PDA

View Full Version : I need lubes! Lots of lubes!

BANZAI
4th November 2008, 08:48
Hello herrooo!

I need some:

Brake Fluid
Fork oil
Chain lube

and

Chain and Sprocket

Anyone wanna go buy those fluids and share with me?

If we have numbers then we all should go Cycletreads at once then ask them for deals!!! :msn-wink:

My exam will be finished by 10th so free anytime after that!:niceone:

klyong82
4th November 2008, 09:17
I got a silkolene chain-lube that I can give it to you because I absolutely hate it...if you buying new try the maxima chain wax I gives a nice look and the smell which is kinda ....for junkies..i like it

BANZAI
4th November 2008, 09:22
I got a silkolene chain-lube that I can give it to you because I absolutely hate it...if you buying new try the maxima chain wax I gives a nice look and the smell which is kinda ....for junkies..i like it

Oh cool, can I have it then?

xwhatsit
4th November 2008, 09:35
Chain and Sprocket
You need a new chain and sprockets? Are you sure? Didn't it have an almost brand-new set before you bought the bike? How many kms since then?

BANZAI
4th November 2008, 09:39
You need a new chain and sprockets? Are you sure? Didn't it have an almost brand-new set before you bought the bike? How many kms since then?

I'm sure it does need new chain. And I want one tooth up in front. I'm getting new rear one from Twinkle so I just need front. I want confy motorway speed!

Perhaps before that my front sprocket needs a clean. Milage is getting worse and worse now.

Btw give me your clip-ons!:chase:

xwhatsit
4th November 2008, 10:08
Last time I saw the chain it looked fine. As long as you lube it every couple of tanks of gas it'll last for quite a while longer.

If you're going up a tooth on the front, you'll have even less `comfy motorway speed', it'll be slower to get there as it's producing less power at lower rpm.

It's always good to clean around that front sprocket bit (it gets filthy! Worst job), but I doubt that it's causing you a drop in gas mileage :D

Get your own bloody clipons :laugh:

klyong82
4th November 2008, 10:38
Oh cool, can I have it then?

Sweet its yours...just need to find a way to pass it on to you..

Squiggles
4th November 2008, 11:29
Fork oil
Chain lube
Anyone wanna go buy those fluids and share with me?

Bah, dont be cheap, you'll use most of a bottle of fork oil anyway

Slyer
4th November 2008, 12:00
I'll have some fork oil. :)

motorbyclist
4th November 2008, 12:07
i doubt droppiing a tooth on the front will be conducive to improving gas mileage

Squiggles
4th November 2008, 13:53
i doubt droppiing a tooth on the front will be conducive to improving gas mileage

Agreed, it isnt usually, however i think his main aim is to drop the rev's a bit at 100k... it may struggle more to get there though

EJK
4th November 2008, 13:57
Agreed, it isnt usually, however i think his main aim is to drop the rev's a bit at 100k... it may struggle more to get there though

Indeed... Now I hardly use 6th gear anymore...

Slyer
4th November 2008, 14:17
I still only really use 6th gear for the motorway, open road is 5th gear.

NOMIS
4th November 2008, 14:50
sorry off topic

im riding a honda jade and it regeard .. it feels quicker than my hornet on the m.way its crazy..

klyong82
4th November 2008, 15:08
sorry off topic

im riding a honda jade and it regeard .. it feels quicker than my hornet on the m.way its crazy..

My fireblade is regeared too it is nice below 80km/h but from 80km/h onwards seems to suffer...in that feels like it requires more throttle to reach 100km/h.....

Slyer
4th November 2008, 15:13
Gee, a whole 1/20th throttle now? :bleh:

NOMIS
4th November 2008, 16:56
seriously man thta jade is nice to ride lol...

motorbyclist
4th November 2008, 17:21
gear them down and they get more perky with higher revs at lower speeds meaning moar power/torque with a lower top speed

gear them up and they get more lazy, lower revs at high speed - but on a small motor you might not have enough torque to either get to the higher top speed, will lose your already low acceleration, and may have to hold the throttle wide open to maintain 100kph in top gear, or use a lower gear to have higher revs in order to maintain that speed

for max fuel economy at a given speed you want to have the throttle closed or almost closed at whatever engine speed, with lower engine speed making economy better still. eg, idle throttle at 3/4 revs is better than full throttle on idle revs (there will be a balance point/optimum setting, which will probably be what stock gearing achieves)

for more fun/accessible power we gear down so the max speed we intend to reach is the fastest the motor/gearing allows. lotsa close gear changes. dirtbikes are generally set up like this, and are aided by their high torque and wide power band single cylinder motors.

