

Seriously, what? :lol:

Be glad he got in before me, i would've been ruthless. :2guns:

Back to the ride, 50/50 split learners and non so far, the question is, will the real turnout reflect this?

VFRCBR
3rd November 2008, 22:25
:wari::wari::wari::wari::chase::spanking:

Slyer
3rd November 2008, 22:42
/me slaps you around with a large trout

Moderators!

BANZAI
4th November 2008, 08:20
Name is VFRCBR but have Suzuki? Weird!!!

TL1000 FTW!!!! :first:

Ragingrob
4th November 2008, 12:12
Be glad he got in before me, i would've been ruthless. :2guns:

Back to the ride, 50/50 split learners and non so far, the question is, will the real turnout reflect this?

Lol who knows... I do have a 21st the night before aaaand Soph's playing at 2:30 on the day, so if I wake up feeling ok, and then can do the ride and make it back, then I'll def be there. :niceone:

VFRCBR
4th November 2008, 17:58
jes ill drive bevor a VFR750 ( RC 30 ) an a CBR 1000
and now i am older and on Street a 1200 GS Adventure and on the Race Track a TL 1000 R :clap:

sorry for my bad English :devil2:

motorbyclist
4th November 2008, 18:09
i'm not sure if that's bad english or bad typing or both

PirateJafa
4th November 2008, 18:27
i'm not sure if that's bad english or bad typing or both

RC30. I'll forgive him a lot of things.

shingo
4th November 2008, 19:13
You guys should be used to it by now considering the amount of posts Banzai has made on these forums :p

meatface
4th November 2008, 19:21
hmmm, i have just realised i've got a little soiree the night before this ride so I will have to reset my intentions to "will make it if I can".

Eng_dave
4th November 2008, 20:49
Hi just got, my license but think I could handle a couple of hours on the road. Not sure about the gravel part of the ride, but we'll see. My first group ride kinda looking forward to it.

Ragingrob
4th November 2008, 20:53
Hi just got, my license but think I could handle a couple of hours on the road. Not sure about the gravel part of the ride, but we'll see. My first group ride kinda looking forward to it.

Your bike ain't the red Hyo that parks at Uni in the staff carpark is it?

Squiggles
4th November 2008, 21:33
and on the Race Track a TL 1000 R :clap:

*wants*

Get some riding time under your belt over the next couple of weeks and we'll see you there

shingo
4th November 2008, 21:54

I haven't noticed a comet parked in the staff carpark.

Ragingrob
4th November 2008, 21:55
I haven't noticed a comet parked in the staff carpark.

True :p I never think about the naked Hyo, looks like a completely different bike!

Schnegge
4th November 2008, 21:58
sorry...can someone explain me what a staff carpar is??? and is there the start of the tour on the 23.11.???

Slyer
4th November 2008, 22:13
Staff carpark is where all the people who work at the university keep their cars.
Yes that date is correct

Ragingrob
4th November 2008, 22:16
And I wouldn't exactly call a 2 hour ride or so a tour :oi-grr:

I am keen for a tour when I get back from Aus and have a sexy pack rack! A 3 day weekend kinda thing! Who's in?

PirateJafa
4th November 2008, 22:30
It depends if you're allowed your bike back. ;)

Ragingrob
4th November 2008, 22:35
It depends if you're allowed your bike back. ;)

After 2 months of not riding, anyone that comes between me and my bike is gonna be bitchslapped to the gutter and then overwhelmed with the smell of V4 power!

Slyer
4th November 2008, 22:42
So is hanne looking after it while you're away? :D

Ragingrob
4th November 2008, 22:44
So is hanne looking after it while you're away? :D

Perhaps... Haven't secured the contract quite yet :shifty:

Slyer
4th November 2008, 22:48
Make sure you add some special clauses to the contract too, no stickers no matter how pretty they are and no pictures taken of it during girly rides. ;)

shingo
4th November 2008, 23:29
sorry...can someone explain me what a staff carpar is??? and is there the start of the tour on the 23.11.???

The ride doesn't start at the staff carpark, it's starting on symonds street outside the uni gym.

No doubt a map will be posted up closer to the ride to clarify the exact location for you.

Eng_dave
5th November 2008, 09:02

No sorry fella not me. I park over in Victoria Park Market.

Ragingrob
5th November 2008, 09:04
No sorry fella not me. I park over in Victoria Park Market.

Haha sweet you're safe then. Didn't realise yours is a comet anyway :pinch:

BANZAI
5th November 2008, 13:01
Seeing there is massive roadworks in front of gym, shall we change the meeting point?

motorbyclist
5th November 2008, 14:39
We maymeet outside engineering, across the road form the gym, if the roadworks continue

gravel is not part of any plan for the learner ride. we may do it if everyone is keen and time allows, and i don't veto the idea due to the inexperience of riders present

gravel is tricky and even if you keep your bike uright, the stones off your wheels damage both your bike and those behind you

Ragingrob
5th November 2008, 17:44
I would say a big no to gravel riding on a learner ride!

Haha today I was almost home after my exam, motorway offramp packed so I split to the front and waited beside an SUV. They pulled out, I pulled out slightly behind them, for some reason there was a big patch of loose stones on the road, back swung out, I kept it steady and straightened up therefore heading towards the curb, then back to turning the corner and off I went. Hope I gave the cars waiting in line a bit of a chuckle.

Just if ya wanted to know anyway huh...

:confused:

bomma
5th November 2008, 17:54
I would say a big no to gravel riding on a learner ride!

