PDA

View Full Version : Why motorcycle shops don’t sell motorcycles

Cajun
12th December 2008, 12:31
This is us a us study, but many thing would be simalar reasons in nz

article -> http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news/motorcycle-shops-sell-motorcycles/#more-772
report -> http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/news/releases/pressrelease.aspx?ID=2008264)

J.D. Power and Associates has just released a report that details some of the major reasons why motorcycle buyers purchase one bike over another. After talking to over 3000 customers in September and October, the report outlines four major factors for purchasing desiions, namely: why a buyer bought from one brand rather than another. The short answer is: The Dealer, the long answer is after the jump.

While almost all buyers cited price as being a factor, drilling down further finds that buyers often passed up on one motorcycle to buy another that costs virtually the same. So J.D. Power and Associates investigated further to see what the real reason was. In one sentence, it can be described as dealer experience. Their report lists some interesting numbers, but also makes the argument that a sale is won and lost on the dealership floor.

51 % of new motorcycle shoppers said dealer-related issues as a reason for rejecting a motorcycle brand. Read in a different light, that means that a motorcycle company could DOUBLE its sales if they improved their dealer experience for the customer to the customer’s satisfaction.

The frustration with dealers is further broken down into specific issues. 25% of customers said that the inability to test ride a bike was a major issue with buying a bike (this shouldn’t be a surprised since Americans are accustomed to test-driving cars before purchasing). To top this off 7% of motorcycle buyers indicated that the inability to test ride a bike was the most influential reason for not purchasing a particular motorcycle brand.

In addition, 18% of buyers rejected a motorcycle because it was not available at the dealership (its not clear if this means the particular model, or if a variation of the model is not available). 15% of buyers cited service being an issue, and that the perception of another dealer, who sold a different brand of motorcycle, having better service was enough of a reason for the buyer to choose that brand instead.

Motorcycle manufacturers should take note of this article and evaluate how their brand is percieved and shaped by their dealers. I’d be willing to bet if any of these companies hired a rabid brand manager, we’d see some dealers’ heads rolling.

mstriumph
12th December 2008, 12:38
I'm sure that research echos the experience of many here ....... i met a bunch of useless dealers when buying my last bike that left me vowing NEVER to darken their doors again........

unfortunately the excellent staff of the dealership where i DID buy have now all moved on ...... when i'm ready to buy again i shall have to either track them down or repeat the enire exercise :crybaby:

what we need is for Suppliers to start routinely INSISTING on a good level of competence in Dealer-staff ........ *sigh*

wbks
12th December 2008, 12:59
Thats a pretty big proportion (15%) who avoid buying from dealerships because of service. And I think thats true over here, too. My mate went into a shop (which shall remain nameless) in his stubbies and singlet looking like a farmer and the shop pretty much ignored him not keen to let him test ride this bike. Right after his dad turns up on his new zx6 their eyes must have lit up thinking "rich daddy will buy him this bike" and coudn't offer him a test ride quick enough. Seeing what kind of service they would give him after he handed his money over he said "fuckoff" and bought the same bike from a shop in auckland the next day

Hitcher
12th December 2008, 13:05
Talk about stating the bleeding obvious. But, chillingly, many bike shop owners and sales people just don't seem to get that.

PirateJafa
12th December 2008, 13:53
Thats a pretty big proportion (15%) who avoid buying from dealerships because of service. And I think thats true over here, too. My mate went into a shop (which shall remain nameless) in his stubbies and singlet looking like a farmer and the shop pretty much ignored him not keen to let him test ride this bike. Right after his dad turns up on his new zx6 their eyes must have lit up thinking "rich daddy will buy him this bike" and coudn't offer him a test ride quick enough. Seeing what kind of service they would give him after he handed his money over he said "fuckoff" and bought the same bike from a shop in auckland the next day

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if the fact that he was wearing "stubbies and [a] singlet" was why they didn't want him to have a test ride. If he turns up looking like a complete fucking squid then no surprise really.

Gremlin
12th December 2008, 13:55
why a buyer bought from one brand rather than another. The short answer is: The Dealer,

To top this off 7% of motorcycle buyers indicated that the inability to test ride a bike was the most influential reason for not purchasing a particular motorcycle brand.

