PDA

View Full Version : Bike not pulling at 3/4 throttle up

frewi
1st December 2008, 06:46
I ride with an old thumper the xr 500 an 82 model. The problem is as the title says. It revs up but it feels like theres nothing there. A while back I noticed when I engage the clutch to slow and roll on i.e intersection It dosn't engage fully. At lower speeds and starting off it seems ok. I'm not a mecanicics arsehole and I would ask one but I live in france and its not easy understanding shit like this in french. Any help would be great before some froggy empties out my wallet. Cheers!!!

eelracing
1st December 2008, 11:28
It sounds like you have clutch slippage,if the engine is still revving out but no noticeable speed increase then maybe the clutch plates and springs are worn out.This could also explain why the bike creeps forward in gear when you are stopped.
Hope it helps.

frewi
2nd December 2008, 05:05
thanks for the help, is it a major job to replace? A proper mechanic might take how long to replace clutch plates and springs around about?

Max Preload
2nd December 2008, 09:02
Very easy replacement. Check the clutch cable has enough freeplay first - there should be a little play in the lever before the cable goes tight.

slimjim
2nd December 2008, 09:19
yes not alot of labour involved...how is the clutch cable wire..smooth and oiled..hopefully parts would cost more than labour

frewi
3rd December 2008, 05:16
The clutch cable is smooth and very easy to pull in. Are you saying I should lossen the cable abit to see if thats all the problem is first.

slimjim
3rd December 2008, 08:19
no bro..sometimes a wire cable can split and a bit of the wire grabs the linning of the outer cable...if smooth no prob....would give your local honda shop a call and check out prices for clutch bits...also check up on a manual for your bike...as 1982 these were built to go for ever...just gota keep up manitance on them...and with a good manual, you only need to follow what you pull off....goes back the same way , with new parts....may also be a bit of overhead cam wearage too...if the motor has not had a rebuild in its life..

frewi
4th December 2008, 04:44
thanks for the advice slimjim. I've starting looking for a manual and might give it a bash myself. Just hope when i close her up theres not bits left over lol!! Have a great a summer over there. Cheers

Max Preload
4th December 2008, 08:44
Are you saying I should lossen the cable abit to see if thats all the problem is first.

Yes. That's exactly what I'm saying.

xwhatsit
4th December 2008, 12:39
may also be a bit of overhead cam wearage too...if the motor has not had a rebuild in its life..
I'd put my money on the cam being worn right down. The 500 was notorious for it -- the rockers and the pins they ran on didn't last long either.

But yes, a slipping clutch won't help either.

Conquiztador
5th December 2008, 22:34
Before you get all technical, answer me this: Have you (or anyone else) at any stage filled up the motor with car oil? If the answer is "yes", that is your problem! Car oil is not made for wet clutches and will make the plates slip.

If this is the case, just empty out when warm and refill with bike oil.

If the oil is not the issue and you have some play in the cable so that the clutch is not engaged even a little when riding, then put her on her side, take off the side cover from motor and there is your clutch. Dismantle and replace plates. Fibre plates are cheap. In NZ approx $10 each and you probably have 5 - 8 in there.

Good Luck!