performance seems to require a close ratio gearbox, ie all gears close together, with first gear relatively long so the power band begins a the lowest speed we intend to do. eg NC30 carries first gear hits power from 60 through to 110kph, and 6th tops out around 210kph. this is where a vtwin / vfour hs an advantage over the inline4 / stroke, in that the power band may cover over half the rev range rather than the last quarter or less. ie the NC30 2nd gear hits power at 80kph, leaving a 20kph overlap bewteen that and second, whereas a 2stroke may only have 5kph of overlap - this allows the rider a lot more choice in gears, with more room for error and less time wasted changing gear (and then fucking it up)

obviously having a bigger motor/moar torques/moar power/wider band gives a bit more choice/freedom in gearing, as the gears must always overlap slightly and ensure there isn't a major power gap between gears - eg 2 strokes must be in the right gear for a given speed to have power due to narrow band with little overlap between gears - middle of 3rd is not bottom of 4th

manufacturers have to find the balance between comfort, economy, emissions and performance (and then specify the sort of performance). as such, they will never get it 100% right 100% of the time, but will be pretty bloody close. a good example of this is the first YZf and WR bieks from yamaha - the only difference was the WR had road kit and electric start, and then taller gears. slightly de-tuned engine too. infact, the only mechanical diffence between many sprotsbikes and their touring/naked equivalent is mostly just a slightly detuned motor for more accessible power and different gearing. eg yzfr1 -> fazer , cbr1000rrrrrr -> cb1000r etc etc

based on experience and uni work on the matter - corrections welcome

motorbyclist
4th November 2008, 18:02
and yes, writing that out twice cause KB went down for 5 minutes was way better than studying for my thermofluids exam

shingo
4th November 2008, 19:20
seriously man thta jade is nice to ride lol...

Who you boring the jade off? What's happening with your bike?

NOMIS
4th November 2008, 21:47
Who you boring the jade off? What's happening with your bike?

wild west given to me nice little bike recommend it to any one. mines getting some stuff done finallly got the rest of my bits ect, carbs and yeh

Jeaves
4th November 2008, 21:57
Yui , ive got castrol brake fluid,motul fork oil and a can of motul chain lube. Come get some when ya free.

BANZAI
4th November 2008, 22:34
Last time I saw the chain it looked fine. As long as you lube it every couple of tanks of gas it'll last for quite a while longer.

If you're going up a tooth on the front, you'll have even less `comfy motorway speed', it'll be slower to get there as it's producing less power at lower rpm.

It's always good to clean around that front sprocket bit (it gets filthy! Worst job), but I doubt that it's causing you a drop in gas mileage :D

Get your own bloody clipons :laugh:

LOL will have a look at that wrecker in north shore then :p

I am adding tooth up on front aren't I?

Indeed... Now I hardly use 6th gear anymore...

Hmm but it IS very common custom for Volty(exactly same as GN. Same gearing, same HP, same torque) in Japan. And seems like it is satisfys most user over there even tho they require more accerelation and less top speed than NZ roads...(I think I said this in GN thread as well)

Yui , ive got castrol brake fluid,motul fork oil and a can of motul chain lube. Come get some when ya free.

Will? Man you shoulds have told me earlier XD

Ok next time! :)

Has brake fluid opend?

BANZAI
5th November 2008, 00:09
Ah I think Twinkle have one tooth up in front and he can ride faster than most of us!!!!!:headbang:

xwhatsit
5th November 2008, 00:22
Yui -- if I make it to the fireworks (we'll see, I have an exam at 2pm, should probably go to bed soon), I'll bring some brake fluid. I have two containers, a big one, which I opened a long time ago (brake fluid goes off after it's been opened, absorbs moisture and heats up too quickly), which I just use for cleaning brake system parts. When I actually want to use brake fluid in the braking system, I buy a tiny container and use it all in one go.

I just bought a small container recently, only used a little bit. This was about a week ago, hardly got exposed to air at all, so it's probably better than some ancient bottle.

Anyway that was a lot of crap I wrote about nothing when I should be reading about SOAP and CORBA @_@

klyong82
5th November 2008, 08:12
I am adding tooth up on front aren't I?

It should be dropping the front by 1 or 2 tooth down to improve acceleration....the rear is adding I think.

BANZAI
5th November 2008, 08:16
It should be dropping the front by 1 or 2 tooth down to improve acceleration....the rear is adding I think.

