PDA

View Full Version : rvg 250 top end prices

wbks
25th November 2008, 19:52
can someone real quick please tell me if they know how much a piston, rings and sleeve are for a 1995 rgv250? Cheers

eelracing
25th November 2008, 20:10
I've been quoted from a suzuki shop for my 91 rgv $97 pistons each and $76 each set of rings.
As for sleeves,are you trying to do away with the nikasil bores???

wbks
25th November 2008, 20:12
Thanks. As for sleeve, its a bike im looking at to buy, the skirt colapsed in one cylender so it might be a screwed sleeve (more than likely). If its not too far off the beaten path, you wouldn't be able to ask your dealer next time you go there how much the sleeves are?

naphazoline
25th November 2008, 20:37
a mate of mine is going to need some rgv parts for a 1992 model and just out of curiousity,how much would the power valves be each?

he's not sure what it needs exactly,as he hasn't stripped down yet,but it seized on him one night,and he managed to get it going again,but says it makes a rattling sound at low revs :(

wbks
25th November 2008, 20:43
I wouldn't think that would be the powervalve. screwed Powervalves are more like bad performance at certain revs and throttle because it adjusts to suit the revs to provide adiquate back pressure (not too much, not to little) so I don't think it would cause rattling. But I might be wrong. Anyway. Still no one on the other thread?

naphazoline
25th November 2008, 20:55
nah..prob' not the power valve,but he said he was curious all the same.
cheers

eelracing
25th November 2008, 21:01
Rgv's have nikasil bores my friend,that means you have to get them re-nikasiled or find a second hand or new replacement barrel.There are a couple of outfits that offer this service,i will get back to you on this one.
If it was my bike i would be looking at pulling it down as there will prob be bits of piston down in the crank.
But go and check, as what you are saying sounds like it is already in bits so inspect very closely and be prepared to walk away.

Unless its really really cheap then give me the sellers phone number.
Good luck

wbks
25th November 2008, 21:15
Yea well it might have bits of metal in the actual gearbox in which case you would need to split the casings to check which is a bit of a mission considering its only a prospect and you would need to find someone who could do it fast. He seems to think it would be dodgy for that kind of money. Damn I wish there were more cheap-nice 250 two strokes out there. Its just not right that an '06 1000 is almost the same price as an old used two stroke :(

Coyote
25th November 2008, 21:21
a mate of mine is going to need some rgv parts for a 1992 model and just out of curiousity,how much would the power valves be each?
My old RG150 was quoted $750 for a pair of them. That was just one cylinder.

I got another RG for that price instead.

eelracing
25th November 2008, 21:24
Gearbox is separated from crank,so it will be ok,But yes you will have to split engine cases to get at the crank.

wbks
25th November 2008, 21:35
So worst case scenario is that the crank is screwed? Just one or both? How much would that be? I'm starting to doubt wether to bother as it is a quite new bike, low ks but for 3k with a lot of engine work might be a worry. about due for new pistons/rings anyway so theres $346 then a sleeve( im assuming not needed in pairs) for $450 (ish?) so theres just about 800 and that makes it only a little under marked value of the other bikes like it and then it might need new cranks...I'm confused...

imdying
26th November 2008, 07:27
Ok, top end rebuild kit (http://thetuningworks.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=21_22&products_id=248) (pistons, rings, gaskets, small end bearing, plus misc crap you'll need) is $695 (http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=250gbp+in+nzd&btnG=Search&meta=).

Replating is around $900 for the pair of barrels, done in Oamaru.

Beautiful new billet powervalves (better than OEM) will be $1208 (http://thetuningworks.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=21_22&products_id=30), or a rebuild kit (http://thetuningworks.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=21_22&products_id=419) for the existing ones at $305 (http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=110gbp+in+nzd&btnG=Search&meta=).

Of course, those prices will be less 17.5% VAT, but + freight.

wbks
26th November 2008, 07:52
Damn you need to ship it all from the U.K or the states huh. Wel...Think this might be a little out of my price range:crybaby: Now I know why they sell for 8k at dealers godamnit

imdying
26th November 2008, 08:08
No, it's all available from dealers in New Zealand. The pricing will still hurt though. Better hope your ZXR doesn't throw the cam chain, all those little valves and pistons, that's not cheap to do up either.

wbks
26th November 2008, 08:13
Thats partly why i want to buy a two stroke, because you can buy new parts for a two stroke top end, you need to buy second hand parts for the zxr. If a bearing goes its not like i can replace it with another second hand one so i need a new engine. The way I ride it that might be soon too. Another reason why I want a bike with an extra 15 hp. Still, rebuilding the zxr isn't needed all the time. Over 100k kms on it and nothing but a new cam chain and tentioner needed which was cheap. Someone on trademe recons he got a 2500 top end rebuild on his rgv. Thats gotta be mostly labour right? Because 700 is a way off 2.5k

Ixion
26th November 2008, 08:17
A bad top end blowup could cost 2500 for parts. Power valves, replated or new barrels, pistons, other stuff. Labour isn't likely to be much.But that would be an extremeish example.

