PDA

View Full Version : Rossi vs Bayliss in WSB 2009

racerhead
18th December 2008, 06:27
Wonder if this is true
http://www.visordown.com/motorcyclenews/view/wsb_rossi_v_bayliss__its_on!/6118.html
Could be fun, I'm sure rossi will enjoy the scrapping

vifferman
18th December 2008, 07:44
Here's more of the story (http://moto-racing.speedtv.com/article/wsbk-bayliss-accepts-rossi-challenge-for-the-duel-in-the-desert//P1/).
Apparently Bayliss has agreed to come out of retirement for this one-off event, so it could be all on!

racerhead
18th December 2008, 07:59
That is going to be some race if it does happen:woohoo:

Its funny how Rossi gets these ideas every now and again and just goes after them.

Heard aswell the other day that Michael Shumacher would like to take on Rossi in a race of champions style event that put them up against each other on 2 wheels and 4. Wonder if Rossi will take the bait?

MIXONE
18th December 2008, 08:33
I hope it goes ahead.Would be good viewing.

roy.nz
18th December 2008, 08:43
Ace i cant wait :2guns:

pritch
18th December 2008, 09:17
Umm there was a matchup in 2006, last Moto GP of the season.
Bayliss basically lead from start to finish.

vifferman
18th December 2008, 09:20
Yeah yeah.
Yeah.
But apparently it rankled the Rossi. Coz his bike was shit that year.
"Battle!" he cried, "I need battle! Proper battle, not a complete and utter drubbing!"

I reckon he's ferkt. The New! Improved!! "long bang" R1 will probably be shithouse.

slowpoke
18th December 2008, 09:54

Good point! Bayliss creamed 'em on a fairly unfamiliar bike in both qualifying and the race. If I was Bayliss I'd say "You're only as good as your last race!" and watch 'em burn, haha.

lostinflyz
18th December 2008, 10:48
WSBK is the ultimate battle ground. no bike tends to have much of an advantage and alot of guys can win on their day.

either way im skeptical as ive heard all this before but it certainly is a juicy juicy prospect.

Badjelly
18th December 2008, 12:52
Umm there was a matchup in 2006, last Moto GP of the season. Bayliss basically lead from start to finish.

Bayliss won one of his 50-odd MotoGP races, and he's a better rider than Rossi? :blink:

enigma51
18th December 2008, 13:09
It this happens and rossi wins on the new r1. new R1 sale will go through the roof.

So in that light this might just happen

enigma51
18th December 2008, 13:12
WSBK is the ultimate battle ground. no bike tends to have much of an advantage and alot of guys can win on their day.

either way im skeptical as ive heard all this before but it certainly is a juicy juicy prospect.

unless you are on a petronas or a kwaka

you might as well be walking around the track than be on one of those

vifferman
18th December 2008, 13:54
Bayliss won one of his 50-odd MotoGP races, and he's a better rider than Rossi? :blink:
I think the bike/tyres counts for a lot. Remember Bayliss was on a shitty non-competitive bike apart from the very last one-off ride, which happened to be when Rossi was on a marginally/inconsistently competitive bike.

It this happens and rossi wins on the new r1. new R1 sale will go through the roof.
Hmmmmm.....

"Hey! Rossi!! Ride this bike for us and we'll give you an extra few meeelleeeons in your piggy bank!
Plus you'll get to do BATTLE!
Oh - and did we mention you'll get to ride against those wieners in WSBK? Oh - plus you'll get to go head-to-head against Baylis?
Yes, the fans WILL go wild.
So, you'll do it? Great!!"

racefactory
18th December 2008, 14:47

I agree and this is why i look forward to this. excellent!

lostinflyz
18th December 2008, 14:52
unless you are on a petronas or a kwaka

you might as well be walking around the track than be on one of those

well petronas are long gone and the kwaka was once good. never know one day it may happen for them again.

actually kwaka picked up a few podiums not soo long ago. all they need are some competitive and motivated riders. shall be interesting to see how the new kwaka factory guys go.

enigma51
18th December 2008, 15:00
well petronas are long gone and the kwaka was once good. never know one day it may happen for them again.

actually kwaka picked up a few podiums not soo long ago. all they need are some competitive and motivated riders. shall be interesting to see how the new kwaka factory guys go.