No! I don't need "acceleration". I need confy crusing speed. So more top speed, not acceleration!!!

Slyer
5th November 2008, 08:19
I think what you really need is MOAR POWER!

Ragingrob
5th November 2008, 08:23
Didn't you find the ride the other day a comfy cruise easily at ~110kph? Well that's all ya need :niceone:

Oh, and just get a diff bike rather than trying to wring out your current one!

BANZAI
5th November 2008, 08:45
Didn't you find the ride the other day a comfy cruise easily at ~110kph? Well that's all ya need :niceone:

Oh, and just get a diff bike rather than trying to wring out your current one!
Theres heaps of Vivration at 110 or over so I just wanna reduce it a bit...
If I'm riding that's ok, but if I'm sitting on motorway commuting at those speeds...

It won't cost me much and it probly need new chain anyway!

Ragingrob
5th November 2008, 08:49
If I'm riding that's ok, but if I'm sitting on motorway commuting at those speeds...

$220 or so yeah? Hmmm wonder how much your bike would sell for. Over 2 grand easy surely? Then add $220 and ya never know what ya might get!

BANZAI
5th November 2008, 08:53
$220 or so yeah? Hmmm wonder how much your bike would sell for. Over 2 grand easy surely? Then add $220 and ya never know what ya might get!

Unfortunately it's gonna be sold to el presidente for what I get and it will become a SMC bike XD

PirateJafa
5th November 2008, 08:54
You're looking at the same cost for a new chain and sprockets as a pocketrocket.

Ragingrob
5th November 2008, 08:54
Unfortunately it's gonna be sold to el presidente for what I get and it will become a SMC bike XD

Oh real? When's that? You're heading back overseas?

xwhatsit
5th November 2008, 09:05
O-ring chain (no point bothering with something else these days unless you're superbly anal about maintenance, or have a Scott oiler or similar) will run about $120+. Given that there's nothing really wrong with yours...?

That said, if you're going to be changing sprockets, you should change the chain too. If I were you, I'd just swap the front sprocket to change the gearing and be done with it, don't touch the other stuff.

BANZAI
5th November 2008, 09:15
O-ring chain (no point bothering with something else these days unless you're superbly anal about maintenance, or have a Scott oiler or similar) will run about $120+. Given that there's nothing really wrong with yours...?

That said, if you're going to be changing sprockets, you should change the chain too. If I were you, I'd just swap the front sprocket to change the gearing and be done with it, don't touch the other stuff.

Hmmmm I could do that... about $20? Front should be cheaper right?

And Rob, yea sometime beginning of next year.

Ragingrob
5th November 2008, 09:17
And just give the chain a bloody good clean. Grab some kerosene and a toothbrush and get into it, will get a lot of surface rust and dirt off! Then do your normal WD40 and rag clean, then lube it. Voila!

Unless it does actually have hardout tight spots? But tending to the chain every thousand k's or so should keep it in decent shape.

xwhatsit
5th November 2008, 09:28
And just give the chain a bloody good clean. Grab some kerosene and a toothbrush and get into it, will get a lot of surface rust and dirt off! Then do your normal WD40 and rag clean, then lube it. Voila!

Unless it does actually have hardout tight spots? But tending to the chain every thousand k's or so should keep it in decent shape.
Hell no. Every couple of tanks of gas, otherwise you're throwing away money on chains (w.r.t. chain lube). Unless you have a long-range 5-gallon Norton Manx tank of course :sunny:

Yeah I think front sprockets are only $20 or so, the last time I bought one. Rear sprocket mebbe $70+. Given the cheapness of the front sprocket, buy it, then use it until the rear sprocket and chain wear out, then do the whole lot. By then you'll know what gearing you prefer as well.

Ragingrob
5th November 2008, 09:33
Hell no. Every couple of tanks of gas, otherwise you're throwing away money on chains (w.r.t. chain lube). Unless you have a long-range 5-gallon Norton Manx tank of course :sunny:

Yeah I think front sprockets are only $20 or so, the last time I bought one. Rear sprocket mebbe $70+. Given the cheapness of the front sprocket, buy it, then use it until the rear sprocket and chain wear out, then do the whole lot. By then you'll know what gearing you prefer as well.