Haha today I was almost home after my exam, motorway offramp packed so I split to the front and waited beside an SUV. They pulled out, I pulled out slightly behind them, for some reason there was a big patch of loose stones on the road, back swung out, I kept it steady and straightened up therefore heading towards the curb, then back to turning the corner and off I went. Hope I gave the cars waiting in line a bit of a chuckle.

Just if ya wanted to know anyway huh...

:confused:

hope you measured how far your rear kicked out so you can tell dushy :rolleyes:

Ragingrob
5th November 2008, 17:55
hope you measured how far your rear kicked out so you can tell dushy :rolleyes:

I told him how far when he asked... 38 degrees and 12cm! Duh! :yes:

:shutup:

bomma
5th November 2008, 17:57
I told him how far when he asked... 38 degrees and 12cm! Duh! :yes:

:shutup:

some data to back up this quantitative claim is always helpful ;)

twinkle
5th November 2008, 18:39

w00t! A german person! I'm coming on the ride! :woohoo:

bomma
5th November 2008, 18:42
w00t! A german person! I'm coming on the ride! :woohoo:

you and your fetishes:nono:.....you're a worry james....:mellow:

twinkle
5th November 2008, 18:50
you and your fetishes:nono:.....you're a worry james....:mellow:

:rofl: I leave for Berlin in less than two months, anyone from Germany is of interest to me :sunny:

GSXR Trace
5th November 2008, 21:37
okay, so what is the actual deal with a learner ride... what happens? That weekend i plan to ride to auckland friday, BBTs saturday :drool:, and so have to fill my sunday... therefore this is looking best option so far

Man i cant wait til mondays exam is over and i have the summer to ride!!! :devil2:(around work of course!)

Squiggles
5th November 2008, 21:45
okay, so what is the actual deal with a learner ride... what happens?

We do inexplicable things to "learners" :wari:

Or more seriously, the ride starts off with us weeding them out into groups, with emphasis put on not following each other like sheep, then start off slowly and build up to normal cruising speeds as the ride progresses, making sure all are comfortable with whats going on... and so forth :yes:

Ragingrob
5th November 2008, 21:46
I thought you were coming on the Coro friday? It's just a ride but with a focus on first-time group riders and L-plate riders, i.e. a cruisy pace. With a few 'experienced' riders thrown in the mix so that others can learn the basics in terms on lines through corners (only initially though, as everyone should take their own line), and hopefully any constructive criticism is dished out if need be.

GSXR Trace
5th November 2008, 21:48
isn't the coro the following friday... i thought learner ride was 16th, and coro was 21st? obviously i have read wrong
and i do plan to do coro friday 21st (if thats right)

GSXR Trace
5th November 2008, 21:49
hahaha just re read thread name... sunday 23rd
woops!
sorry

Ragingrob
5th November 2008, 21:50
isn't the coro the following friday... i thought learner ride was 16th, and coro was 21st? obciously i have read wrong
and i do plan to do coro friday 21st (if thats right)

Hmmm well this thread is called "Learner Ride - Sunday 23rd November"...

Dunno why it's called that though :bash:

:Oops:

Yep the coro's the 21st! :scooter:

GSXR Trace
5th November 2008, 21:53
Hmmm well this thread is called "Learner Ride - Sunday 23rd November"...

Dunno why it's called that though :bash:

:Oops:

Yep the coro's the 21st! :scooter:

i beat you to the punch to comment on my own stupidity!!
:argh: too much study is making my brain go to mush... leave me alone! :girlfight:

Ragingrob
5th November 2008, 21:56
Too much KB is making my study go mush :no:

GSXR Trace
5th November 2008, 21:59
Too much KB is making my study go mush :no:

yes well its good for procrastinating - but that is why i have avoided this for the last week... and will be doing the same again til monday (once i finally get my arse out of here!) :laugh:

Eng_dave
5th November 2008, 22:02
Took the bike out for a ride today, noticed she needs some love. IE chain tightening, oil change. Anyone available to give me a hand as newbie, kinda know how to do it, but would love some experienced hands to give me a hand.

Ragingrob
5th November 2008, 22:09
Took the bike out for a ride today, noticed she needs some love. IE chain tightening, oil change. Anyone available to give me a hand as newbie, kinda know how to do it, but would love some experienced hands to give me a hand.

1 week 1 day and exams will be over for moi, keen to help out then if you can wait haha. Bloody exams...

Where in Aucks are ya?

trump-lady
5th November 2008, 23:41
My bikes all fixed up so i will come. Im back to learner levels.......nanaing all the way

BANZAI
6th November 2008, 00:18
My bikes all fixed up so i will come. Im back to learner levels.......nanaing all the way

Woot Triumph! Never met you before, but Triumph! :woohoo:

Would love to see Katana too! :p

So Coro on friday and this on Sunday? Me coming both :D

motorbyclist
6th November 2008, 00:54
ooh havn't seen the pink trumph for a while!

and as squiggles said, this is a cruisy ride where learners can practice their riding skillz and receive helpful tips/hints on their riding

ie if we see any deliberate wheelies or needlessly reckless/dangerous behaviour you will be asked to kindly fuck off - this isn't a race

Ragingrob
6th November 2008, 09:13
1 week 1 day and exams will be over for moi, keen to help out then if you can wait haha. Bloody exams...

Where in Aucks are ya?

Lol red repped for this.

I love KB :love:

Cool as now I can't wait for a weekend of gorgeous sunshine and little breeze!

