PDA

View Full Version : Anyone need to buy oil for their bike?

klyong82
26th November 2008, 18:14
Hi all,

Just seen this ad on the Online Trading forum about Q8 motorcycle oil and they are selling at up to 50% discount . Bulk purchase anyone? I have just emailed them to see how much shipping it gonna cost. I don't know much about this brand but done a bit of reading and it seems to be popular for racing....

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=86561

shingo
26th November 2008, 20:19
I could be interested depending on how much the shipping is going to cost. Would be worth it just to stock pile a few bottles for later use.

klyong82
26th November 2008, 20:37
I have asked for 2 bottles and that should last me a year. I shall update the thread once they reply me. strange Shingo you work at Repco but dont you get special price and have many contacts to source bike stuff cheaply at the same time?

edit: yes I like stockpiling automotive stuff I got 8 bottles of Castrol Magnatec hidden somewhere in my house...

shingo
26th November 2008, 20:46
The only bike oil i can easily get is the castrol, which i dont particularly want.

I am planning on trying to source some of the Mobil bike oil, but laziness has got the better of me. Plus i have a near full bottle of Motul 5100 already, so won't be needing oil for another 10,000k's

xwhatsit
26th November 2008, 20:54
$25 for four litres isn't bad for mineral. 10W-40 is a little light, though.

Phurrball
27th November 2008, 10:03
Keep me informed - both the VFR and baby VTR are due changes...

I'd usually use Motul 5100 10W40 semi-synthetic for both.

Here is the Q8 oils product page. (http://www.q8oils.co.uk/productlibrary.asp?OBJ_ID=26508)

klyong82
27th November 2008, 10:51
Hi guys,

Just got a reply from Jan from Bluepak and was told that if you need the oil urgently then it is gonna cost $20 to be sent from Wellington by courier but they do have an Auckland rep that will drop it off to you for free but may just have to wait for a few days longer.

Just give him a ring: 021-408 885 (Barry). I am going to buy some of the semi-synthetic oil.

Edit: Make sure you mention that you heard about the special pricing if not you might be charged the normal retail price.

JBJB
27th November 2008, 11:12
I would also be keen for a few litres and maybe a can of chain lube or two. Let us know once the shipping pirces are in. Cheers for emailing them.

klyong82
27th November 2008, 11:20
I would also be keen for a few litres and maybe a can of chain lube or two. Let us know once the shipping pirces are in. Cheers for emailing them.

I just had a nice talk with Barry and he took the time to go thru all the motorcycle products and customer feedbacks about the Q8 products. I am buying a bottle of the chain lube too since it is damn $6 bucks worth a try but I did ask whether if was suitable for X-ring chains but he did not have any info on it but had to say it was developed for racing - so must be good.

Give Barry a ring and he will drop it off to you or you can pick it up at Takanini.

HungusMaximist
28th November 2008, 12:22
Just given him a ring ay, nice guy aye.

Gunna pop by during the weekends!

bungbung
28th November 2008, 16:44
I bought 8l of semi-synthetic. I reloaded my bucket before the enduro last weekend and it didn't blow up. Must be ok.

I plan on using the rest in the zxr and the fireslump.

The Stranger
28th November 2008, 17:32
10W-40 is a little light, though.

Too light for what?

AllanB
28th November 2008, 18:09
Too light for what?

Yeah - heaps of bikes use 10-40.

Maybe he has a Harley.

xwhatsit
28th November 2008, 22:04
Too light for what?
The gaping, worn out bearings in my bike. Maybe I'm talking shit but it seems to like 20W-50 (or is it 20W-40?), especially in summer.

Might just be my imagination though. According to the user manual (found an original on Tardme), in the heat range we're in now, straight 30 weight is the go :laugh: Good luck finding that these days lol.

The Stranger
28th November 2008, 22:43
The gaping, worn out bearings in my bike. Maybe I'm talking shit but it seems to like 20W-50 (or is it 20W-40?), especially in summer.

Might just be my imagination though. According to the user manual (found an original on Tardme), in the heat range we're in now, straight 30 weight is the go :laugh: Good luck finding that these days lol.

20W etc is the winter weight, or a measure of the time (in seconds) that a litre of oil takes to pass a given aperture at 0 degrees centigrade.
40 or 50 is the time it takes for that grade of oil to pass a given aperture at 100 degrees centigrade.

5W40
10W40
15W40
20W40
Will all be near enough functionally equivalent (or at least fall within set tolerances) in that respect when your motor is warm.

On start up, 5W will flow quicker and thus coat critical elements quicker than say a 20W oil. Though that is possibly moot in a flogged out engine.