PDA

View Full Version : cbr250 wont change gear + clutch removal

The Pastor
7th December 2008, 09:18
Howdy all.

Got a wee bit of a problem with my 92 mc22 - it wont change gear and is "stuck" in a high gear.

it starts and revs fine with the clutch in, can even ride it (although down hill as its in a high gear )

but it just wont change gear - it sounds like it is changing gear but doesn't do anything.

I want to remove the clutch to have a look at the gear selector - anyone got any tips for this?

Any help would be awesome.

there is no play on the spline where the gear foot lever attaches to.

Thanks

Rm

Magua
18th December 2008, 09:45
Made any progress?

The Pastor
18th December 2008, 09:52
Hopefully my good friend skidmark will help me pull my bike to bits on sunday - anyone else want to come help?

Sully60
18th December 2008, 10:12
Hopefully my good friend skidmark will help me pull my bike to bits on sunday - anyone else want to come help?

Could be an issue with the thingymajiggy (fork type arrangement) on the end of shift shaft (the one poerated by the gear lever) and the way it engages on the pins of the shift drum. You may need to use a rattle gun to get the clutch boss nut off from there you'll be away. If you don't have one PM me there's another way but I ain't going to say it in public!
What it sounds like is that this may not be returning quite far enough either way to hook the pins and move them far enough to get the detent wheel to snap into the adjacent notch on the wheel, hence being stuck in a gear. As far as what's causing this to happen I can't really help you, you'll have to eyeball it and asses it for yourself.
Check for the obvious behind the clutch cover and if you draw a blank there it looks like you'll have to split the cases and check the shift forks and the drum, not fun for you!

The Pastor
18th December 2008, 10:15
Could be an issue with the thingymajiggy (fork type arrangement) on the end of shift shaft (the one poerated by the gear lever) and the way it engages on the pins of the shift drum. You may need to use a rattle gun to get the clutch boss nut off from there you'll be away. If you don't have one PM me there's another way but I ain't going to say it in public!
What it sounds like is that this may not be returning quite far enough either way to hook the pins and move them far enough to get the detent wheel to snap into the adjacent notch on the wheel, hence being stuck in a gear. As far as what's causing this to happen I can't really help you, you'll have to eyeball it and asses it for yourself.
Check for the obvious behind the clutch cover and if you draw a blank there it looks like you'll have to split the cases and check the shift forks and the drum, not fun for you!
not in auckland are ya mate?

Sully60
18th December 2008, 10:18
not in auckland are ya mate?

No sorry, but I'm home tonight (finished my last night shift of 08 last night:banana:) so I could do some remote consultation, if it helps?

The Pastor
18th December 2008, 10:25
No sorry, but I'm home tonight (finished my last night shift of 08 last night:banana:) so I could do some remote consultation, if it helps?
nah its ok, ive tried the over the internet mechaincs before - its really hard when refering to the thing attached to the doohicky behind the cover.

Sully60
18th December 2008, 10:26
nah its ok, ive tried the over the internet mechaincs before - its really hard when refering to the thing attached to the doohicky behind the cover.

Got a digicam and MS paint?

The Pastor
18th December 2008, 10:32
Thanks mate, but im not going to have a chance to get into the garage before sunday anyway.