EJK
6th November 2008, 10:24
Lol red repped for this.

Let me guess..... Dushy?

BANZAI
6th November 2008, 10:58
Lol red repped for this.

Btw awsome avatar :D

Ragingrob
6th November 2008, 11:03
Let me guess..... Dushy?

Na lol not at all. Imdying is trying to make up for what God didn't give him by red repping me for no reason :no:

:whocares:

Ah I'm sooo over reading this Intbus 310 text book arghhhh!

Ragingrob
6th November 2008, 11:04
Btw awsome avatar :D

:bleh: cheers! Was a good use of procrastination.

adiesmogdog
6th November 2008, 12:17
Thanks for the PM Piratejafa. This looks like a great idea. My partner has just got a bike too, so we'll check our terribly hectic (loosely translated to non existent) social calendar and confirm :)

Slyer
6th November 2008, 12:39
Will be nice to see a whole bunch of new faces there.

klyong82
6th November 2008, 13:17
I'll make my decision nearer the time...

GSXR Trace
6th November 2008, 15:35
Any excuse for a ride, and a little basics practice never hurt anyone (and will be good for me to take it easy and get more comfortable on me GSX-R!)
Im in!! :woohoo:
Yay, ride and all the toys at Big boys toys one weekend, followed by two rides following weekend (thats if i can get friday off work)... sounds like a blood good start to summer break away from uni!!! :yes:

Squiggles
7th November 2008, 20:14
Phoar, can we push this back by another half hour lol... 21st the night before ><

Ragingrob
7th November 2008, 20:40
I gotta 21st the night before too lol! Where's yours at?

As long as I'm back by like 2 I should be sweet to come on the ride.

Sofa
7th November 2008, 20:50
Make that 1:45, at the very latest!!!

Hey people :bleh:

Squiggles
7th November 2008, 21:25
I gotta 21st the night before too lol! Where's yours at?

Out near Kelly Tartons ;)

BANZAI
8th November 2008, 14:28
Make that 1:45, at the very latest!!!

Hey people :bleh:

Where were you hiding!!!! O_o !!!!!

s_devo
11th November 2008, 13:23
I would have loved to be there - as an L-Plate owning newbie - but I'll be in Australia at a conference at the time. Please keep me posted if there's another one coming up in December or in the new year. Go well everyone! Stephen

motorbyclist
17th November 2008, 00:15
*bump*

:beer:

PirateJafa
17th November 2008, 01:18
:beer:

:apint:

Schnegge
18th November 2008, 20:06
hi...
whats the best way to take for somebody like me who was onley one time with the bike in the city to come to the meeting point for sunday???
:crazy:

Slyer
18th November 2008, 20:16
http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?f=d&saddr=Flat+Bush,+Auckland&daddr=-36.821164,174.608331&hl=en&geocode=FdjSy_0dTaBsCg%3B&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=17&sll=-36.821481,174.608663&sspn=0.00639,0.013947&ie=UTF8&ll=-36.956956,174.861317&spn=0.051028,0.11158&t=h&z=14
Like that^^ Pretty much follow motorway north, turn left at spaghetti junction and then left once you get to the end of the motorway and you're there.

PirateJafa
18th November 2008, 20:23
hi...
whats the best way to take for somebody like me who was onley one time with the bike in the city to come to the meeting point for sunday???
:crazy:
You're out east - send me a text message and I'll guide you into uni.

Schnegge
18th November 2008, 20:23
i hope i find it...if i´m not there i´m somewhere else wher i don´t wanted to go:-D onley say me what´s the name of the exit...and is it then far from there?

Schnegge
18th November 2008, 20:40
i don´t have your number...

Dragon
18th November 2008, 20:41
If it's going via westgate I'll tag along work permitting when do the exams end ???

PirateJafa
18th November 2008, 20:59
i don´t have your number...

If you accept that request I just sent you, my number will be visible in my profile page under "Contact Info" :)

Slyer
18th November 2008, 21:17
Ohh right we're meeting at uni.
I'll be at westgate then.

Gremlin
18th November 2008, 21:32
I would imagine some easties would meet up out... east... anyway. Especially if there are those who are not sure of the route.

motorbyclist
18th November 2008, 22:31
ok, thursday night i hope to be popping up the route

we are still going via westgate etc

If it's going via westgate I'll tag along work permitting when do the exams end ???

UofA exams ended on monday, but the AUT guys still have them i think

Squiggles
19th November 2008, 07:31
ok, thursday night i hope to be popping up the route

we are still going via westgate etc

May tag along, would be a good idea to set a final take off point for the ride (the BP on SH16 perhaps? Else just uni) After that nobody joins in...

klyong82
19th November 2008, 07:41
UofA exams ended on monday, but the AUT guys still have them i think

AUT's last exams ended last week...

CB ARGH
19th November 2008, 07:43
Oh dear, glad that I logged into KB today and saw this, otherwise I would have forgotten!

Will do my best to be there! ;)

Slyer
19th November 2008, 08:09
May tag along, would be a good idea to set a final take off point for the ride (the BP on SH16 perhaps? Else just uni) After that nobody joins in...

Shell westgate fool!

shingo
19th November 2008, 16:03
Shell westgate fool!

I think he's talking about the one just before Kumeu which, if i remember correctly, would be better since it has a larger area to gather.

