PDA

View Full Version : My epic journey home (my bike is a piece of shit)

Slyer
19th December 2008, 22:25
As most of you will probably know, my ol' ninja has problems.
Its done 90,000k's and still chugs along quite nicely...
When it wants to.
Here is a map of my journey tonight:
http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?f=d&saddr=Mount+St+John+Ave&daddr=Broadway+to:Lower+Domain+Dr+to:Symonds+St+to :Hillsborough+Rd+to:433+Hillsborough+Rd,+Hillsboro ugh,+1042+to:Blockhouse+Bay+Rd+to:Unknown+road+to: North+Western+Mwy+to:North+Western+Mwy+to:Albany+H wy+to:-36.722925,174.688797&hl=en&geocode=FfI6zf0dyO9qCg%3BFTtxzf0dOedqCg%3BFViazf0d HeNqCg%3BFRGqzf0dWcNqCg%3BFc6jzP0d6JNqCg%3B%3BFVr3 zP0ddbppCg%3BFUxmzf0dPsFpCg%3BFSNhzf0dkZ9pCg%3BFel 0zf0dxDdpCg%3BFbxEz_0dQ5xpCg%3B&mra=dme&mrcr=6&mrsp=11&sz=14&via=2,4,6,7&sll=-36.717146,174.686651&sspn=0.05112,0.11158&ie=UTF8&ll=-36.756903,174.71077&spn=0.051093,0.11158&z=14
We start at A, playing in the pool at dilworth, having a good long chat with fish and chips by the garage.
After a while we start talking about this abandoned bike near the uni, we figure we should go investigate.
I know my bike doesn't like the night time, it can take a long time to get running properly. Basically its power is less than half of what it should be until you run it for a while, I believe this is due to one cylinder not running.
The time it takes to get running properly on both cylinders can range from straight away as soon as I switch on the bike or after some revving on a hot day. To 10 kilometres down the road with me revving the shit out of it trying to get any power on a really cold day.
This was one of those bad days.

Knowing this, I start the bike before everyone else to get it warmed up, I ride up the driveway and down the road and then back again on 1 cylinder thinking that yeah it'll come right as soon as I follow these guys for a while.
So I follow them, by B I'm getting sick of the complete lack of power that holds up traffic. We're waiting traffic light at B so I decide it could be a good idea to quickly shut the bike off and start it up again. But it doesn't start, the rest of the bikes take off but dushi comes back to the rescue.
I manage to get it started and we take off to the university.

Along the way on two occasions I hear the sound of PING like a bb gun being fired at a metal wall, I didn't take too much notice of it and thought maybe it was from riding over manhole covers or something else in the background.
We arrive at uni at C and take a look at the abandoned bike, the ignition barrel is missing and the speedo is full of ants. Right. So Andrew phones up to report it.

After we decide it's time to go I start up my bike, it starts to sound better so I am convinced it's running properly now so I take off home hoping the rest of the guys would hear the sound of a GPX running properly. No such luck. I need the bike to get to albany.
I decide to ride out into the suburbs out west more after crossing the motorway and keep riding till I get to D with no luck getting the engine running properly. I let it sit there idling for 5-10minutes hoping getting it hot would get it running properly. But no....

From this point on I still am limping along with very little acceleration or hill climbing ability but add one more thing to the mix, the bike starts backfiring and cutting out.
I checked the fuel, there was at least 1/4 of a tank left with plenty to swish around, so I start thinking this is a fuel problem, not enough fuel getting to the engine due to a lack of pressure pushing the fuel down. The previous owner fitted a aftermarket fuel filter between the tank and the engine so I think this may be at found.

Right then I would have filled up the tank but I hadn't a dollar to spare, I get paid monthly and the paid is to be deposited into my account later on tonight. So I switch to reserve hoping that that it would help because it gets the fuel lower in the tank, didn't help noticibly. So I'm very eager to get home and still confident that I can get her home if I can maintain a high enough speed but she continues to die at every intersection along the way. I've heard the pinging sound a few more times now in addition to the random backfiring. I must have cut out at 10 or so traffic lights/roundabouts by now and starting to be very very unimpressed. The pinging noise I hear every 10 minutes or so is getting to be very concerning also, perhaps I have completely rooting one cylinder and its firing chunks of itself out the exhaust?

I've now decided that the bikes needs an area where it can maintain high speeds long enough to get up to speed so I head for the motorway. Miss the correct turnoff and go around the loop and start heading towards the city. DOH. The bike manages to get to 100kph very slowly and I turn off to loop back around to go west on the motorway. Dies at traffic lights.
I head for the motorway again, I'm riding along at 90kph with the bike backfiring every few seconds so I pull over and let it sit for a little while at E, hoping the fuel will go down the tube somehow and make it flow better.
I take off again and am riding along for a while again when I get to F and suddenly the second cylinder starts kicking back into life.
Kk.....kkkk.....kkkkkkkk..kkkkkkkk BRRRRMMMMM POWAH!!
The engine is now very noticibly different sounding and is now responsive and pulls away very nicely.
The backfiring has now stopped and I blatantly speed all the way to westgate.

