PDA

View Full Version : Insurance

Jahdafario
20th November 2008, 15:32
Hey, what kind of insurance has everyone got, who are they with, what is their premium and how much is their excess? Is it full cover/thrid party etc..

Have you had a claim? -- Were they cunts about it.. etc.. etc.

Cheers boss

Slyer
20th November 2008, 15:33
AMI 3rd party, $70ish a year

vifferman
20th November 2008, 15:35
Have you tried searching Kiwi Biker for this info?
It might surprise you, but you're not the first KBer to want to know this sort of thing. :rolleyes:

Slyer
20th November 2008, 15:46
Logic?
*Esplodes*

portokiwi
20th November 2008, 16:06
I was just quoted $400 a year full cover. Protector that who insures my cage. My current I wouldnt have a clue:laugh: Gabby pays it
All I know thats full cover as well.

klyong82
20th November 2008, 17:40
500 bucks for my Fireblade from kiwibike. Full insurance including free emergency. Give Dave a call. Not made a claim and I dont intend to but from all the reviews and feedbacks you cannot go wrong.

edit: excess $250

bomma
20th November 2008, 18:23
hey sorri i didnt reply before cuz but i only just saw your text, was at cricket practice and only just got home.

i pay far too much for insurance and my excess is faaar too high but having had 2 claims in the last 5 years (both my fault) has skewed this :weep:

Mom
20th November 2008, 18:27
Only one comment to make here.

You guys are young and have the "under 25" stigma to get past. Please make sure at the very least you all have 3rd party insurance on your vehicles!

Even your bank will give you that, it is not expensive looking at the big picture, it is a must have!

Gremlin
20th November 2008, 22:43
Well, I AM 25... doesn't look like this stigma will go away :oi-grr:

$1200 a year I think, fully insured, but around 24-25k, value bumps it up a lot. 1 Year history, no claims, excess is around $500, but I have a "special" excess as well, having carelessly misplaced my license once :whistle:

Jahdafario
20th November 2008, 23:52
Have you tried searching Kiwi Biker for this info?
It might surprise you, but you're not the first KBer to want to know this sort of thing. :rolleyes:

I tried searching insurance, but it came up with a lot of garbage, maybe I didn't look hard enough,

good responses, I like the closer to $500 premiums by the sounds of things, thats what I feel like paying anyway, not a grand,

been quoted a grand by many people, state was the worst at 1150, with 500 or 800 excess, steep, that was full cover for 12.5k,

I'm looking along the lines of Dave at KB thanks Kim,

cheers all, I'll post whatever deal I get with whoever up here if I can remember ;)

no worries Nish, I'll try make it 2moro, :s, I came down with shakee knees because I still don't have insurance, yeah you heard it!

not good huh....... :Oops:

cynna
21st November 2008, 02:30
gave up on insuring my harley when i had it when swann almost doubled my premium for no reason a few years ago. wasnt too keen on the $2500 theft excess either

wasnt worth the $ insuring my trailbike

the best quote i got for my $7000 motard was just over $500. decided it wasnt worth it due to the fact that if i crash it there isnt much too to fix (unless i write it off of course)

got a quote for the vmax im hoping to buy - $2100 and thats with 60% no claims bonus!!!! i think third party was less then $50. they wouldnt do insurance for just theft or if some fuckwit crashed into me which is just really what im after

i believe in complusary 3rd party insurance tho after the weekend when my boarder crashed her car in to a back of a bmw which shunted the car in front.... she had no insurance so is looking at quite a big bill. if the other drivers didnt have insurance they would probalby only get a few $$ off her a week for the next few years....

klyong82
21st November 2008, 07:08
I tried searching insurance, but it came up with a lot of garbage, maybe I didn't look hard enough,

good responses, I like the closer to $500 premiums by the sounds of things, thats what I feel like paying anyway, not a grand,

been quoted a grand by many people, state was the worst at 1150, with 500 or 800 excess, steep, that was full cover for 12.5k,

I'm looking along the lines of Dave at KB thanks Kim,

cheers all, I'll post whatever deal I get with whoever up here if I can remember ;)

no worries Nish, I'll try make it 2moro, :s, I came down with shakee knees because I still don't have insurance, yeah you heard it!

not good huh....... :Oops:

Just give Dave or Donna a ring at 0800 629 253 and he will be able to give you a quote. You can then decide to insure the bike on the spot over the phone. When I bought my Fireblade and picked it up at a late time of the day Donna was able to sort all the paper work in 10 minutes before I rode the bike home.

