PDA

View Full Version : B1 Rep water-cooled hard to start + Does not idle

Leyton
21st November 2008, 22:45
Hello

I am rather new to the B1 Replica's so I am not sure what to expect.

I find the bike quite hard to start, My method is simply, Choke down, pull pull pull till it fires, Takes about 4 pulls! quick ones.

Then 2 more pulls with the throttle wide open till it kicks into life.

Another interesting thing is..
It does not idle for more then 10seconds without cutting out suddenly, and the revs should be high enough, its sounds light they are at a suitable idle.

I have not had the privledge yet of seeing how this bike goes under load, or when it is fully warmed up.

The bike has done one season from new apperently so it should be fairly worn in by now :).

Is it normal for them to just cut out before they are warm ?

What is your method of starting ? (I will try it tomorrow)

Also, What Fuel mixture are you running ?, I want to lean it to 40:1 tomorrow with TTS to see if that helps.

Cheers in advance :)
Leyton

CookMySock
22nd November 2008, 05:32
That happens when the sparkplug gap is too wide. Just close it up a wee bit at a time until the bike runs perfect. Or if you are in a hurry like me just close it up heaps to start with. ;)

We run 100:1 no probs but thats on amsoil. Choke, one pull primes, next pull starts, choke off, perfect idle. Every time.

People who start my bikes lean over them ready to give that starter cord a five minute thrashin' and they are visibly shocked when it simply starts first pull, and sits there idling ting-ting-a-tinga-ting-ting, almost mocking them. :hug:

Amsoil. :love:

Steve

BigAl
22nd November 2008, 07:14
Hey Leyton,

Caution do not lean your bike out until you have run it long enough to see what colour the plug runs.
You should stick to running the B1 at 25 or 30:1 for now.
Most of the guys inc myself run our B1/B2s at 25:1 and certainly not anything like 100:1 as DB says. TTS is good.

I suspect your problem is fuel or air as it starts and then dies.
Make sure there is fuel in the fuel filter, remove pod air filter as these get blocked & need cleaning. With bike on stand, put choke on(ie lever in down pos), throttle closed and pull starter. Should fire after 1-4 pulls, as soon as fired up open throttle to release choke & should go. If it idles refit air filter and it may die suggesting filter is prob.

Also you could try a new NGK b7es set to 25thou.

Have a look through the older postings on this forum as there are other ideas as well.

If you still have probs, drop me a PM as I'm in Hamilton as well.

good luck.

Leyton
22nd November 2008, 08:27
them ready to give that starter cord a five minute thrashin'
Rofl

My plug is a NGK b7es :) Its colour is fowled brown :) Even after its cleaned up hehe, I think its time to lean it out a bit :) Perhaps not to 100:1 but to 35-40:1 tops!, I dont want to glue the piston to the bore yet :)

Good suggesion about the filter, I will pull it off when I am swapping over fuel today and inspect.

I will also decrease that plug gap. I dont have a feeler gauge so I will have to figure out some way of meaursing it :)

Hey thanks heaps guys ! :) Will let you know how I got on :), I will also religiously try the starting method of, choke, pull prime, pull pull till it starts then throttle to let choke off. Will get the bike running like that.

Leyton

CookMySock
22nd November 2008, 08:36
I dont have a feeler gauge so I will have to figure out some way of meaursing itdont worry too much about it bro, just tap it shut a bit and note the difference. If its ever hard to start, just close up a tad.

Hehe, yeah "100:1" always brings out howls of anguish and a big thumbs-down from the crowds. It's almost worth using it just for the troll value. :shifty:

edit: b7es is fine. I have used 6 up to a 9. The number is the electrode temperature - the larger the number, the hotter the electrode will run. If the plug is looking too dry/hot or looks melty at all, use a lower number plug. If the plug runs wet or darkly coloured, then use a higher number plug - ditto if the engine is hard to warm up. YMMV on that explanation - google it for the facts.