I pootle around the new roundabout there and along the 50kph area and then up the north western motorway again. I turn off at the albany turnoff and pull up to some trafficlights now mildly happy. Bike dies.
FUCK YOU BIKE YA FUCKING GRRRRRRR
The saga of before continues, bike cuts out periodically, this time not at traffic lights but even while riding along at 50kph.
All power is lost and I'm forced to pull over... try to start it and fail... wait... wait... try again ok we're going. I do this 5 times before getting to the end of my road. Bike dies so I cruise down my road up my driveway and into the garage.
Thank fucking god.
I've arrived home well over an hour later than I should have and I'm going to thoroughly kick the shit out of my bike tomorrow when I have the energy.

I'm still sure its a fuel problem, more specifically with contaminants or a dodgy fuel filter. Time to pull some things apart tomorrow.

That is my story. I love you GPX, but you're letting me down. Please stop doing this to me.

Edit: Holy shit is this post long.

Slyer
19th December 2008, 22:30
Right, well now it's time for ANGRY MUSIC
I WANT TO BREAK SHIT

Ixion
19th December 2008, 22:31
Been there. Done that. Many many times. All part of life's rich tapestry.

motorbyclist
19th December 2008, 22:31
long post is long.

motorbyclist
19th December 2008, 22:32
we ended up taking scenic drive to get home becauise of you after your text from hillsborough; this of course leads to the question of why the fuck were you out there?

my suggestion to check the coolant was to ensure you had some.

mettalic noises are usually a sign that you should stop and calll a towtruck lest your bike end up like a certain xs250 we all know

EJK
19th December 2008, 23:05
Been there, done that.... well sort of... No coro tomorrow aye... Sad...

bomma
19th December 2008, 23:11
too long, didnt read, hope all goes well with said bike and no "failing to start on broadway" occurs in future. well wishes mate :niceone:

macros87
20th December 2008, 00:03
ahhh points for manning through it... i would hv pulled over and wallowed in my own incompetence to figure out whats wrong with it, hopefully its not hard to fix. by the way what type of bike was the abandoned one?

Slyer
20th December 2008, 00:14
vtr1000 I think

Real_Wolf
20th December 2008, 00:33
I'm reminded of my bike...
started making pinging noises, was running with very little power, seemed like it just wasn't getting enough, cutting out easily.

Squiggles
20th December 2008, 05:28
If its the ping noise i've heard it happens when the second cylinder comes back to life momentarily... might not be tho

Choco
20th December 2008, 05:40
long post is long.

:yes:

Hope your bike fixes up soon!

klyong82
20th December 2008, 07:46
vtr1000 I think

Is it black in colour? Whats going to happen to it?

ital916
20th December 2008, 07:59
on a plus note slyer I did pull a badass u turn to come back for you, how come I was the only one, everyone else boosted haha

ital916
20th December 2008, 08:00
Is it black in colour? Whats going to happen to it?

they towed it this morning :shifty:

JATZ
20th December 2008, 08:11
I think you need to just get rid of it, sounds like the things about stuffed.:devil2:

I'll give ya 5 bucks for it, and you pay the shipping :dodge:

FJRider
20th December 2008, 08:15
I'm still sure its a fuel problem, more specifically with contaminants or a dodgy fuel filter. Time to pull some things apart tomorrow.

There is usually a small filter fitted above the fuel tap. Can be checked by removing said tap from the tank. Give the tank a good flush out/clean at the time, washed pea gravel does a good job of cleaning inside tanks... if you empty them out and miss one it will rattle. Remove fuel gauge float first if it has one. Old inline fuel filters do need changed regulary. Check plugs... scrape clean with flattened wire in all the recesses, and check gaps. If you know how, check jets. If you dont, find someone who does.
Does one COIL do both plugs...??? possible electrical probs too.

Magua
20th December 2008, 10:27
Maybe you've got a dodgy lead to the sparkplug.

Paul in NZ
20th December 2008, 11:31
I've arrived home well over an hour later than I should have and I'm going to thoroughly kick the shit out of my bike tomorrow when I have the energy..

Well that should sort it then.....

Perhaps you could have sorted the bike before riding it? That usually requires a lot less energy...

xwhatsit
20th December 2008, 12:40
Hang on, I thought this bike had known problems before you bought it. In particular, being down on compression in one cylinder. Or am I getting confused with another bike? SMC members have a habit of buying Ninjas that are/will be fucked.

It doesn't sound like fuel being dirty or anything, you say this happens regularly.