PirateJafa
19th November 2008, 17:38
I think he's talking about the one just before Kumeu which, if i remember correctly, would be better since it has a larger area to gather.
And 98 octane.

portokiwi
19th November 2008, 17:44
Might try and make it..... All depends how many are sleeping over after the BBQ:laugh:

ital916
19th November 2008, 18:02
put the learners up the front behind the leader with experienced riders behind them, none of this leaving them at the back stuff. Oh and it might help if you all dont boost off as fast as you can when the group hits the motorway, stay as a group. Wish I wasn't working, would have loved to lend a hand keeping the idiots at bay. Ride safe, remember andrew no one gets left behind. my 2c.

ciao

motorbyclist
19th November 2008, 19:50

yes and no

the problem is people are generally useless

as such, shell westgate has become a common meeting place purely because it is hard to miss - yet people still manage to fail it

however, in light of recent fuel mileage figures on the riffer, there will be a stop there for 98 octane:headbang:

i would say to fill up before arrival, but last time i said that we had to wait 20 minutes for one guy to go fill up, and stopped three times for gas before leaving auckland anyway

SO, we stop by shell to collect those who don't want to waste time/petrol going to uni, then head to BP kumeu. there we gas up. there are no other gas stops on the route as we are not detouring via helensville. if we miss shell, we will have the latecomers playing one difficult game of catch-up, and make it more difficult for the shell people to arrive on time

at BP kumeu I will give the main briefing (mainly addressed at the learners) before we officially set off from there, rather than giving the thing twice. chain checks etc will be at uni/shell/motorway

put the learners up the front behind the leader with experienced riders behind them, none of this leaving them at the back stuff. Oh and it might help if you all dont boost off as fast as you can when the group hits the motorway, stay as a group.

or we let the idiots go up ahead and leave those who want to stay with/help the learners do so

motorbyclist
19th November 2008, 19:51
*big post later tonight with map of route*

klyong82
19th November 2008, 19:52
And 98 octane.

I think that BP sells avgas too.....as in aviation fuel .....moar rocket power for the V4's

Squiggles
19th November 2008, 20:51
or we let the idiots go up ahead and leave those who want to stay with/help the learners do so

Or no idiots show up as per post 129 (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=1798753&postcount=129) If people wish to do the 'learners ride' they should attend, if they cant handle it being a 'learners ride' i'd suggest they find/make another :msn-wink:

Dragon
19th November 2008, 21:11
so it's this sunday ok hopefully getting my bike saturday so if i'm there I'm there if not then maybe next time.

ital916
19th November 2008, 21:45
yes and no

the problem is people are generally useless

as such, shell westgate has become a common meeting place purely because it is hard to miss - yet people still manage to fail it

however, in light of recent fuel mileage figures on the riffer, there will be a stop there for 98 octane:headbang:

i would say to fill up before arrival, but last time i said that we had to wait 20 minutes for one guy to go fill up, and stopped three times for gas before leaving auckland anyway

SO, we stop by shell to collect those who don't want to waste time/petrol going to uni, then head to BP kumeu. there we gas up. there are no other gas stops on the route as we are not detouring via helensville. if we miss shell, we will have the latecomers playing one difficult game of catch-up, and make it more difficult for the shell people to arrive on time

at BP kumeu I will give the main briefing (mainly addressed at the learners) before we officially set off from there, rather than giving the thing twice. chain checks etc will be at uni/shell/motorway

make sure there are no idiots on the ride, put the learners up the front. It is the tried and true method. It is silly to put learners at the back. Idiots can ride another day for a fast paced ride or do it solo.

Edit: I look forward to hearing of this learner rides success, as I believe it will be a good time to showcase that you guys can organise a ride that can stick together, travel at legal *or just above i.e 110km/h* learner/responsible speeds without losing people or having incidents. Also med kits and tool kits would be a good idea and charged cell phones. and fer the love of the big fella put the learners behind the leader.

BANZAI
19th November 2008, 21:57
I might not be able to attend this ride.

I might attend Classic Car Race/meeting at Waiuku with Lotus Eusopa S :p

(not that I get chance to sit in the drivers seat but yea still..)

retro asian
19th November 2008, 21:59

Well if the G-King is not going, I'm not going.

...actually I'd love to, but can't make to Shell by 11Am :crybaby:

BANZAI
19th November 2008, 22:18
Well if the G-King is not going, I'm not going.

...actually I'd love to, but can't make to Shell by 11Am :crybaby:

Learner ride sounds good but Lotus Europa S and other classic cars sounds more appealing to me :bleh:

motorbyclist
19th November 2008, 22:30
make sure there are no idiots on the ride, put the learners up the front. It is the tried and true method.

since when?

i beleive i said in the first post that if you are ahead of me you aren't in the ride, you're in a concurrent ride not related to the learners.

ie i'd rather have the 'idiots' well clear of the less confident than nipping at their heels.

i can't make sure there arn't idiots, but but letting them out front ensures any bins aren't on my watch and can be addressed easily

I might attend Classic Car Race/meeting at Waiuku with Lotus Eusopa S :p

(not that I get chance to sit in the drivers seat but yea still..)

fucking come on the ride you pussy!

either walk around a whole lot of posers trying to impress their boyfriends and pretend they're young again, or actually go out and do what they wish they were still doing!

BANZAI
19th November 2008, 22:35
fucking come on the ride you pussy!

either walk around a whole lot of posers trying to impress their boyfriends and pretend they're young again, or actually go out and do what they wish they were still doing!

I might be riding down there with Lotus Europa S taking twisty from Pukekoe to Waiuku :p

Squiggles
19th November 2008, 22:45
Doesnt matter what you call it, Its still a car.