100:1 Steve

100:1, 100:1, 100:1, 100:1, 100:1, 100:1, 100:1, 100:1, 100:1 LOL

Leyton
22nd November 2008, 09:49
Hehe cheers for the plug information :) :)

I done a really evil thing :(, I started it with some engine starter MOAHAHAH, This was only to flush out the old fuel from everything :)

Then I put in some 40:1 tts, Running better :)

I also found that as I was draining the carb as it leaned out it idled much better!, I dont want it running lean, but that would suggest to me like perhaps its just fowling the plug, as in too rich. I will try the 40:1 mix for now and then if no joy, goto a hotter plug and keep and eye on the plug temp.

The filter I found was not blocked :)

Starting method with the choke was good, pull Idle Idle Idle STOP! hehe, it still does not want keep idling but...

I found that my idle screw was wound ALL the way in, so it suggests its perhaps a problem with this bike since day one. I cut the little spring down and wound it in a bit more :)

It idles for most of the time, but you still need to tweak the gas every known and again.

I think a having a longer idle screw should solve 1/10 of the problem.

Yeah next I will try the plug. But I now need to run it around the track to see how she goes before changing too much :)

Oh and yes, closing up the plug gap helped too. It had already been closed up, but I closed it up a bit more :)

Cheers for your help :) Am sure to see you at Mt Welly sometime. Last time I was there was 2 years ago with a D2 Rep air cooler.

CookMySock
22nd November 2008, 09:56
coolies. now go beat it to death on the track. :yes:

Whip that plug out after the first few hot laps and make sure its not too hot. Check you have cooling water flow (radiator inlet and engine temps similar.)

Steve

Leyton
22nd November 2008, 09:59
Beating them to death usally resolves most issues :) I will buy two more plugs :) a 7 and a 8 :) The 7 is to replace the one I have as a spare :P

Now I need to source some leathers :) I sold my last pair :/ I have everything else still :)

Cheers again
Leyton

BigAl
22nd November 2008, 10:04
Cool!

Just note with plugs higher no. is colder i.e. 8 is colder than 7. Go 6 if you want a hotter plug.

:done:

Leyton
22nd November 2008, 10:14
Cheers Al :) #6 & #7 it is :)

Gadgit
22nd November 2008, 12:02
Hi Leyton
Your bike has been running close to the front of the field most of the season on 40:1. I jetted the carb it's slightly rich because it loves to rev and starts to lean out at the top and is quick off the start to also but the rich bottom end is what the lack of idle is. You are round the same build as Nath so you will see when you get on the track it will haul you to the front of the pack fast even with the 8/68 gearing.

DELLORTO
22nd November 2008, 12:11
leyton do you have Aarons old bike??

Gadgit
22nd November 2008, 12:26
Nah he has Naht's B1 from team reapers Max. I see you have found a pic of Brett for your advta Max lol

BigAl
22nd November 2008, 14:59
Yeah Gadgit I noticed the avatar as well lol.

Is that ex Nathans bike std & running 8/68?

DELLORTO
22nd November 2008, 16:28
Nah he has Naht's B1 from team reapers Max. I see you have found a pic of Brett for your advta Max lol

its a cool pict :niceone:

motorbyclist
22nd November 2008, 20:19
I find the bike quite hard to start, My method is simply, Choke down, pull pull pull till it fires, Takes about 4 pulls! quick ones.

that's how i start my (large) chainsaw, put if it doesn't fire after four choked pulls it need the choke off to un-flood it

however -
the manual for my air-cooled pocket rocket, after being translated from engrish, says to prime it with a few slow pulls with choke on, then turn choke off and pull it quickly. usually works too unless something has gone wrong.

so, which way should it be done?

Leyton
22nd November 2008, 22:53
haha you know my bike better then I do Gadget! :) hehe, I am fairly certain its mixture too, the bike will really boogy I am sure :) I cant wait to try it hehe, He said it was doing nice 3rds and was very very competitive. I am somewhat very happy with it :)

I am in the process at present of sorting out the factory front caliper bolts (As simple as fitting a washer to them).. then its all sorted :) I have epoxy reenforced the shell around the back of the seat like I done with my last bike :)