They had laconi no one is more competitive and motivated ..... .that they can afford

AllanB
18th December 2008, 16:23
Soft cocks the pair of them.
I'd take them on on my Hornet and even give myself the handicap of fitting a couple of tight rubber bands around my scrotum and a carrot up my date! :doctor:
I well imagine I'd be passing them on the straight sitting backwards on the Horny doing a power mono, while they both trundle along thinking up their next seasons helmet designs.
I'd have time to stop short of the finish line, sign a couple of brolly-girls boobs, then walk my power-steed over the line (while smoking the rear tyre of course) before either of them appear around the last corner.

Bring it on I say :bleh:

Anyone care to pop around to mine for a touch or carrot soup tonight?

pritch
19th December 2008, 08:00

How you managed to read that from what I wrote God knows:innocent:

The fact is that on the one occasion they met in (relatively) recent history Bayliss did the deed. He was also very convincing in the manner in which he did it.

The event, if it came to pass, would be a must see for sure.

Badjelly
19th December 2008, 08:46
The fact is that on the one occasion they met in (relatively) recent history Bayliss did the deed. He was also very convincing in the manner in which he did it.

Yes, those are facts. If I wanted to start a shitfight about the relative merits of Rossi and Bayliss, there are quite a few other facts I could mention. But I don't. :whistle: Peace, brother.

Cajun
19th December 2008, 14:07
bit more info

The 2009 World Superbike Championship could begin with a bang if plans for an appearance by MotoGP legend Valentino Rossi and a return for retired WSBK Champion Troy Bayliss come to fruition.

According to a number of reports surfacing in Europe, the second round of the season at Losail, Qatar could play host to a remarkable race in which Rossi would ride a WSBK-spec Yamaha R1, while Bayliss would assume his place at Ducati Xerox for one round.

The match up is thought to have been born out of Rossi's claims that WSBK provides more enjoyable racing than MotoGP, something that is set to be reinforced in 2009 by the fact that 31 riders are already confirmed to the Superbike grid, compared to 19 for MotoGP.

Advertisement

According to Spanish publication Solo Moto, it also comes after Bayliss was the surprise winner of the Moto Sprint Rider of the Year award, an accolade normally reserved for Italian riders like Rossi.

Apparently frustrated to have been beaten by Bayliss, Rossi has been motivated to challenge the Aussie rider to a historic duel and reclaim his superiority.

What isn't clear is whether Rossi and Bayliss will go head-to-head or whether they will assume wild-card rides with the remainder of the WSBK field.

There has been no confirmation from either rider or team.

racerhead
20th December 2008, 08:40
Another bit of info, but not the good kind:(

Ducati Xerox team manager Davide Tardozzi claims Troy Bayliss is flattered to have been praised by MotoGP Champion Valentino Rossi, but insists he is not planning on participating in a much speculated head-to-head with him.

Speaking to Crash.net about the rumours of Rossi challenging Bayliss to a duel on Superbikes at Qatar, Tardozzi states that there has been no request to him about preparing a bike for the now retired WSBK Champion.

Reports in Europe claimed a deal had been done for Rossi and Bayliss to race one another at Losail after Bayliss won the Moto Sprint Rider of the Year award over Rossi.

Subsequently, Rossi's praise of Bayliss prompted him to state that he would enjoy challenging him on a Superbike, leading onto reports that a one-off appearance was being mooted.

Even so, regardless of whether this deal would come to fruition, Tardozzi insists it wouldn't happen in Qatar anyway because it would be logistically difficult for Ducati to prepare in time.

"This is something that Valentino said, but Troy was merely honoured, so I don't think it is possible to happen," he said. "If something like that happened then there are many things that would have to be decided first.

"Valentino would like to do it in Qatar, but for us this is not good. We don't want to do exactly what he will want to do, because it won't be possible.

"It is a nice thing though and Troy was very happy to be considered by Valentino as the top guy in Superbikes, so it pleases him that he said that. This is something Valentino wished to do, but while Troy was flattered, nothing has been discussed."