BANZAI
19th November 2008, 23:00
Doesnt matter what you call it, Its still a car.

But but it involves lots of $$$, 10x of TL :p

Slyer
19th November 2008, 23:30
I have a funny story about banzai and cars...

motorbyclist
19th November 2008, 23:51
so i've gone for a cruise and assessed the route. it's all sweet, plans have been made, lunch is sorted and all should be good

i checked out the muriwai beach accesses, went right up the south head, including the gravel (which is pretty tame but vibrated and broke my fairing :crybaby: ) and came back through riverhead and ridge road (another fine road for learners)

next post is the plan with maps

motorbyclist
20th November 2008, 00:16

We should leave there at 11 or just a bit past. From there we head north up sh16 and stop in parakai to stretch our legs etc for a few minutes. Then we continue along into the twisties.

We will next stop at Shelly Beach for lunch. The cafe there does fish&chips and knows we're coming. Nice spot by the beach.

We leave there "when we do" and head north. Next stop is a lookout about 1km before the road turns to gravel. It is on a typical corner a biker will crash on (I nearly have!), so we can take that opportunity to look at why this is and what to do if we don't know it's there. This is a key skill in riding, and you don't want to learn it the hard way.

Then we head back south. We will stop on the way down at a rest area to again stretch/break before continuing to Parakai. From there we will decide if we go home back down sh16 or go through helensville and/or riverhead etc etc

The breaks are planned for location and timing so the learners can ask any questions and/or heed any advice. I can also give warnings of what lies ahead;)

So quit arguing!:Pokey:

map link here, (http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?f=d&saddr=Symonds+St&daddr=-36.572251,174.376717+to:South+Head+Rd&hl=en&geocode=FVCszf0dnsVqCg%3B%3BFZ4j0_0d8NNiCg&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=14&via=1&sll=-36.576042,174.364014&sspn=0.050869,0.087547&ie=UTF8&ll=-36.683288,174.561081&spn=0.406383,0.700378&z=11) and attached

klyong82
20th November 2008, 07:54
But but it involves lots of $$$, 10x of TL :p

Interested in a BMW 330CI convertible? Its got formula 1 style gear changing shift pedals? Could do you a deal

GSXR Trace
20th November 2008, 08:17
so i've gone for a cruise and assessed the route. it's all sweet, plans have been made, lunch is sorted and all should be good

i checked out the muriwai beach accesses, went right up the south head, including the gravel (which is pretty tame but vibrated and broke my fairing :crybaby: ) and came back through riverhead and ridge road (another fine road for learners)

next post is the plan with maps

Im fine with gravel... but a little worried about your fairing breaking... why?
Im gonna be a pedantic little girl and ask... cause i don't want any damage to my bike (im very protective of my bike if anyone hasn't figured that out yet)

Ragingrob
20th November 2008, 10:01
I just gotta say, I dunno what all this learner ride bashing is about Dushy? Any learner ride I've been on has been exactly that, where we cruise at learner pace as a group. The rides where people have boosted off obviously weren't organised learner rides as such. As far as I can see, there is noone coming on the ride that doesn't see it as a learner ride.

PirateJafa
20th November 2008, 10:02
Interested in a BMW 330CI convertible? Its got formula 1 style gear changing shift pedals? Could do you a deal
This is Banzai.

He likes drooling over cars which he can never afford, instead of drooling over bikes which he could afford some day in the next few years and half the time which perform better anyway!

klyong82
20th November 2008, 10:12
This is Banzai.

He likes drooling over cars which he can never afford, instead of drooling over bikes which he could afford some day in the next few years and half the time which perform better anyway!

:bleh: Well I myself tend to only look at cars that I can afford buying. Only other expensive car that I have sat in was a Ferrari Modena which belonged to a mate and the cockpit of a Mclaren F1 MP4-16.

BANZAI
20th November 2008, 10:36
I have a funny story about banzai and cars...

No, Im practicing now :p

$500? or wanna swap with GN?

This is Banzai.

I do drool over cars that I cant afford, and I do drool over bikes I can't physically afford (ie, B-king, V-max, Hayabusa etc)

Cars corner better and protect you from temparamental NZ weather :p

:bleh: Well I myself tend to only look at cars that I can afford buying. Only other expensive car that I have sat in was a Ferrari Modena which belonged to a mate and the cockpit of a Mclaren F1 MP4-16.

Wooooot. But 348/355 is best V8 Ferrari came out, I don't like 360 personally...
But Mclaren :drool:

Anyway I should be able to come to see you guys after the ride.
Are you guys gonna do practice at carpark or something? RC track would be best place to practice slow cornering! :p

I can come back to akl about 3pm-ish??

portokiwi
20th November 2008, 10:40
BMW 330CI convertible:drool: Is it a manual

motorbyclist
20th November 2008, 11:41
Im fine with gravel... but a little worried about your fairing breaking... why?
Im gonna be a pedantic little girl and ask... cause i don't want any damage to my bike (im very protective of my bike if anyone hasn't figured that out yet)

nothing major. there was two pre-existing cracks in my front fairings when i bought the bike, that had been glued back up. all the vibration from riding on gravel that long managed to break the glue and spread the cracks

so today i hope to find some suitable epoxy to fix it properly

but don't worry - we are NOT riding on gravel

Cars corner better and protect you from temparamental NZ weather :p

can you really claim cars generally corner better than bikes? i'm yet to be out cornered by any car, holden or porche

besides, bikes are moar fun:headbang:

PirateJafa
20th November 2008, 12:07
Anyway I should be able to come to see you guys after the ride.
Are you guys gonna do practice at carpark or something? RC track would be best place to practice slow cornering! :p

The whole point of the learner ride is to teach learners how to ride on the road!

