PDA

View Full Version : Alternator cover - replacing

Dargor
5th December 2008, 09:59
Hi all, just noticed my alternator cover has a crack in it, not sure how long its been like that. I have a replacement cover which i want to put on but just want to check, should there be any oil in there, and should i try to seal the cover with gasket sealer.
Thanks for your help.
The bike is a Yamaha fzr400 1989, heres some photos of the damage.

vifferman
5th December 2008, 10:13
If it's not weeping any oil when hot, then there's probably none in there.
My VFR had a drop at standstill, and a similar crack (although finer), in the clutch cover. Fixed it with JB Weld ($14). New cover = US$280.

Toast
5th December 2008, 12:49
Quite sure they should all have oil in there (my CBR does, and seen some come out of a Gixxer's)

Some have a paper gasket, if not, use liquid gasket. Either way it needs a seal of some sort since there's fluid in there :niceone:

Conquiztador
5th December 2008, 22:24
Some have oil inside the alternator. Some do not. If, when you take the cover off, there is oil in there, then yes, a gasket or liquid gasket is recommended. If, when you take it off, it is nice and dry, then no prob. I have successfully "repaired" holes/cracks in them with araldite...

MaxB
5th December 2008, 23:50
For the seal question, carefully remove original and see how it is put together. If it did not leak before being damaged then that is how it goes.

I would try and repair the cover with JB weld. Make sure the surfaces are degreased before repair and clean off the excess straight away because it sets like concrete. Then you have a spare.

Dargor
14th December 2008, 22:33
Well I've replaced my alternator cover, It didnt have any liquids in it, the old cover didnt have much in the way of a seal, so i left the new one that way.

Thanks all.

SARGE
14th December 2008, 22:38
Hi all, just noticed my alternator cover has a crack in it, not sure how long its been like that. I have a replacement cover which i want to put on but just want to check, should there be any oil in there, and should i try to seal the cover with gasket sealer.
Thanks for your help.
The bike is a Yamaha fzr400 1989, heres some photos of the damage.

pretty sure the FZR's didnt have a wet alternator.. the FJ's do though