PDA

View Full Version : Muriwai ride - register of interest

motorbyclist
13th November 2008, 22:48
Proper ride thread here
(http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=1870673#post1870673)

Who would seriously come for a ride up muriwai beach?

This is just a register of interest to see if it is worth organising.

Remember it is salty, gritty, somewhat dangerous (mind you there isn't any cheesecutters, blind corners or poles) and the tides can always surprise you.

Dirtbikes welcome - I will be using one myself.

A farm quad/4WD would be good to carry petrol, or maybe a bike with a pack rack will do. most small bikes will only last 2 or 3 hours tops to a tank, and while we should be ok, I dont think the AA will go to the south head while the tide is coming in.

EJK
13th November 2008, 22:52
It's my idea noob :rolleyes:

Ixion
13th November 2008, 22:56
I'd be a starter. It's a good ride. Just ahve to work it in with the tide. Make sure there are plenty of ropes in case someone breaks down.

Once upon a time, if you asked nicely the Forestry people would let you ride up Inland Road and then cross the dunes highish up, which saved a long tedious haul up the beach dodging brats.I doubt they would be so accomodating nowadays

Would you go onto the beach at the Muriwai end , which is then a long ride up the sand, or try to get over the dunes at the Woodhill bike place (which is a fairly ambitious task if you don't have sand paddles fitted.) and more important, how to get off again.

jrandom
13th November 2008, 23:01
Just go on at the Muriwai end au, it's not that far up to the good bits from there when you're doing the ton all the way.

:D

Ixion
13th November 2008, 23:10
You're taking Betty ?

Squiggles
13th November 2008, 23:13
I'd probably be in

edit: The sidecar has knobblies... and can carry fuel... lol!

Ixion
13th November 2008, 23:18
Do remember that it is legally a road. So vehicles must have rego and wof and such like shit. Oh and riders must have licences, Jrandom you'll have to loan Betty to Jody. Or Jody to Betty whichever way round it is, I lose track of which one you ride and which one you polish.

motorbyclist
14th November 2008, 00:12
I'd be a starter. It's a good ride. Just ahve to work it in with the tide. Make sure there are plenty of ropes in case someone breaks down.

haha yeah been caught out on both counts - tide isn't so bad with dirtbikes but i suspect road bikes don't have the luxury of riding up the dunes and into the forest over all the bike traps

Once upon a time, if you asked nicely the Forestry people would let you ride up Inland Road and then cross the dunes highish up, which saved a long tedious haul up the beach dodging brats.I doubt they would be so accomodating nowadays

Would you go onto the beach at the Muriwai end , which is then a long ride up the sand, or try to get over the dunes at the Woodhill bike place (which is a fairly ambitious task if you don't have sand paddles fitted.) and more important, how to get off again.

the woodhill bike park has been under new ownership for a year now. changed sponsors from honda to kawasaki and now call it the sandpit or something. talking to the new owners/operators back before they moved the carpark they were saying they planned to close the beach entrance where the old bike park carpark was. then uni started and i havn't been back since :(

so was planning on maybe riding the whole way, but if a suitable beach entrance is available north of the town that would probably be a good thing

Do remember that it is legally a road. So vehicles must have rego and wof and such like shit. Oh and riders must have licences.

cops don't care

when i had my accident on muriwai beach my motox bike was never (and will never be) road registered, and i was technically riding outside my licence conditions (400cc), and the police didn't seem too concerned when i filed the report due to injury (ambo called in) and the cager responsible giving false details (despite having his number plate and a ride in his 4wd back to the bike park)

Squiggles
14th November 2008, 00:17
cops don't care

when i had my accident on muriwai beach my motox bike was never (and will never be) road registered, and i was technically riding outside my licence conditions (400cc), and the police didn't seem too concerned when i filed the report due to injury (ambo called in) and the cager responsible giving false details (despite having his number plate and a ride in his 4wd back to the bike park)

Have to still be cautious, times have changed and accidents have happened since then. Plus that ginge dude all the speedsters on 16 hang out with, he might be an avid surfer :pinch:

motorbyclist
14th November 2008, 01:14
yeah well we won't be hanging around the beach-goers long, if we see them at all

BANZAI
14th November 2008, 06:32
To Muriwai is about 50kms isn't it? Then I still have 150kms of gas left in tank. Still need to carry my petrol tank???

Slyer
14th November 2008, 07:34
Keen!
Is it safe for sports bikes?

NOMIS
14th November 2008, 07:51
Keen!

lmao.... errrr I wouldnt think so. like to see you do it though

Crisis management
14th November 2008, 08:03
Muriwai is a good ride for road registered and wof'ed bikes, it is a road, I use it and don't appreciate the fuckwits that hoon around on unregsitered bikes pissing all the other users off. Beaches around Whangarei have just had there speed limit cut to 30km/h as a result of vehicular abuse, I don't want that down here.

Not so subtle message guys, it's a great place to go but do it legally please....

The Muriwai entrance to the beach is flat and soft sand any bike with semi knobs will get on there, the beach is hard packed near the tide line and easily ridden on, the Rimmers road exit (by the bike park) is open (it is a legal road) but is steep and again soft sand. You can get any bike thru either of these places just be prepared to help each other.

