PDA

View Full Version : oi blakomen shut up with the noob questions

Blakomen
2nd November 2008, 20:23
like how dare you think of asking people about the following, especially when they should be studying for exams, and you should be too:

SITUATION: your bike is making bizarre squelching noises when you apply the front brake, especially at a lower speed (although this may be because you can't hear it over the enGNine past like 50km/h). Also, it's very squeaky, and appears to be coming from the front wheel.

Previously, the rear tyre wheel bearings have died, and you wonder whether or not the same could be happening to the front, and wonder if that would relate to the brakes, or whether it's a combination of both.

BUT to cut down on the wall of text the REAL question which you dare to ask is:

since you're planning to change out the front and the rear tyres, do you:

1) go get your bike serviced and fixed first, THEN replace the tyres
2) replace the tyres, THEN go get your bike serviced
3) see if you can get it all done at once at the same place, possibly foregoing Cycletreads

HOLY CRAP that was a long question and far more in-depth than anyone could possibly want to know about my biek + skillz

but there now i have 0 more reasons to procrastinate study. BACK TO STUDY!!!

Squiggles
2nd November 2008, 20:30
4) You ask me to have a listen, if its urgent, you have it done urgently, if it can wait till after my exams, we can probably find time to service the bike etc

BANZAI
2nd November 2008, 20:31
like how dare you think of asking people about the following, especially when they should be studying for exams, and you should be too:

SITUATION: your bike is making bizarre squelching noises when you apply the front brake, especially at a lower speed (although this may be because you can't hear it over the enGNine past like 50km/h). Also, it's very squeaky, and appears to be coming from the front wheel.

Previously, the rear tyre wheel bearings have died, and you wonder whether or not the same could be happening to the front, and wonder if that would relate to the brakes, or whether it's a combination of both.

BUT to cut down on the wall of text the REAL question which you dare to ask is:

since you're planning to change out the front and the rear tyres, do you:

1) go get your bike serviced and fixed first, THEN replace the tyres
2) replace the tyres, THEN go get your bike serviced
3) see if you can get it all done at once at the same place, possibly foregoing Cycletreads

HOLY CRAP that was a long question and far more in-depth than anyone could possibly want to know about my biek + skillz

but there now i have 0 more reasons to procrastinate study. BACK TO STUDY!!!

The front brake of GN squeeking is very popular. Mine does that and every now and then people look at me LOL

Seems like front bearing does wear out very quickly so get it from Haldanes and installed it at Cycletreads. (Haldanes always do have them in stock and it is $1 cheaper than Cycletreads lol, but haldanes charges heaps to get it done)

Then you can ger your tyre changed there too!!!

Blakomen
2nd November 2008, 20:58
4) sounds like a cool option but like, it is exam time, so im not expecting any favours esp if you got like....maths exams :eek5:

and the brake noise is more like...a squelch, thats the best way i can describe it. like a .... sqeeeesh..... okay no, text doesn't do it justice. ah well.

shingo
2nd November 2008, 21:43
It's mere speculation but it could be due to crappy or incorrectly bedded-in brake pads. They can have a tendency to squeal under ordinary braking.

Shadows
2nd November 2008, 23:10
SITUATION: your bike is making bizarre squelching noises when you apply the front brake, especially at a lower speed (although this may be because you can't hear it over the enGNine past like 50km/h).

Something else to think about. Have you checked your fork seals?

motorbyclist
3rd November 2008, 00:03
considering the considerable brake dive on those bikes, is it just the oil/bubbles passing though fork valves you can hear?

hold the brakes on and squash the forks, see if that makes the sound

AND/OR

come to uni today and find me/squiggles

4) You ask me to have a listen, if its urgent, you have it done urgently, if it can wait till after my exams, we can probably find time to service the bike etc

+1

Patar
3rd November 2008, 08:36
to me it just sounds like he has squeeky brakes, mine do it occasionally as well and it isn't a big deal (as far as i'm aware).

motorbyclist
3rd November 2008, 11:04
he said squelching not squealing

Slyer
3rd November 2008, 11:51
Like a sponge being squished sound? =/

Ragingrob
3rd November 2008, 11:53
he said squelching not squealing

Definitely implying liquidity.

Slyer
3rd November 2008, 12:01
Like a warm fish milkshake?

Blakomen
3rd November 2008, 12:50
Like a warm fish milkshake?

yes! (no, not really)

lol yeah, its like....well theres like a squeaky noise when going at speed akin to a squeaky hamster running on a squeaky wheel, but when braking its...different. not a high pitched one. like a something being squashed. dunno.

I know eh, I'm so descriptive and helpful...!@$*@ exams !@$*!@$ not what i need right now garrrr

motorbyclist
3rd November 2008, 15:06
well bring it to uni!

Blakomen
7th November 2008, 17:08
well bring it to uni!

now that ive *just* (like literally just) finished my final exam of forever, im much more freer to brings it in for a checkup! when do your/squiggles' exams finish so i can get it looked at? cause yeah, i dont wanna be steppin on anyone's study time now

Squiggles
7th November 2008, 17:12
well we're up in strata now so you could come down to uni... might be in the carpark by then

Blakomen
7th November 2008, 22:14
sorry man i wasnt expecting a reply so quick :s was out celebrating :innocent: when do yer exams finish?

Blakomen
14th November 2008, 10:00
status update for all of you :whocares: :yes:

okay so i decided to pay mt eden motorcycles to look at it (so that i can blame them if it still didnt work) :P and the results are in two parts:

1) the squelchy and squeaky noise i was talking about? dirty brake pads LOL

however, the rear wheel clunking (which previously was wheel bearings) has returned, albeit nowhere near as loud or as worrying as before...

so maybe i'll just bring it in to the next fix it day to have a look at. if i crash cause my bike dies i can be all like "OI MT EDEN MOTORCYCLES YOU JUST SERVICED MY BIKE LAH"

sidenote: how long does it take to wear tyres in? im planning to come on the Lride but dunno if i should change tyres or not (then again, maybe unbroken good tyres better than stock tyres >.>)

Ragingrob
14th November 2008, 10:06
Come along to the chiller tonight and someone may diagnose the rear wheel for you.

Just a couple of hundred k's to wear tyres in I think. On the L ride newish tyres shouldn't be a problem unless you're trying to get your knee down! The ride would probably be a mint way to scrub them in to be honest.

motorbyclist
14th November 2008, 10:50
Come along to the chiller tonight and someone may diagnose the rear wheel for you.

Just a couple of hundred k's to wear tyres in I think. On the L ride newish tyres shouldn't be a problem unless you're trying to get your knee down! The ride would probably be a mint way to scrub them in to be honest.

+1

10char

Blakomen
14th November 2008, 22:37
i dunno, i probably dont have a leg to stand on but since they just serviced my bike should they have picked up the rear wheel fault?

i always miss out on chiller nights cause of work loll only *just* got home

but hmmm! maybe ill switch the tyres soon :D

Zim_Invader
21st November 2008, 01:50
:devil: hehe... or u;

5) call it quits, scrap the bike and sell it for parts to banzai. then use the money made to:

a) get a helicopter license (may require additional funding/ stealing), and a chopper as your graduation gift. let's face it. traffic and the danger of lane splitting will be of no issue again!

b) use the money to have some "fun" at a place like the white house (don't go to showgirls... some of them have aids.... i'm zimbabwean we can tell it just by looking at them - comes with years of experience and many many cases observed!

haha... hope u managed to sort it out with squigs bud. he'll get it fixed for you

Blakomen
21st November 2008, 09:39
lol i decided to get it done at mt eden motorcycles to:

a) save squigs the hassle
b) since i pay mt eden motorcycles to do it, they had better do a good job!!

anyway, the *final* result is, apparently my rear wheel was missing a spacer?

I dont even know what that is, but all i know is that the rubbish clunking is GONE! :done:

but it ended up costin a fair bit. ah well. life.

zim are you coming on sunday?! teach me to corner, being the SMC golden example you are :D

motorbyclist
22nd November 2008, 11:57
b) since i pay mt eden motorcycles to do it, they had better do a good job!!

:killingme:

Blakomen
22nd November 2008, 15:55
lol yeah oh well. it runs fine now.

but can someone tell me what the hell a spacer is, and how it came to be that i was missing one? :sweatdrop

motorbyclist
22nd November 2008, 19:51
just a bit of metal to make sure things are sitting in the right place

people often lose or forget them, or might put the wrong ones in the wrong places

Blakomen
22nd November 2008, 20:26
so i guess its totally possible that when i got my bearings replaced @ cycletreads they didnt put one back in, which made everything die a lot faster?

that sounds like a good hypothesis to me