Every two tanks of gas?? Jeeez you must have a lot of spare time :p I don't think I could bother doing my chain every 4 days! Seems to be still decently clean and lubed up after 4 tanks ~1000km which is when I do it. Once a week is enough for me haha ;)

BANZAI
5th November 2008, 09:40

I'm getting rear one free from Twinkle :D

But yea gonna try just the front then :)

Every two tanks of gas?? Jeeez you must have a lot of spare time :p I don't think I could bother doing my chain every 4 days! Seems to be still decently clean and lubed up after 4 tanks ~1000km which is when I do it. Once a week is enough for me haha ;)

I do it every so often too. We have things called Centre Stand which makes it easy to do chain lubing :p

xwhatsit
5th November 2008, 09:45
I do it every so often too. We have things called Centre Stand which makes it easy to do chain lubing :p
About two minutes or less, seriously. Cleaning is a different story, every four tanks is enough.

klyong82
5th November 2008, 11:21
I clean mine almost every weekend...toothbrush kerosene till it is sparkling...maxima chain lube...presto....she is pretty again!!

NOMIS
5th November 2008, 11:49
I clean mine almost every weekend...toothbrush kerosene till it is sparkling...maxima chain lube...presto....she is pretty again!!

Mineral terps and a paint brush.. only when it gets dirty lol. ive run out of chain lubne but not riding my bike atm so no probs :-)

BANZAI
5th November 2008, 13:00
Thanks for the chain lube Kim. Bling awarded :niceone:

klyong82
5th November 2008, 13:12
Thanks for the chain lube Kim. Bling awarded :niceone:

No worries. I'll go back to try find that straw haha....

bomma
5th November 2008, 14:45

ditto on the clean.....except i use a rag....ive got three oil covered shirts and am currently using a ripped up ol towel....all sitting in my garage next to where i park the bike :laugh:

motorbyclist
5th November 2008, 15:00

your bike is a single cylinder 250 - it is going to vibrate whether you like it or not.

front sprocket is about $20

and yes, if you are gearing it up, so lower revs at high speed, you need to gain a tooth on the front, or drop one from the rear. still wont help fuel economy

one tooth on the front will make a much more noticable difference than one on the back - i would strongly recommend only doing one tooth at a time!

unless of course, you do the maths to quantify what the change will be

BANZAI
6th November 2008, 00:00
your bike is a single cylinder 250 - it is going to vibrate whether you like it or not.

front sprocket is about $20

and yes, if you are gearing it up, so lower revs at high speed, you need to gain a tooth on the front, or drop one from the rear. still wont help fuel economy

one tooth on the front will make a much more noticable difference than one on the back - i would strongly recommend only doing one tooth at a time!

unless of course, you do the maths to quantify what the change will be

It should be fine, it has been proven by many many MANY Japanese Volty owners. I think one of them worked out maths way before us.

motorbyclist
6th November 2008, 00:59
worked out the maths for what he specifically wanted...

bah, why don't we just chuck on a turbo ad be done with it already?!

BANZAI
6th November 2008, 11:00
worked out the maths for what he specifically wanted...

bah, why don't we just chuck on a turbo ad be done with it already?!

Yea can we? Very tiny turbo will do. I'm happy with 5bhp gain :p

EDIT:Then I would call it G-Nax! It's got GN booost and do 0-100 in the speed of light! :rofl:

motorbyclist
6th November 2008, 11:59
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Performance/Turbos/auction-186062012.htm

do you have ANY idea how much work this would be? and a super is going to be waaay easier than a turbo!

BANZAI
6th November 2008, 12:14
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Performance/Turbos/auction-186062012.htm

do you have ANY idea how much work this would be? and a super is going to be waaay easier than a turbo!

Woot! Supercharger!!! Hmm maybe it's gona be my project when I goto oz Supercharged/Turbocharged GN :p

Slyer
6th November 2008, 12:40
Did you see that pimp my ride episode where they put nos on a car that could barely go 100kph?
Iiiiiiiiidiots

EJK
6th November 2008, 12:42
Yea can we? Very tiny turbo will do. I'm happy with 5bhp gain :p

EDIT:Then I would call it G-Nax! It's got GN booost and do 0-100 in the speed of light! :rofl:

:laugh: A Full G-Boost Model :laugh:

xwhatsit
6th November 2008, 13:22
Fuck a duck, I forgot to bring that brake fluid last night. I'll bring it to our exam tomorrow.

BANZAI
6th November 2008, 13:43
Fuck a duck, I forgot to bring that brake fluid last night. I'll bring it to our exam tomorrow.

Are you free afterwards to change it as well XD

I'm free till 1:30pm or free after 3pm.

BANZAI
8th November 2008, 15:09
Thanks for Tom and Will for thier Brake Fluids and Fork oil!!! :first: