PDA

View Full Version : Advice on buying a CB250

bomma
17th December 2008, 21:58
So my mate is planning on buying one of these beasts. I had a test ride on the one he's got his eye on and the price seems quite fair. It has been dropped in the past but most of the damage has been fixed up, but the muffler is still a lil scuffed.

It has also been serviced (paperwork present) in the last three months (after said drop) so has been checked out.

The seat is ripped in two places so was wondering if anyone knew how much it would cost to get that fixed?

Also, apparently there is something wrong with the speedo/speedo cable (?) but when i rode it it was working.

It has done 33k and the engine is in good nick (from what i could tell from riding it). There's about 3.5mm-4mm of tread so they're fine.

I'm hoping to have a go on Toto's 2fiddy as a comparison as i've never ridden a cb250 before (power difference between the 2fiddy and it's big brother is......noticeable).

Any advice/help people have to offer is gladly appreciated. I know that i've started this thread in the SMC area, and as such it will very VERY soon be trolled up so i look forward to reading through the volumes of crap, trying to filter out the helpful tid-bits.

fatzx10r
17th December 2008, 22:13
what year is it and what model cb?

motorbyclist
17th December 2008, 23:12
talk to gi-joe

being a honda with gear driven cams there's not much to go wrong - just needs the normal checks

starts cold? all bearings, bushings, pivots, discs, forks, shocks, and wheels working, round and straight? brakes aren't too squishy and hold pressure AND able to lock? no obvious "bad" noises? obvious rust on chassis? blue smoke? black smoke? cables work? lights work? travels in a straight line and subframe is not visibly bent? all the gears work without drama etc etc i'm sure you know what you're doing

klyong82
18th December 2008, 08:19
What year? and how much? What about chain, sprockets and brakes? Looks good... Seat recover talk to Ewen he did his for $40.

Squiggles
18th December 2008, 08:49
starts cold? all bearings, bushings, pivots, discs, forks, shocks, and wheels working, round and straight?

brakes aren't too squishy and hold pressure AND able to lock? +pads & disks have meat left + what does the fluid look like (shitty or clear)

no obvious "bad" noises? obvious rust on chassis? blue smoke? black smoke? (+Pretty much any smoke :lol:)

cables work? lights work? travels in a straight line and subframe is not visibly bent? (what does it do when you lock the rear in a straight line? skip left, right or go straight)

all the gears work without drama (Doesnt pop out of gear, crunch etc)

etc etc i'm sure you know what you're doing Chain, sprockets, good or shit tyres yadayada

</10char></10char>

motorbyclist
18th December 2008, 10:44
chains/sprockets/tyres/pads are all easily replacable - but can come in handy when haggling ;)

bomma
18th December 2008, 11:22
brakes are quite loose but could prolly adjust that (i forgot to check the fluids though but they're easily sorted),

checked the pad and discs and are fine.

everything goes straight and isnt visibly bent.

didnt lock up the rear so dont know if it skids straight.

no smoke, the bike has plenty of pick up for a 2fiddy and didnt seem to be skipping any beats and such. engine not making any un-natural, exorcism-requiring noises.

rear sprocket was fine, chain is in good nick, checked most of it for tight spots and was cleared.

forks seem to have the standard hornet sag and are typically soft.

typically rusted in some areas due to lack of usage in a while.

i didn't check what year but it's definately from this millennia (ie post 2000), and agreed price is $3300 (which is decent)

shingo
18th December 2008, 13:24
i didn't check what year but it's definately from this millennia (ie post 2000), and agreed price is $3300 (which is decent)

I'm assuming it is the blue one listed on trademe, as your description of it matches perfectly, and that one is listed as a 96.

klyong82
18th December 2008, 14:13
Decent price... there

HungusMaximist
18th December 2008, 15:43
I can help you with economically priced seat re-covering. Just PM me.

bomma
18th December 2008, 18:48
I'm assuming it is the blue one listed on trademe, as your description of it matches perfectly, and that one is listed as a 96.

must be, hafnt actually looked it up but was present for the viewing and test riding. it is in very good nick for a 96

zalforce1
18th December 2008, 22:18
yup bike is a 96. and its MINE. picking her up xmas day. I would like to thank bomma for all his help. im sure all of you that know him will agree that he is THE MAN! I really appreciate it brother. Dinner on me as agreed at any time you choose :niceone:

motorbyclist
18th December 2008, 23:34
good price!

though i didn't know they came in blue....