Arzhole blew a hole in the piston, prolly only cost me 400 or so. Just a new piston, rings for the other one (yeah, I'm an ikey scotchman) and new valves seals and odds. That's probably the other extreme.

imdying
26th November 2008, 08:36
Someone on trademe recons he got a 2500 top end rebuild on his rgv. Thats gotta be mostly labour right? Because 700 is a way off 2.5k

Unless he has receipts, then assume he's another full of shit loser that has had nothing at all done.

Top end kit $700
Plating $900
Powervalves $1400

You could piss $2500 away pretty easily without too much effort.

Speed costs.

wbks
26th November 2008, 13:17
Woa ever heard of a kawasaki kr 1 s? two stroke 250! Never heard of it. Good bike?

imdying
26th November 2008, 13:48
Yes, a tiny bit faster in top end than the RGV250s were. Basically, just a Kawasaki RGV/NSR/TZR/RS.

Only reason not to buy one is half the apparent lack of available spares, and the abundance of spares around for RGVs. No point making life difficult for yourself.

racefactory
26th November 2008, 15:16
why do you keep thinking the gearbox has something to do with this?

695 for a top end kit what is that a joke? I have seen 400 buck full kits on trademe alone..

do some searching around and another piece of advise is don't buy from NZ (fucking rip off). I got TZR250 top end kit (WAY more rare than RGV VJ22/23 stuff) to my door for just over 400NZ bucks. I located a crank for 900 bucks brand new too.

go to TYGA.com and there are your RGV top end parts. don't forget for rgv you also have wiseco/prox/tanaka etc... for fucks sake there's so many options for these bikes...

If you bother to search around i bet you you'll find all your top end parts for 400 or under.. Phone a wrecker for a second hand crank if it's on the way out... from what i know.. cranks usually give off signs before they blow, due to worn bearings from prolonged use and inadequate lubrication.

There is no excuse not to find good cheap RGV parts honestly.

So good luck!

btw: have you run that bike yet? Does it go all ok? Check for rumbling and knocking... if nothing.. then the crank is probably all good!! Leave it alone!

if you pay 3k for the bike as is (once it's been checked for rumbling and knocking from the crank) then expect to pay 3.8k total for new top end and a new barrel from wreckers. just chuck another one in...

Don't bother with replating it and all that shit it's far too expensive and don't forget shocking NZ service... shit like that takes too long in this country from my experience!

...oh and don't forget RGV powervalves... now that's a recipe for crank and top end disaster! get billet ones. Again, someone quoted a very high price in this thread and i have seen cheaper.. go to rgv250.co.uk on the message boards to find where to get them.

imdying
26th November 2008, 15:48
go to rgv250.co.uk on the message boards to find where to get them.They'll probably say Sean's shop, which is where the above links go to... :rolleyes:

wbks
26th November 2008, 18:39
Yea the rgvs do seem to have a lot more spares then the KR1 but the KR1 is really a lot cheaper then any decent rgv out there and i just called a dealership in thames who said they just did a rebuild of one a couple days ago so they obviously have parts available

Ixion
26th November 2008, 18:46
KR1 is faster, but has always had a reputation as a handgrenade, even for two strokes. But, y'never know, there's bound to be someone out there who clocked up 100000 ks on one without any problems at all. Somewhere.

wbks
26th November 2008, 19:07
Lol thats not very confidence expiring. But if they are faster obviously it comes as a cost. I think I'll go test ride one this week in Auckland. I'm sure I'll like it.

imdying
27th November 2008, 14:09
Whilst you're out looking, consider if this (http://www.twostrokeshop.com/Aprilia_RS500_2008.htm) might be a direction you'd like to take in the future. If so, then you'll be needing a donor RS250 in the future... ;)

wbks
27th November 2008, 14:26
Slap 250 stickers on it and she'll be right haahaha Never mind the 280km speedo that thing probably has lol

imdying
27th November 2008, 14:35
It's all the standard RS250 running gear, thus why you need the donor RS250 in the first place :yes:

wbks
27th November 2008, 16:22
Yea but its still a 500. Nutty bike... 112 HP? If I won lotto I would buy it, and keep it registered as a 250 in the chassis...Yea then I would arrange a hospital bed in advance

koba
27th November 2008, 21:11
another place to buy online. closer than UK but about the same $
RGV SPARES (http://rgvspares.com/)