Oh, and watch out for fishing lines....you will know when you meet one!

TOTO
14th November 2008, 08:37
where is the "i'm not gonna come on the sand but will come to watch" option ?

Slyer
14th November 2008, 08:39
The GPX can handle a little sand!
I think. :bleh:

I've got no idea what it'd be like...

HungusMaximist
14th November 2008, 09:44
Hey Andrew, I'd been keen to have a ride on your dirt bike if you bring em down aye. Chur!

motorbyclist
14th November 2008, 11:04
Keen!

lmao.... errrr I wouldnt think so. like to see you do it though

the gpx is hardly a sportsbike :bleh:

whatever bike it is it will need cleaning. do that and don't crash and the only other damage will be sandblasting the fairing behind the front wheel

emphasis on the not crashing.

Muriwai is a good ride for road registered and wof'ed bikes, it is a road, I use it and don't appreciate the fuckwits that hoon around on unregsitered bikes pissing all the other users off. Beaches around Whangarei have just had there speed limit cut to 30km/h as a result of vehicular abuse, I don't want that down here.

Not so subtle message guys, it's a great place to go but do it legally please....

i have no intention of 'pissing other users off' but every intention of using the most suitable machine for the ride - if i do want to be a wanker making noise i pick a quiet spot one or two km north of the bike park entrance, where i've always hit the beach from - only been to the south end of muriwai once and that was to get medical aid (yay for kite fishing lines set up north of the bike park with the reel next to the wheel of the 4wd, which is parked up on the dry sand - ie if we didn't hit it a cage likely would have)

same for 90 mile beach - went a fair while north before fucking around

The Muriwai entrance to the beach is flat and soft sand any bike with semi knobs will get on there, the beach is hard packed near the tide line and easily ridden on, the Rimmers road exit (by the bike park) is open (it is a legal road) but is steep and again soft sand. You can get any bike thru either of these places just be prepared to help each other.

cheers for that info

is the rimmers road entrance still all whooped up from bikes? i suspect a road bike would suffer a bit with little ground clearance and suspension travel...

Oh, and watch out for fishing lines....you will know when you meet one!

been there, done that. fucking horrible day seeing my mate's neck cut open like that.

and while in surgery some fucker stole his bike from our van parked in the hospital carpark

Hey Andrew, I'd been keen to have a ride on your dirt bike if you bring em down aye. Chur!

i'm sure everyone over 6 foot tall would:niceone:

Slyer
14th November 2008, 11:11
Wait is this in gisbourne?

Morcs
14th November 2008, 11:39
I was out rimmers road on the weekend checking it out.

my DRZ would be sweet, but hell im not getting that horrible sand shit anywhere near my bike :shifty:

Slyer
14th November 2008, 11:44
Ohh right, there's a Muriwai in gisbourne too.

Crisis management
14th November 2008, 11:59
is the rimmers road entrance still all whooped up from bikes?

Usually it is a bit whooped but the sides of the "road" are generally flattish, as I said, get people to help each other through those bits and you should be ok. If I can put 200kgs of KTM thru there then any smaller bike should be easy, it's more about rear wheel traction & momentum than anything else going up there.

Pick your time if some of your bikes aren't legal as the plods are policing those issues, obviously more on weekends & public holidays...

twinkle
14th November 2008, 15:10
or try to get over the dunes at the Woodhill bike place (which is a fairly ambitious task if you don't have sand paddles fitted.) and more important, how to get off again.

Yeah, been there :laugh: had to walk the rest of the way to the beach.

Ixion
14th November 2008, 15:12
From memory the beach side slope (which you have to get up to go off the beach that way) is even steeper.

twinkle
14th November 2008, 15:16
It is, I'm glad I didn't make it all the way over :sweatdrop I think I could have pushed it back but it might have taken a while...

Magua
14th November 2008, 15:35
whatever bike it is it will need cleaning. do that and don't crash and the only other damage will be sandblasting the fairing behind the front wheel

Fairing? :mellow: I'd be sandblasting my frame and engine.

musicman
14th November 2008, 23:17
Oh so NOW people wanna ride on the beach, AFTER I sold my GX125 (which I took up 90 mile beach and Te Paki Stream, that was FUN!! :D)

Gremlin
14th November 2008, 23:33
was just up rimmers road last weekend. Entrance to beach from the sandpit end looks like twinkles pic, not the other, but f'ing good luck to anything but a dirt bike.

200kg of ktm dug right into the soft sand, just exiting the forest towards the beach. No traction without knobblies either.

motorbyclist
15th November 2008, 10:54
ok guys, this may not be happening until after the new year

gives me a good time period to rebuild the bike, and jafa to recover from surgery, and lets us better pick a day where the tides work for us

Badger8
15th November 2008, 13:09
Keen as a bean, been wantin to go for a blat down the actual beach for a while. Room on the back of the Ute-a-saurus-rex (that's the ute for the un-educated :bleh:) for one more dirtbike if needed (comin from south central).
There is signs and warnings all over the sandpit park that there is no beach access, and they get very angry with people constantly cuttin through their fences etc. Not that you really need beach access if you're riding at the sandpit, some of the trails are deeper sand than the beach in places!

motorbyclist
1st January 2009, 12:25
proper ride thread here (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=1870673#post1870673)