15% of buyers cited service being an issue, and that the perception of another dealer, who sold a different brand of motorcycle, having better service was enough of a reason for the buyer to choose that brand instead.
Heavily agree on the these points. I only bought my bike after I had ridden an exact demo, and it took months for a demo to finally be available.

A mate is looking at selling/trading one bike, because the only authorised dealership in Auckland has a workshop that's quality is sliding. On the other hand, a dealership close to work and home is high quality, great workshop, different brands, but has bikes he likes anyway.

And weirdly enough, I was just talking to Dave at Botany Honda on Wednesday morning after taking the CB1000R overnight, and was mentioning how being a great dealer is a lot of the battle to gaining long term customers, and the fact that they had such good service meant if possible, their Hondas were chosen over other brands at least part due to them (which is technically irrespective of brand).

wbks
12th December 2008, 14:30
Actually I wouldn't be surprised if the fact that he was wearing "stubbies and [a] singlet" was why they didn't want him to have a test ride. If he turns up looking like a complete fucking squid then no surprise really.Ok maybe thats right but if you had been in the area then you would know how much stuff like this and much more puts people off buying from them. They also did a half ass job on 3 bikes of my mates that I know of which is why they don't buy there either.

Headbanger
12th December 2008, 20:48
I recently done the rounds of the local bike shops, looking for a dirt bike on the very cheap end of the scale.

Responses ranged from the old classic of being ignored entirely, being told nope,can't help ya (followed by blank stare) to taking my name,number, and hitting the phones to see what they could find for me.

So, who did I buy a bike from?

None of them, I have no cash, Classic case of a time waster.

Muhahahahaha

beats working.

wbks
12th December 2008, 21:14
You are the reason I can't test ride a new bike unless I pretty much strap my cash to my forehead as I walk though the door! Asshole!

<3

ckai
12th December 2008, 21:35
Ok maybe thats right but if you had been in the area then you would know how much stuff like this and much more puts people off buying from them. They also did a half ass job on 3 bikes of my mates that I know of which is why they don't buy there either.

Interesting. I would love to know who you have the gripe with to see if we (wife and I) have the same issues. I ended up buying my bike from Tauranga because I didn't like certain shops here.

It suppose it's like all vehicle related stores though, or anything for that matter. All it takes really is one shitty salesperson and it's all over. Went to buy a company car a few years back. Had several makes in mind. I was dressed in average clothes but was paying cash (it was a good year :)). The salesperson that approached us, after several other dealers failed, got the sale and has got 3 more sales after that one.

It's a pity the crap shops don't read this sort of stuff. They're already brilliant.

98tls
12th December 2008, 21:40
Not exactly life changing stuff there findings eh,if per chance i ever own a bike shop i would try (if possible) to have a demo day once a month.

98tls
12th December 2008, 21:42
I recently done the rounds of the local bike shops, looking for a dirt bike on the very cheap end of the scale.

Responses ranged from the old classic of being ignored entirely, being told nope,can't help ya (followed by blank stare) to taking my name,number, and hitting the phones to see what they could find for me.

So, who did I buy a bike from?

None of them, I have no cash, Classic case of a time waster.

Muhahahahaha

beats working. Possibly more like "the old classic being ignored mate".:Oi:

samgab
12th December 2008, 22:14
So what's a really GOOD bike shop in the Auckland area with helpful, knowledgeable staff that know what they're talking about and with a service dept that do a really good job?
Good experiences anyone?

old git
12th December 2008, 22:38
Seems like a real survey, for my sins i need a new bike, 1000cc+ old skool 80's type naked or a small fairing that will do monsterous miles giving it a bit of wellie. so Gsx1400, CB1300's or similar !!!!............now i'm nearly 50 have a clean licence (only at the moment) and i don't live out in the wop wops, only 50 k's to CHCH, and can i find an effing demo bike for a few hours or so, no i bloody cant...........WHO THE F##K buys a new one without a test ride!!!,
So mr yamasuondakis pull your effing fingers out and find demo bikes for us real bikers before i do something silly and start looking at HAR..............(fuck me never!!).
Gripe over for tonite.

Gremlin
13th December 2008, 01:35
So what's a really GOOD bike shop in the Auckland area with helpful, knowledgeable staff that know what they're talking about and with a service dept that do a really good job?
Good experiences anyone?
What brand? If you read Kiwibiker and try to sum it up, you won't have one shop left that someone hasn't had a bad experience.

The key is to a, find a good shop, b, establish a good relationship, c, enjoy it.

The huge benefit of a good relationship can pay dividends, but then, it also depends how you present yourself, and what you want/ask for. AMPS had barely seen me, I'd never had a bike from them, but they let me spend a Saturday taking out 3 bikes in a row, for 90-120 minutes at a time. Sure, I bought one, but there was no existing relationship.

Okey Dokey
13th December 2008, 08:01
Sorry, I'm going off on a slight tangent here. In regards to "looking the part" when you go shopping.

It may be unfair, but dressing to shop does make a difference to the service you get. If I want to buy clothes, I dress nicely and the sales people take me as a potential buyer. Even better service can be ensured by carrying a shopping bag from a branded department store. If they think I shop at "Fancy Brand Name Place", it seems to enhance my status in their eyes.

Just some food for thought...

Back to the dealers.

Tony.OK
13th December 2008, 08:33
It seems to be an issue in NZ that if you don't look rich then your not allowed to buy shit...................shouldn't the shop keepers/staff treat every customer as if they are rich? Regardless of attire.
Until shop owners start teaching their staff that without sales and customers they'd be out of a job the situation will remain the same.
Summer = singlets & stubbies/boardies.........not tuxedo's, wallets carry money regardless of type of pocket they are in;)

Southern Biker
13th December 2008, 09:17
And if all else fails you jump online, get yourself a crack mechanic, and never go to a dealer ever again???

gammaguy
13th December 2008, 09:48
And if all else fails you jump online, get yourself a crack mechanic, and never go to a dealer ever again???

and do you get crack mechanics online too?i prefer to call them proctologists:cool:

SARGE
13th December 2008, 09:56
unfortunately the excellent staff of the dealership where i DID buy have now all moved on ...... when i'm ready to buy again i shall have to either track them down or repeat the enire exercise :crybaby:

when i was in the biz.. i had about 60% of my clients follow me shop-to-shop

i remember hearing of a client walking into a shop i had recently left and ask

"Where's Sarge?"

"he's at Colemans now.."

"ok.. see ya.."

boils down to "if you dont take care of the customer.. someone else will"

what we need is for Suppliers to start routinely INSISTING on a good level of competence in Dealer-staff ........ *sigh*

lets not lose our heads here.. that idea might trickle down to other industries and New Zealand would close :girlfight:

mdnzz
13th December 2008, 09:59
Its because some feel that business is so good that they don't need your money.
This situation can be the same for car dealers.

Some time back my job involved checking out how the sales staff were at two major franchises.

1 required licence, name, address and almost a dna sample to take a shitty 2004 Getz for a test drive.
Spent 15 minutes pointing out this and that, didn't offer any paymeny plans or after sales service etc

2 never asked to see ID. spent and hour with me, feed me fresh baked muffins, hot brewed coffee and gave me the remote for a IS230. Showed me plenty of after sales options, payment plans and back up service. Even offfered discounts what ever payment plan I chose.

Needless to say 1 got a not so hot report 2 got a very good one.

Not all staff care wether you purchase off them or not, some are just their filling in the day until they can go home.
If they don't then they must be raking in the money to not worry about customer satisfaction.

Shop around, talk to the staff.
If they really want your business they will make you feel welcomed not matter what you look, dress like.

Sheeze I get everyone from cockies, bogans, boy racers to Mr Plod buying of me, they all get welcomed regardless.
Hell I even had a old Maori chap in yesterday bartering cash and whitebait for goods.

Oh on a footnote, you are a customer regardless if you purchase or not, 45% of my ph calls each day are from people are after stock that I don't supply, however I direct them hopefully to some outfit that can.

wbks
13th December 2008, 11:36
Interesting. I would love to know who you have the gripe with to see if we (wife and I) have the same issues. I ended up buying my bike from Tauranga because I didn't like certain shops here.

