PDA

View Full Version : Noobie needs help. KDX200 Top End Rebuild

Badger8
2nd November 2008, 06:41
Everyone prepare to laugh at the newbie :bleh:
Am totally new to the world of 2-strokes, having recently got my hands on a KDX200 for a bit of off-road fun. I am loving her to bits, even though she still scares the hell outta me at times, heheh.

Anyways, she is due for a top end rebuild. I have never done one before, and have a few questions (many of them probably laughable, but we all have a first time for things :yes:)
Any help appreciated (and a bit of ribbing expected)

-Easy to do? (i'm an engineer, and fairly mechanically minded, just never done one before)
-Good place to procure the bits? and what bits do i need? (new piston, rings, gaskets... anything else? Elbow grease? Headlight fluid? :bleh:) How much are the bits likely to set me back?
-Wanting to chuck an hour meter on her too. Easily done to set one up to run off the alternator? (told you i was a noob to this :laugh:)

and... erm... how would one go about it? :o
i've had a mate describe it as "just rip the head off, pull the piston out, whack the new one in, bolt the head back on... be done before you finish your 2nd beer", but he is also a bit of a mannus...

Am just going through the process of gettin ready to do it at this stage, but she really does need it done fairly soon.

Any help appreciated! :2thumbsup

cs363
2nd November 2008, 07:14
-Easy to do? (i'm an engineer, and fairly mechanically minded, just never done one before)

Yes. They really are easy to work on.

-Good place to procure the bits? and what bits do i need? (new piston, rings, gaskets... anything else? Elbow grease? Headlight fluid? :bleh:) How much are the bits likely to set me back?

MR Motorcycles in Pukekohe, theyll probably have the bits you need in stock as they have sold and serviced heaps of these bikes. You'll need gaskets & rings at a minimum, the piston may be OK. On the other hand you may need a piston and a small end bearing and maybe other things, it really depends on the condition of your engine and what you find when you open her up.

-Wanting to chuck an hour meter on her too. Easily done to set one up to run off the alternator? (told you i was a noob to this :laugh:)

MR Motorcycles have these, easily fitted - (they come with easy to follow instructions)

-and... erm... how would one go about it? :o
i've had a mate describe it as "just rip the head off, pull the piston out, whack the new one in, bolt the head back on... be done before you finish your 2nd beer", but he is also a bit of a mannus...

Just Google 'KDX200 top end rebuild' you'll find plenty of info and even a couple of videos on You Tube!
Better still, (and/or as well as) get yourself a workshop manual (again from MR Motorcycles, or maybe TradeMe if you're lucky)
Finally if you need any more info just send a PM to Scott411 on here - he is one of the owners of that shop :)

Badger8
2nd November 2008, 08:50
Cheers mate, that instills a bit of confidence :)
Intend to do the mighty google search and sift through the rubbish later today. Always good to get advice for varied sources tho :)

tommorth
2nd November 2008, 09:14
ive got a manual on my computer for the bike if you want it the most important thing to remember when taking the top end off is that the nut on top of the arm that moves the powervalve is a lefthand thread and must be suported when its undone

Badger8
2nd November 2008, 09:20
Yeah that'd be great thanks tommy, just email it through or somethin.
She's a beaut little bike too :) i'm getting the hang of her now, and she's only thrown me twice so far :laugh:

tommorth
2nd November 2008, 09:36
can ya pm me your email addy

Henk
2nd November 2008, 09:57
Easy job, being an engineer you obviously have the required mechanical apptitude, if you get the manual (and can read) it should take you four hours or less the first time you attack it and will get faster every time. Do yourself a favour and take everything off from the word go. I've tried taking shortcuts with this sort of job by leaving radiators etc attached to the bike but you end up taking them off anyway and it just adds time and agravation to the job.

Badger8
13th December 2008, 21:03
Well i finally got around to doing the rebuild today, and boy am i glad i did!
Spent a good few hours pulling her to pieces methodically and carefully, replaced piston, rings, roller bearing, plug, head and base gaskets etc, popped her all back together. Made a myriad of adjustments and fine-tunes as we went, so it's set up better now too :)

Kick her over once she's all back together. Damn, that's what compression feels like! :laugh: She goes real well now, and is a lot happier at idle. Feels like a fair bit more boogie too, just took her up and down the street but could feel the front wanting to lift :2thumbsup

Had a bit of closer inspection at the old piston when cleaning up... Hrm, THAT is why you do top-end rebuilds... few cracks in the piston, and one really good sized one... Cant help but wonder how much longer before she would've come a-cropper and caused much pain and damage to the guts.

Now i just gotta find the time to get out there and ride! :yes: