PDA

View Full Version : Moto Guzzi transmission whine?

STJim
1st December 2008, 18:24
I am hopeful that a Guzzi nut or two out there might be able to help me.
I have a 2001 Califorina Stone It has just clicked over 41,000 kms.
A noticable whine appears to have developed in the Transmission in 5th gear and only in 5th gear.
Would any one have any idea what the problem might be.
Cheers

Paul in NZ
1st December 2008, 18:50
Ooops... Lots of potentially bad things but...

1. Dump the trans oil into a white ice cream container (eat the ice cream 1st) and check for any bits.. All OK - refill with oil.

2. If thats OK - ride it until you find the speed it whines then add some speed and check it does not change then try the same speed in 4th - it could be the diff and road speed related.

IF - gear oil starts appearing from the square hole in the bell housing its donald ducked the stupid plastic cage input bearing and wrecked the seals.

IF - oil leaks arounf the diff housing or oil level in diff goes up it's the output shaft bearing.

If either of the IF's happens ... Stop riding it before it gets expensive and strip / replace bearings. I have most of the tools and instructions if you need it.

Paul in NZ
2nd December 2008, 18:02
Checked with the guzzi guru.. He says...

Yup, dunno why it is but Calis from 2001 and 2002 seem to suffer particularl
from this problem. When examined the 5th gear pair usually shows some
damage, whether it was simply a bad batch of gears or whatever I don't know.

Worth doing something about as the case hardening that comes off isn't
exactly good for anything else in the box but they seem to soldier on pretty
much forever without catastrophic failure.

I have most of the tools and the parts are easy to get if you want to do it.

Instructions are here..

STJim
3rd December 2008, 08:03
Thanks Paul thats helpful. I have also had a chat with Pete from Moto Kiwi who thinks it could be the front bearing on the output shaft.
The article was very helpful. I am not very mechanical minded and will have someone esle preform the "Surgary"

Paul in NZ
3rd December 2008, 18:09
Thanks Paul thats helpful. I have also had a chat with Pete from Moto Kiwi who thinks it could be the front bearing on the output shaft.
The article was very helpful. I am not very mechanical minded and will have someone esle preform the "Surgary"

Could be the front bearing - they changed to a shitty plastic cage one a for a few years instead of a proper one (saving 13c)

STJim
4th December 2008, 14:37
That has been suggested to me