It suppose it's like all vehicle related stores though, or anything for that matter. All it takes really is one shitty salesperson and it's all over. Went to buy a company car a few years back. Had several makes in mind. I was dressed in average clothes but was paying cash (it was a good year :)). The salesperson that approached us, after several other dealers failed, got the sale and has got 3 more sales after that one.

It's a pity the crap shops don't read this sort of stuff. They're already brilliant.you say which shop you don't like first. I know a few people who work at this shop so I don't really want to piss them off:sweatdrop

Blackbird
13th December 2008, 11:55
Okay, I'll take a slightly contrary stance here! Yes, there are some shocking salespeople out there and dealership training systems are piss-poor in some cases. Boyd Honda was a good example - great workshop team, lousy front of house. However, my last 2 bike purchases were late models rather than brand new so they were already in the showrooms at Holeshot and Cyclespot. There wasn't the slightest problem in getting a test ride and I was treated well. Some of this might have been because in both cases, I prepared for the visit in terms of the things I wanted to ask and look at so that I didn't waste my time or that of the salesman. Maybe this helped to demonstrate that I was serious.

All I'm saying is that a degree of responsibility rests with both parties to build relationships.

Sparrowhawk
13th December 2008, 12:08
I had a customer at my old work that would come in wearing torn faded jeans & a singlet or bush shirt (depending on the weather). Turns out he was a multi millionair, but didn't like being ass kissed all the time, and would only give his business to company's that treated him well regardless of his appearance.

And hey, he could afford to be picky!

The Stranger
13th December 2008, 12:16
The short answer is: The Dealer

We now await the dealers on here to respond that buyers are liars and that we should be eternally grateful for any service they deem appropriate for us plebs.

STOLLI R1
13th December 2008, 12:25
Here in Welly I utilise the services of Motomart. I have only ever bought one bike from them and it was an import MX bike back in 99. But for all the time I've been riding bikes in the North Island the Motomart team have always made sure I get a decent percentage off the sticker price of anything I buy through the parts dept. One thing I also like is that Martin, one of the parts guys has had an R1 same as mine so I can bounce ideas and questions off him to help choose a good course of action when things need doing. I feel sorry for the bike sales guys cause every time they see me they know I'm not there to buy a new bike. They're polite enough though, and they have plenty of Ducati bikes to sell to pers with more money than me.

Oh one other thing, I like going into a bike shop where, when you say "I need an air filter for an MT50" they don't go "a what?"
Nothing grates me more than a parts guy or sales rep who has no real history with bikes and if your bike is more than 5 years old they know nothing about it at all.

I did buy a new bike once. A 2001 YZ250F. I got it from Big Mac at Maidstone Yamaha. We had a decent relationship operating while I was racing MX punting around a YZ250 two smoke. I had fancied the look of the 250F but considered it out of reach price wise. Macca said to me one day " don't fuck about, just buy it, you'll go faster". He was right, I didn't get a test ride. I just traded the old bike on the new and sure enough I was way faster. Some people find Macca a hard bastard, but once you get past the intial hit he's not a complete wanker.

I think generally though, a heap of sales guys are focused on numbers rather than the experience that buying a new bike should be. For lots of new bike buyers it's their first new bike and they generally laboured long and hard to get in a position to do the deal so Salesmen need to remember that when dealing with customers. If they get home with the new bike and they don't feel like all has gone well, the dealer has failed.

Gremlin
13th December 2008, 17:46
Some of this might have been because in both cases, I prepared for the visit in terms of the things I wanted to ask and look at so that I didn't waste my time or that of the salesman. Maybe this helped to demonstrate that I was serious.
I would say it certainly demonstrates you are not some tyre kicker who has perchance seen something in the shop.

In my case, I was able to rattle off stats more accurately than the sales staff, knew more of the differences between previous model and the I was interested in, etc. The questions I asked, half couldn't be answered and had to be referred to representatives from the brand, and even they admitted some were very curly :D

In NZ especially, judging a person by the clothes can be very wrong. I knew someone in the bricklaying industry, extremely well off, multi-millionaire, yet you would think he struggled to put two dollar coins together, because everything was worn and ripped etc, and he had a rough appearance, but he liked how he was.

