PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of lube...

bomma
4th November 2008, 13:56
from the time that i had my bike for sale, the lack of usage led to some surface rust to develop. i took it into wild west and got told that it's alright and wont do no harm. however, it looks shit and im worried that it will promote corrosion which is obviously something i dont want.

when exams finish i plan to take to the chain with rust remover.

i was wondering if it would be alright to chuck some crc on the chain once i have cleaned and lubed it??

would it be effective?? any thoughts??

nosebleed
4th November 2008, 14:19
...i was wondering if it would be alright to chuck some crc on the chain once i have cleaned and lubed it??

would it be effective?? any thoughts??

Why?
After you've cleaned it...Lube it...and be done.

Squirting CRC (556) on your chain will act as a degreaser and will only break down the lube again.

vifferman
4th November 2008, 14:20
Don't bother to use rust remover on the chain. As far as CRC, yes, it's OK, but WD40 is more betterer (CRC has almost no lubing properties).
You've got it back to front: clean it with kero (or WD40), then after it's dried, lube it with chain wax or similar.

klyong82
4th November 2008, 15:06
I seem to remember if the rust aint too bad after using kerosene to clean it the surface rust will come out with it. Bad Bomma you should have sold me the bike for 500 bucks...

bomma
4th November 2008, 15:51
Why?
After you've cleaned it...Lube it...and be done.

Squirting CRC (556) on your chain will act as a degreaser and will only break down the lube again.

oh ok i didnt know that crc would do that, i use one of the crc's to keep rust from developing on the paint chips on the tank so thought it would be effective on the chain for the same purpose

Don't bother to use rust remover on the chain. As far as CRC, yes, it's OK, but WD40 is more betterer (CRC has almost no lubing properties).
You've got it back to front: clean it with kero (or WD40), then after it's dried, lube it with chain wax or similar.

errr communication breakdown mayhaps?? i meant crc to protect the chain from rust post cleaning and lubing, not for cleaning....i use kerosene to clean chain and then lube it, which gets rid of most of it but due to moisture it keeps coming back which scares me a lil.....

I seem to remember if the rust aint too bad after using kerosene to clean it the surface rust will come out with it. Bad Bomma you should have sold me the bike for 500 bucks...

as above, majority of rust goes with clean but does come back over time so wanted to get rid of it just incase.....mate, we had a deal remember....seems to me you didnt uphold your end :spanking:

xwhatsit
4th November 2008, 16:10
Yeah I was looking at your bike the other day, saw that little bit on the upper fork stanchions (in the middle of the fork yokes, so not at all an issue apart from cosmetics), thought it odd considering it's so new. You park it outside or something?

bomma
4th November 2008, 16:14
Yeah I was looking at your bike the other day, saw that little bit on the upper fork stanchions (in the middle of the fork yokes, so not at all an issue apart from cosmetics), thought it odd considering it's so new. You park it outside or something?

nah my dad often feels the urge to wash the bike and normally tells me and i go out and lube it......when it was up for sale he thought it wise to wash it but forgot to mention it to me and since it wasnt getting much use at the time i didnt really think it needed a lubing.....suffice to say that leaving the chain wet overnight without lube wasnt the smartest thing for it.....:doh:

Macstar
4th November 2008, 16:20
Your chain is not the only thing going rusty from what Klyong tells me

bomma
4th November 2008, 16:41
Your chain is not the only thing going rusty from what Klyong tells me

dont hear from ya in aaages, first comment in kb since god knows how long and you stir shit aye <_<

lol well will do a coro loop (not a coro poop) in the upcoming weeks and with the proceeds from an ACTUAL job (that i am yet to secure) i will be able to afford to go on a few more rides :sunny:

so you still coming to the barbie after said coro loop??:wari: (not coro poop)

Hanne
4th November 2008, 17:00
Stephen's gargre has been donated various cleaners and lubes, WD40, silicon spray, Chain lube, and power steering fluid :confused: So theres some sitting there for members to use (Banzai, that doesn't mean you can come coat your entire bike in it!!!)

We use WD40 to clean, then if possible warm the chain up a tad then lube as usual

motorbyclist
4th November 2008, 18:21
crc (556) is not a lubricant any more than water is

it isn't even a proper oil (full of other stuff like tolueune to give it it's specific properties)

it is a good water dispersant and is good at 'penetrating' - ie gettig into locked threads and lubricating them (by wetting). it is also good at thinning other oils. penetrating and thinning is not what we want on a chain, which relies on sealing oil within.

so on a chain we use wd40 in preference, it is actually proper oil and won't act to thin and remove the other oils, while still displacing the water that causes it to rust.

if i bother to clean with kero, i go straight on and lube it once it's all dry, and make sure the lube 'runs in' to all the links/rollers before leaving it all to simply drop off.

dont use an engine degreaser whatever you do!