Convenient and stressfree process all the way. Good price too because all the rest of the companies were quoting me $1000 bucks.

portokiwi
21st November 2008, 07:45
This is what I got today.
Thank you for your interest in receiving a quotation for motorcycle insurance with PROTECTA Insurance. Based on the information you have supplied the following will apply;

for full cover insurance with a 50% NCB plus an extra 10% named/restricted rider discount, your premium will be $475.00 (incl. GST).

Excesses are as follows:

Standard On Road Bikes - 20% of the sum insured - minimum $250, maximum $2,000

Off Road Bikes - 30% of the sum insured – minimum $250

Additional $250 for riders under 25 years

$250 for licences other than full NZ motorcycle

$500 for single vehicle accidents

All of our motorcycle policies also include AA Roadservice cover for road registered bikes at no additional cost. This service includes:

· Three free callouts per policy year

· Helmet Cover up to $500 in the event of an accident giving rise to a claim

Hope this helps

discotex
21st November 2008, 11:50
Just ring Dave and Donna at Kiwibike.

Cheapest/best quotes I've got (taking varying excesses into account and trackday cover etc).

I've not seen one bad thing about their claims here on KB yet have seen dozens of people singing their praises.

And they're lovely people to deal with who ride bikes themselves. Hell you could just call them for a chat about bikes if you were bored with KB haha.

bungbung
21st November 2008, 13:15
Well, I AM 25... doesn't look like this stigma will go away :oi-grr:

5 more years and a sex change will save you in the long run...

klyong82
21st November 2008, 23:19
Excesses are as follows:

Standard On Road Bikes - 20% of the sum insured - minimum $250, maximum $2,000

20% of the sum insured and max $2k? That sounds alot mate....mine is straight $250 excess and I pay a little more than you and includes road side assistants and track day cover (I am past 25 though).

Squiggles
21st November 2008, 23:30
20% of the sum insured and max $2k? That sounds alot mate....mine is straight $250 excess and I pay a little more than you and includes road side assistants and track day cover (I am past 25 though).

Bit of a screwball, if you're under 25, restricted license, and have a single vehicle accident for say, a 5g bike thats 250+250+500+1000=$2000 ... bit of a rip. Mines a straight 350, no matter what may happen...

Gremlin
21st November 2008, 23:33
Bit of a screwball, if you're under 25, restricted license, and have a single vehicle accident for say, a 5g bike thats 250+250+500+1000=$2000 ... bit of a rip.
Its Protecta... you'll be happy they have approved the claim, if you get that far :rolleyes:

PirateJafa
22nd November 2008, 09:28
I suppose I have no excuse now.

Zim_Invader
22nd November 2008, 10:08
hondasure (HRC) - done by vero
think the excess is 500 for me (becoz i'm under 25).
by bike is covered for $5000 worth,
$1000 fr gear,
and a few extra perks here and there (can't recall off the top of my head).

i pay 280 - is a year, so about 26 per month, for full comprehensive coverage!

check how much ross pays. he's with them too, and has a bit of a collection of bikes. i know they offer the deal so long as u have ONE honda. u still have your vtr right? see what they say, but this kiwibike deal isn't looking too bad either.

oh, another plus in my contract is that i'm covered for any1 to ride my bike - provided they are licensed! :woohoo:, and from what i was told that andrew told kyle (haha...ya a lot of tells there)... i'm insured to ride some1 elses bike within legality. (not fully sure bout this, but i'm thinking it may hold true)

klyong82
22nd November 2008, 10:15
.......and from what i was told that andrew told kyle (haha...ya a lot of tells there)... i'm insured to ride some1 elses bike within legality. (not fully sure bout this, but i'm thinking it may hold true)

They should put in their policy that you are only covered when you ride a Honda!!:clap:

Zim_Invader
22nd November 2008, 10:30
They should put in their policy that you are only covered when you ride a Honda!!:clap:

hahah.... would u even consider riding anything else (augusta's and ducatti's don't count!!! theyre the exceptions - ok, and mayb some kawasakis too)

motorbyclist
22nd November 2008, 12:24
yeah i think you have 3rd party to ride another bike

must check

with HRC myself, hondasure, which is done by Golightly, underwritten by Vero

he's a good guy and a rider himself

blardy cheap too - half the cheapest quotes i got elsewhere. can't remember the exact figured but it was bugger all

motorbyclist
24th November 2008, 13:20
found it!

