PDA

View Full Version : Help!

fliu048
11th November 2008, 21:32
Hey boys & gals, new to the club :Punk:

My ride is a 2003 honda vtr 250, I took it to Mt. eden motorcycles to pass the wof when the unexpected happened:no::no::no:....
the guys there said that my steering bearings are dead, & that's because I pulled too many wheelies...
Just to clearfy, I am a beginer and all my wheelies are done in my sleep on my imaginary R6 :love:
and the guy sold me the bike had a 1098 + a cbr race bike.. still dont understand why he'd be interested in pulling a wheelie on my poor little vtr..

ANYWAY, so my steering bearings are gone, it would cost me about $200 to replace them in shop, I was just wondering if anyone here has the tools and skills to fix steering bearings.. I'll be so thankful if someone can lend me a hand, so I can save 200 bucks and have some DIY fun

Thanks guys, best of luck to those who havent finised their exams

PirateJafa
11th November 2008, 21:39
I seem to recall a certain member fixed pretty much the same problem on a certain westie's VTR250 what? A week ago? Less even?

Throw Squiggles a line and see if he'll help ya. :)

hayd3n
11th November 2008, 21:46
200 bucks is worth it m8 the front end is kinda important

Patar
11th November 2008, 21:47
Steering head bearings should in no way cost $200 to fix.
I've got the link to a site with vtr 250 parts and iirc steering head bearings are ~$30 meaning anything more is labour and I can't imagine it taking 3+ hours.
http://shop.wemoto.com/index.dyn?oid=5770978

ok the headrace bearings are $27 from there + the exchange and still shouldn't be that difficult.

PM me if you want the workshop manual for the vtr

shingo
11th November 2008, 22:05
Do as jafa said and pm Squiggles.

I know he has some bearing numbers that will come in handy, and if i remember correctly they should set you back about 70-80 bucks for both.

motorbyclist
11th November 2008, 22:51
yeah squiggles just did phurrball's last week

drop him a line and be prepared to get your hands dirty ;)

plus he can point out everything else that's been buggered on the bike :p

Squiggles
12th November 2008, 07:05
May not even be $70 now (thats the price of the all balls kits on trademe), as i've got the part numbers for the tapered roller ones the all balls kits use, can possibly get them cheaper.

I'd expect it'll cost more than 200 at the shop, as can be fairly labour intensive (alot of stuff to remove and refit to get the steering stem out, that said, Since you cant pm (new members cant guys!) flick me a txt 0212685528 and we'll be able to sort something out

Squiggles
12th November 2008, 07:08
ok the headrace bearings are $27 from there + the exchange and still shouldn't be that difficult.

PM me if you want the workshop manual for the vtr

All prices are in Pounds Sterling (GBP)
and include VAT at 17.5% where applicable.
(Deducted for Non EU residents & businesses at checkout)

I'd be keen to grab the manual for a squizz though

klyong82
12th November 2008, 07:57
Quite a bit of work to do the steering heads usually all the rings/seals cost from $60 plus 2 hours worth of labour. How many k's has your bike done fliu? and how does not steering feel? If the bike has been pulling plenty of wheelies check the front fork dust seals to see if it is still in good order no leaks etc...

Slyer
12th November 2008, 08:06
This is what I call service^^
I'll help

Blakomen
12th November 2008, 08:46
squiggles to the rescue again! :D

man set up your own workshop you can run everyone else out of business, who needs a degree ;)

Patar
12th November 2008, 08:51
When you guys find out the price for this, can you chuck me a pm as I may be up to have mine replaced aswell ^_^

Slyer
12th November 2008, 08:53
He wouldn't make any money off us. :bleh:

motorbyclist
12th November 2008, 13:54
He wouldn't make any money off us. :bleh:

he wouldn't make money off anyone if he continues to rebuild single cylinder top-ends in just 20 minutes

Phurrball
13th November 2008, 07:47
Here's the relevant pages from the PDF workshop manual I have.

fliu048
13th November 2008, 23:48
Thanks guys for helping. I've bought a head bearing kit from the shop (it costs 72 bucks) and Steve has kindly offered his help, just need to wait till I get back from Gisborne and him to have time then we'll get our hands dirty!! looking forward to that:yeah: