PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic brake ban

CookMySock
21st November 2008, 08:50
WTF? We just been told no hydraulic brakes on the kart track. It seems the master cylinder is too vulnerable in a crash, and may smash open and drop hydraulic fluid on the track. :pinch:

That stinks. Now we gotta go back to crap bicycle-cable brakes. ugh.

Steve

BigAl
21st November 2008, 15:27
I presume you're talking about Edgecumbe DB.

The chances of rupturing your hydraulic brake reservoir would be really remote, so this rule sounds really picky to me.

Most of the other tracks also have super motards running which all have hyd brakes, so go figure.

CookMySock
21st November 2008, 15:38
Edgecumbe, yeah mate - its in the rule book. I've gone and bought the bloody brakes now, so I might see if they will exempt me if I amour the resevoir and put some absorbent material around it as well.

Steve

bully
21st November 2008, 15:50
iv seen before guys having sweat wrist bands around the resevior, some american tracks require it i think.

Leyton
21st November 2008, 16:49
There concerns might be not because of coming off and breaking it appart so much but just the cheap quility chinease stuff bursting all over the track.

CookMySock
21st November 2008, 19:06
iv seen before guys having sweat wrist bands around the resevior, some american tracks require it i think.Thanks bully, yeah maybe they will exempt them if we can find a solution.

There concerns might be not because of coming off and breaking it appart so much but just the cheap quility chinease stuff bursting all over the track.Well the whole sport is based around cheap chinese stuff, so ah well..

To be fair, almost all bikes have cable brakes. We found some hydraulics and we thought we'd give it a whack, so we are the odd one out, not them.

Steve

BigAl
21st November 2008, 20:18
My mate runs hyd brakes and at Mt Welly, Taum, Hawkes Bay & Palmerston there is no problem.

fwiw We've been down the road plenty & there is no way I can see them being damaged to the extent of leaking fluid.