Slyer
20th November 2008, 12:17
I think it's more about riding as a group?

motorbyclist
20th November 2008, 12:20
it's both

primarily it's a (relatively) safe way to start, and we can nip any bad habits in the bud

motorbyclist
20th November 2008, 12:21
yui i strongly suggest you come on this ride

Slyer
20th November 2008, 12:27
Why do you strongly suggest that?

Squiggles
20th November 2008, 13:14
Because he wants to 'nip his bad habits in the bud'?

portokiwi
20th November 2008, 14:18
How long do the rides normaly take?

ital916
20th November 2008, 15:25
I just gotta say, I dunno what all this learner ride bashing is about Dushy? Any learner ride I've been on has been exactly that, where we cruise at learner pace as a group. The rides where people have boosted off obviously weren't organised learner rides as such. As far as I can see, there is noone coming on the ride that doesn't see it as a learner ride.

Im not bashing anything just giving my opinion, andrew will lead the ride as he sees fit, which I'm sure will be fine.

And dont rely on who replies on here to turn up, there are always people who dont post that turn up.

Slyer
20th November 2008, 15:30
And vice versa. :yes:

Blakomen
20th November 2008, 16:39
Meet on Symonds street ... etc

Sounds like a great plan i'm totally amped! corner practice ftw

klyong82
20th November 2008, 17:52
$500? or wanna swap with GN?

Wooooot. But 348/355 is best V8 Ferrari came out, I don't like 360 personally...
But Mclaren :drool:

The boss says given the current economic conditions he will accept 500 bucks and GN as deposit and the rest finance....how about that?

Well there are plenty of Ferrari's where I am staying but I have to agreed I find the 348 really nice eventhough they are old.

BMW 330CI convertible:drool: Is it a manual

2004 model tiptronic gearbox with aftermarket SMG paddle shift. Most of the ones that came into NZ are tiptronic but having a manual one would be as close as you get to a M3....lovely cars

motorbyclist
20th November 2008, 22:00
Why do you strongly suggest that?

from what i hear he could really use the practice and instruction

BANZAI
20th November 2008, 23:52
from what i hear he could really use the practice and instruction

Awwww :(

Hmph, the thing is I will be at Howick on Saturday night and my friend in Lotus is leaving howick at 6:30am. So that's lot more closer than the ride. I will come along in afternoon if you guys are still hanging around. :)

motorbyclist
21st November 2008, 00:49
who cares what the lotus driver is doing?

leaving there at 6:30am sounds a LOT more difficult than getting to uni at 9am

Gremlin
21st November 2008, 01:06
You realise the forecast for Sunday is looking quite crappy at the mo?

http://www.metvuw.com/forecast/forecast.php?type=rain&region=nzni&noofdays=3

motorbyclist
21st November 2008, 08:27
yep, doesn't look good at all (http://www.metservice.co.nz/default/index.php?alias=rainfcst_3daynz)

unfortunately it's pretty hard to pick a clear weekend when you pick a date months in advance

motorbyclist
21st November 2008, 08:28
rain date is the following sunday btw

Blakomen
21st November 2008, 09:42
rain date is the following sunday btw

damn it >< it took me forever to get the time off work

!@%&* rain

on the bright side, at least its not what they've forecasted for monday...

GSXR Trace
21st November 2008, 11:46
why can't the learners get practice in the rain? take it slow, its good experience for them
not saying can't also do dry practice following weekend... but why not do both?

Gremlin
21st November 2008, 13:23
why can't the learners get practice in the rain? take it slow, its good experience for them
Its more a case of understanding where the learners are at with their skills. I ran a couple of new rider day outs a couple of years ago with mates. (not hassling learners) but be surprised at what you get. I think we had some that had done a few days of riding, one wouldn't go over 70, despite trucks right up his arse etc.

Thankfully, we had zero incidents, but we did have a couple of close calls... so for learners, over plan. It is a mix of giving them experience, but keeping them out of danger.... yeah... not an easy decision, but ours were all in good weather.

Eng_dave
22nd November 2008, 05:49
This still going ahead heard the weather was going to be shocking tomorrow? Don't mind the wet but 110 in the twisties and wet sounds like an experience I need some guidence on. Like draw me a fecking diagram already.:cold:

Squiggles
22nd November 2008, 07:59
If its wet tomorrow then nah, its not going ahead...

motorbyclist
22nd November 2008, 11:47
Its more a case of understanding where the learners are at with their skills. ... so for learners, over plan. It is a mix of giving them experience, but keeping them out of danger....

exactly

if the roads are slippery we won't go - it's just too dodgy, and most rides are dropped in the face of rain anyway so we aren't missing anything we don't get while commuting anyway.

the ride is late enough in the day for overnight rain to dry up.

golden rule for the wet - take it very easy. done.

Blakomen
22nd November 2008, 15:57
and not to mention wind. i hate wind. wind + rain = die

Squiggles
22nd November 2008, 18:02
http://www.metvuw.co.nz/forecast/forecast.php?type=rain&region=nzni&noofdays=7
Getting worse and worse... reasonable winds and rain :(

Hanne
22nd November 2008, 18:24
If its wet tomorrow then nah, its not going ahead...

Liddle Stephen afraid of the wet?

klyong82
22nd November 2008, 19:06
Liddle Stephen afraid of the wet?

Liddle Stephen's afraid of dry weather too...he did not come for coro-loop....he did turn up for the barbie and we saw how happy he was riding Ross's Honda..

motorbyclist
22nd November 2008, 20:01
well i hate to say this, but the ride will have to be postponed until sunday the 30th of November

i've just cleaned my bike so bugger riding in the rain!

Slyer
22nd November 2008, 20:13
got a lan so I'm out!

GSXR Trace
22nd November 2008, 22:19

i've just cleaned my bike so bugger riding in the rain!

is it absolutely 100% postponed, or is that just if its raining???

motorbyclist
22nd November 2008, 22:25
yep - the rain is bang over where we are riding, and when we are riding
(http://www.metservice.co.nz/default/index.php?alias=rainfcst_3daynz)
we could ride out east somewhere, but it won't be the Learner ride anymore and will likely still see rain

i may go to the meeting point anyway just to tell those who have not checked the forum

macros87
22nd November 2008, 22:35
ahhh i was looking forward to this, andrew you have let me down... yes i do blame the weather on you...

GSXR Trace
22nd November 2008, 22:38
yep - the rain is bang over where we are riding, and when we are riding
(http://www.metservice.co.nz/default/index.php?alias=rainfcst_3daynz)
we could ride out east somewhere, but it won't be the Learner ride anymore and will likely still see rain

i may go to the meeting point anyway just to tell those who have not checked the forum

so your bike is going to get wet anyway...

yep im keen for a ride out east, or else my plan of 9 days in a row of decent rides will fail! Anyone else keen for a ride?

Zim_Invader
23rd November 2008, 01:58
any chance we can postpone it to the 28th (a friday). sundays are work for me, and i really really wanna be at a learner ride. i need the lessons.

hehe... but then again, i have a secret weapon.... toto's my line teacher!

motorbyclist
23rd November 2008, 02:13
so your bike is going to get wet anyway...

not if i take my brother's r6 which he kindly left in my carport after misplacing his licence

hehe... but then again, i have a secret weapon.... toto's my line teacher!

watch out, he's a different rider on a different bike so could well be taking different lines to what you should be

last coro i was on, the rider following toto ended up hitting an oncoming truck

Zim_Invader
23rd November 2008, 02:20
watch out, he's a different rider on a different bike so could well be taking different lines to what you should be

last coro i was on the rider following toto ended up hitting an oncoming truck

haha.. did toto know that he was being followed by the other dude on the last ride? yea, i guess i was a lucky learner ths time then, but his lines were pretty nice to follow. it was with some slightly late apexing. but again, a really nice line. it felt good to follow. maybe he's taking it easy on the hooligan, for now, (becoz of the hooligan's history). or maybe the last dude was pushing it too much at the wrong points? either way, i still learnt lots following him this ride.

here's me hoping he keeps this sorta riding going eveytime i follow him!

Gremlin
23rd November 2008, 04:19
... but his lines were pretty nice to follow. it was with some slightly late apexing. but again, a really nice line. it felt good to follow.
When riding on the road, you want to late apex, taking the racing line on the road is not a good idea, as it leaves you no room for error, and funnily enough... it ain't a racetrack? :rolleyes:

Using a late apex, you should have plenty left for handling debris, unexpected changes in road layout, oncoming vehicles using your lane etc

Eng_dave
23rd November 2008, 07:57
Just woke up and its dry as, windy but dry anyone wanna still go?

Eng_dave
23rd November 2008, 08:07
Just checked the weather acording to the met office no rain till tuesday but what do they know? Yeah im eager so what.

motorbyclist
23rd November 2008, 11:11
well fuck me it turns out intuition is better than weather forecasters yet again

unfortunately i had to call it the night before as some riders wanted to know how pissed they could get last night

frankly it's pretty bloody windy at the moment too

if you know where i live pop round before 2pm and we can still go to shelly beach for lunch

racefactory
23rd November 2008, 11:57
Where is your place? So who is coming?

racefactory
23rd November 2008, 12:07
shit i might meet you then at the end of the kumeu motorway joining onto SH16.

got to get my air filter and shit back on in time...

got no fucking texts for 027!!!!!!

motorbyclist
23rd November 2008, 12:14
pm sent

i'll be stopping at the bp just south of kumeu

racefactory
23rd November 2008, 12:46
bro im not gonna make it by 2... who's coming? If there's lots of you guys fuck it just leave without me

motorbyclist
23rd November 2008, 18:57
righto, was a nice ride, began raining as soon as we headed out of course, so we only went to shelly beach and back.

food was great though

as an interesting experiment (restrospectively speaking) we had trademe900, experienced newbie on an NC30, macros87, with 6000km scooter experience but all of two weeks on his zxr250a, and my 15y/o brother Chris, who has been riding dirt bikes since primary school and is 5 months into his learners on an fxr and now hornet250, and me on the riffer

trademe did quite well as expected (ie not really a learner despite the plate)

macros had a few hairy moments on the road to shelly beach due to inexperience compounded by a well placed fear of slippery surfaces. pumped tyres from 20psi to 33 at the first stop we made, which helped a fair bit.

chris was fine but hit some tar bleed on the road back from the beach in a slow right hander and the front slipped out. luckily no injury but there's a nasty dent in the hornet's tank that will need to be bogged and painted. same corner had tyre marks in the ditch from cars suffering the same fate. might be a reason to finally address the front tyre being the wrong size

in light of this i gave a few lessons on what makes good chipseal in the wet and to watch out for bleed, and a bit on making lines to avoid those hairy moments.

looking at the accident there really isn't much that could've been done rider wise - road conditions and possibly the tyre, with apparently just enough speed to start a slip, are to blame here.

so a few more mental notes made for the big ride this coming sunday - weather permitting - and proof that learner rides are cancelled for a reason; could've been much more that just the one bike going down today.

racefactory
23rd November 2008, 19:14
Can't believe i actually made it in time just as you guys were filling up at the BP!