As the policy covers any licensed rider, you could all ride the various bikes with the exception your younger brother as he is only licensed to ride up to 250cc. Our policy covers any licensed rider to ride your bikes, not just your dad and brother. With regards to other peoples bikes, we do not cover you to ride any bike as we are not the insurers of those bikes . In that situation, it depends on the insurance company of that particular bike.

Cover for the bikes would be....

RVF400 at $6000.......$327
VFR800 at $17000.....$760
CB250 at $5000........$280

Our policy has excesses as follows...

Bikes over $10,000, $500 if over 25 years, $800 if under 25 years
Bikes less than $10,000, $250 if over 25 years, $550 if under 25 years

good deal if i do say so myself

EJK
25th November 2008, 11:16
500 bucks for my Fireblade from kiwibike. Full insurance including free emergency. Give Dave a call. Not made a claim and I dont intend to but from all the reviews and feedbacks you cannot go wrong.

edit: excess $250

$420 annual for mine.

edit: $1000 excess

motorbyclist
25th November 2008, 11:44
$420 annual for mine.

edit: $1000 excess

a grand excess on an fxr?

on YOUR fxr?

what's the point mate? you'll be lucky to get a payout at all - i've learnt the hard way that 1 grand on a (apparently) $3700 vfr really ruins the whole thing

i'd suggest you shop around

portokiwi
25th November 2008, 12:08

:crazy:I am just a little past 25:scooter: mine is up now so I am looking for a good deal as well Do they have ones for slow riders past 25 years of age:innocent:

Rhubarb
25th November 2008, 12:13
I pay $36 per annum for 3rd party with AMI.

I have an old 80's bike and it's not worth paying for full cover. However, when I priced the insurance originally Dave at www.Kiwibike.co.nz was the best.

portokiwi
25th November 2008, 12:18
Just rang KiwiBike they are going to e.mail the qoute for both my 4WD and ZX9R if its good looks like I might just change:woohoo:

portokiwi
25th November 2008, 15:01
Just heard back from kiwi bike.
They are so much cheaper · Swann Insurance (Free Roadside Assist Included)

Full Comprehensive Cover

Annual Premium: $297

Monthly Premium: $27.50

Excess: $250
Then for my cage with protecta lol through them its Annual Premium: $516.35

Monthly Premium: $43.02

Excess: $400

$10 a month cheaper.:Punk:
Now I wonder who I am changing too:wari:

klyong82
25th November 2008, 17:10
Pretty good price mate....

EJK
25th November 2008, 21:24
a grand excess on an fxr?

on YOUR fxr?

what's the point mate? you'll be lucky to get a payout at all - i've learnt the hard way that 1 grand on a (apparently) $3700 vfr really ruins the whole thing

i'd suggest you shop around

My scorpio was $1000 excess too. 25% sum value + $250 my fault excess thing. It is close to $700...

portokiwi
26th November 2008, 07:23
:woohoo: Kiwi bike is the cheapest one with full cover. yes i have told them I will be changing to them. Full roadside too.

samgab
27th November 2008, 06:37
Well, I just got an FXR150, so I called AMI to get insurance:
For one year, all paid up in one go:
Full cover: $160-something, with $100 excess.
Third Party: $30-something, with $100 excess.

So I went for full cover, as it includes stuff like theft, vandalism, someone backing over my bike, etc.

The benefits of reaching 30!:laugh:

portokiwi
27th November 2008, 06:39
:2thumbsup Good one safest bet.

motorbyclist
27th November 2008, 13:04
got your house and contents with them too?

150cc probably helps too

ManDownUnder
27th November 2008, 13:10
AMI, Full cover market value, $300/year on a $4,000 bike (RF900). Quickly asessed, hassle free payout. $300 excess