The Lone Rider
13th December 2008, 19:02
I dunno, theres a Harley shop in NZ that is reknown for being filled with wankers (one in particular) but they sell the most Harleys in NZ (or was it the South Island?).

Reports such as him in the middle of a deal with someone there on a harley and he walked away to go talk to someone who had just showed up wearing all harley AND riding a harley.

Bob
13th December 2008, 23:51
In NZ especially, judging a person by the clothes can be very wrong. I knew someone in the bricklaying industry, extremely well off, multi-millionaire, yet you would think he struggled to put two dollar coins together, because everything was worn and ripped etc, and he had a rough appearance, but he liked how he was.

Back when I had to wear a suit at work, as I was about to start a new job, I went to buy a couple of new suits. I'd been doing some work in the garden, so went to the tailors wearing a scruffy old jumper with one sleeve longer than the other, ripped jeans, tatty old trainers that were coming apart etc.

I found a couple of suits I was interested in, then went to look for an assistant. He took one look at me and clearly decided I was going to a wedding or something. He said to me "You can try them both on and then decide which one you like."

So I went into 'Very English and Pompous' mode! I said to him "Buy just ONE suit? Whoever just buys one suit?"

The difference in his attitude after that? Utter transformation. Couldn't do enough for me. In all honesty, I was tempted to walk out, but I liked both suits and they were a decent price.

A friend of mine had a similar experience at a restuarant. He was taking his wife out for an anniversary dinner - and they were going to have lobster (they'd never had it before). So my friend went to his local wine dealer - and asked him what the best wine to have with lobster would be.

So they went to the restaurant. My friend has a cockney London accent, so the reaction of the staff to this customer in their expensive restaurant was looking down their nose at him. So he just bode his time until the food order - and of course ordered the lobster. At which point the waiter said "Would you like me to recommend a wine?" So my friend replied "Oh no, we will have the (whatever the wine was called) of course."

Again attitude changed totally and they couldn't do enough for him the rest of the evening.

So never judge a book by it's cover - especially if you're in the business of selling!

Swoop
14th December 2008, 07:49
The OP.
Absolutely nothing new there that would not have already been obvious.

As for someone walking into a dealership in shorts and "wife-beater", big deal! The person still has money to spend, regardless of whether or not he is "appropriately dressed" for a test ride. It's his/her skin. So long as the bike is brought back in the same condition as when it left the dealership, who cares?

DMNTD
14th December 2008, 07:59
As for someone walking into a dealership in shorts and "wife-beater", big deal! The person still has money to spend, regardless of whether or not he is "appropriately dressed" for a test ride. It's his/her skin. So long as the bike is brought back in the same condition as when it left the dealership, who cares?

Yeah but someone would have to clean all that calamari off :oi-grr:

AD345
16th December 2008, 20:38
Good thread.

Having just recently bought a new bike for the first time in *ahem* years (AND my first brand new bike to boot) I can confidently say that not only does a good dealer make the sake, they also manage "buyers regret" (its fairly common on big items I'm told) and build repeat business right from the get go.

Since the first enquiry I've had:
Helpful advice
personalised finance
insurance options arranged and explained
gear options likewise (VERY helpful for us proper sized blokes)
extra bits thrown in
constant contact on progress as the sale went through

after the sale:
two very good free lunches (!!!!)
several beers
a couple of good rides with dealer staff (Us Victory boys stick together)
dinner invite
more beer
coffee
and basically the beginning of a very good and long term relationship

There's been lots more and its only been a month but SFI have sold me an experience - not just a bike.

It is good to make friends

Edit: They may make good sake but it was actually the sale that I was wobbling on about... :Oops:

Dooly
16th December 2008, 20:45
A customer of ours a few years back won lotto.
Older Maori guy, retired ex copper he was.
Decent bloke.

Went to Welly to collect his winnings.

Did whatever you do at lotto HQ, wandered out, thought he'd buy the family some cars.
Went into a nearby toyota dealership.
They looked at him, roughly, but not scruffy dressed, Maori, old, hmm, time waster, never gave him the time of day.

He wandered out, strolled to a nearby Honda dealership, got attention, brought 4 new Accords right there and then.

Just never can tell, and never assume eh......