Glad your brother wasn't hurt- all in all, good wet weather experience...

Just how the fuck do you do this then??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se9DOJQyW00
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OOpE7fBw28&feature=related

Second video is the same guy.. with pillion on the back...both knee down in pissing rain. When i get my new tyres i want to try it like that in a car park. I reckon if i've got it cranked over like that in the wet just once then I'll have so much more confidence knowing that the extra turning is always there...

motorbyclist
23rd November 2008, 20:13
I reckon if i've got it cranked over like that in the wet just once then I'll have so much more confidence knowing that the extra turning is always there...

but it isn't always there

as we saw today we can slip at even the lowest of speeds and leans - it largely comes down to surface

gijoe1313
23rd November 2008, 20:28
Poos and wees, sorry to hear about that! Apart from that it seems like you guys had a nice enough ride out.

Glad to hear your bro wasn't too badly injured and its good to know that the lil'ol'hornet was good to go and get him back home again! :sweatdrop

Blakomen
23rd November 2008, 20:50

lol and then what do you know, now i cant make it XD

unless i give up a 3 month paid internship...

Grahameeboy
23rd November 2008, 20:56

as we saw today we can slip at even the lowest of speeds and leans - it largely comes down to surface

That stuff is a buffer..caught some going straight and wiggled a bit...

racefactory
23rd November 2008, 21:47

Yeap for sure. I should have added- on a well maintained chip seal road.

For me it was a good lesson in road surfaces in wet:

Hotmix is excellent shit in dry due to increased contact patch but it is a slippery surface when wet due to the water unable to disperse anywhere and is therefore left as a surface between the tyre and the road.

tarseals and white lines as we all know obviously the shittiest surfaces in the wet due to very bad draining properties- they are smooth as fuck and therefore water sits on top of them in a slick film.

chipseal the best surface in the wet. But only GOOD chipseal. This surface i think has best water draining properties as the water sits between the chips providing more useful 'dry' surface area for the tyre contact... even if there is actually less total surface area than hotmix in dry.

However... chipseal can also on the other hand can be bad if it is in poor conditiin. because it is made out of stones, they can become loose and that is bad shit. Also the surface can wear very badly creating ridges or crests in places... But worst of all, is when chip seal wears down so much... the tar has come through to the surface. that is what we saw today wasn't it? first impressions things look ok but later on after the crash we saw that the chipseal was worn down to the tar and so he was in effect riding on a very poorly drained surface,.. front wheel skids on the layer of water and lowside.... . hot mix on the other hand doesnt have these inconsistent kind of properties and is more predictable despite having less total grip in wet.

Those things kind of sunk in today...

The smoothest surfaces you can find will be the BEST due to increased contact area in the dry but the WORST in the wet due to poorest water dispersion/drainage as a result of less ''pores'' for the water to sit in. I think that's right..

That brings me to the question... what are race tracks made out of? I guess they need to have a balance between wet and dry so something in middle of hot mix and chip seal?

PirateJafa
23rd November 2008, 22:04
Amateur answer.

Pro answer (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=1815702#post1815702).

Ixion
23rd November 2008, 22:09
The roads were very slippery today, as is always the case when a period of light rain or drizzle follows a prolonged dry spell.

There is no solution except a large dose of Nanna pills.

PirateJafa
23rd November 2008, 22:09
Or a motard?

Ixion
23rd November 2008, 22:12
Motard won't grip any better than anything else. And even a skilled rider on a motard will struggle to control a front wheel slide.

PirateJafa
23rd November 2008, 22:44
Yes, but they are generally cheaper to crash.

Ixion
23rd November 2008, 22:53
True. So is a GN250.

PirateJafa
23rd November 2008, 23:01
Yes, but if you crash a GN you generally pull out a box of matches and a petrol-soaked rag to finish it off, then give insurance a call.

Then consider it a lesson learnt.

racefactory
23rd November 2008, 23:22
:laugh: :laugh: yes quite.

that 'pro' road surface write up is interesting.

motorbyclist
24th November 2008, 13:26
That brings me to the question... what are race tracks made out of? I guess they need to have a balance between wet and dry so something in middle of hot mix and chip seal?

race tracks are made of asphalt

chip seal can't stand up to heavy traffic/braking as the stones come loose

in the wet they ditch the slicks and ride with heavily treadded wets

might add i have seen tar bleeding from asphalt

and tar snakes are the most dangerous "repairs" i've ever seen

macros87
24th November 2008, 16:38
so are we still doing this again next weekend? cause even tho there was the little hick up with your brother, i still found the experience useful, and i learned quiet a bit... then again since that ride alone doubled my experience en the zxr you would expect it to teach me a thing or two. + i would find it it much more fun in the dry man... has the dent on the tank been fixed yet? your dad didn't look too happy about it :P

Squiggles
24th November 2008, 17:15
Yer, we're doing it this Sunday, ill edit the thread name