Next time you're at Steve's, he's got my compression tester in the third draw down, pull it out and use it. Is the `pinging' just pinking/detonation?

Phurrball
20th December 2008, 12:57
[Words^5] and starting to be very very unimpressed. [Moar snippy]

Edit: Holy shit is this post long.

Award for year's greatest euphemism?

Well done for nursing the beast home Mr S.

Squiggles
20th December 2008, 13:34
they towed it this morning :shifty:

That'd be surprising, someone put rego on it only a couple of months back

Slyer
20th December 2008, 15:39
Well we'n the bike have been through a lot today.
Started her up this morning, went first time and perfectly. <_<
This cylinder problem is clearly related to temperature/time of day.

Anyway, time to fix my fuel problems.
Removed the tank and drained all the fuel, pulled the fuel tap assembly off and had a peek inside.
Holy crap.
The reserve tap was so full of gunk and bits of rusted metal flakes its amazing any fuel went through it at all. So I after a good amount of cleaning scrubbing and flushing out I put it all back together. Remind me not to use the reserve tap...
I put a litre in the fuel tank and shake it around, clang clang clang. Hmmmm.
I managed to get the few "extras" out of the tank and then headed off to cycletreads for a new fuel filter and some fuel line.
Pic #1 is now and Pic #2 is the fuel filter from before.
The old fuel filter setup from the previous owner also had a lot of hose between the tank and the filter, about 5 times as much, it sort of looped around.

Added a litre of fuel and took off to the nearby shell station. No problems.
Fueled up a went riding for an hour. No problems.

So I'm a happy chappy again, bike is running well and I have money to buy fuel and food now. :Punk:

Who wants to take a guess at what was in the fuel tank clunking around? Squiggles? :bleh:

Pic #3 is the highly acclaimed kawasaki backpack, very aerodynamic.

Gubb
20th December 2008, 16:31
Right, well now it's time for ANGRY MUSIC
I WANT TO BREAK SHIT

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/labytsb3gfI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/labytsb3gfI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lIKuXnzuYGs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lIKuXnzuYGs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dqzAK0a8kaw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dqzAK0a8kaw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Slyer
20th December 2008, 18:07
Now, the real decision is should I take the bike down to taranaki on wednesday or the car? Hmmmmm.

Squiggles
20th December 2008, 18:15
You've got AA plus? Doesnt matter either way if you do :P I reckon she'll be right

Slyer
20th December 2008, 18:35
I've set the odometer at last fuelup, I'll go for a largish tour before then and see how long I can get on a tank. It had been quite useless lately but will have to see with the changes.
Will take an extra fuel tank with me. :bleh:

Fixit day tomorrow? Andrew is keen to have a look at it all, and forks need to be done.

Squiggles
20th December 2008, 19:58
Fixit day tomorrow? Andrew is keen to have a look at it all, and forks need to be done.

Can do the forks tomorrow yah

motorbyclist
20th December 2008, 22:34
when the weather clears i have a skid pad to complete

xwhatsit
21st December 2008, 00:43
Oh good. Hope it's sorted. So that low compression Ninja was a different bike?

Slyer
21st December 2008, 07:56
Same bike.

McDuck
21st December 2008, 11:31
I know you have fixed it, what gas have you been running it on? I tryed the 400 on 91 and it didnt like it (i think it was poor quality tho), was being slugish like decribed, filled it up with 98 and it was happy.

Slyer
21st December 2008, 11:35
95 or 98 octane.

McDuck
21st December 2008, 11:37
95 or 98 octane.

From what chain? Mobil has higher standerds

xwhatsit
21st December 2008, 11:38
Same bike.
I think it wouldn't be silly, then, to ascertain exactly what the compression readings are, and if they're low enough to cause immediate concern. Otherwise you'll find that running on two cylinders will be short-lived, and no amount of fiddling around with the carbs and fuelling system will help.

Slyer
21st December 2008, 11:57
I've done 5000k's on it already, I'll ride it till it dies and then get a new motor.

BANZAI
21st December 2008, 12:24
I've done 5000k's on it already, I'll ride it till it dies and then get a new motor.

Perhaps get the new motor now and make sure the motor runs and keep that in your garage till your old one dies.

xwhatsit
21st December 2008, 12:53
Well it may just be something simple like a burnt exhaust valve that you can replace, or a set of piston rings. I appreciate the UMG approach to used bikes, but it's not necessarily economically sensible.

Gubb
21st December 2008, 14:23

Hate to break it to you man, but that is certainly not true.

After 7 years with them, I came out a fair bit wiser.

Slyer
21st December 2008, 16:10
Oh, and mainly shell or caltex.

motorbyclist
21st December 2008, 17:44

tis a shame they don't seem to have any standards regarding water entering their fuel... or making eftpos at pump available during rush hour instead of using prepay

been screwed many a time by mobil fuel

Oh, and mainly shell or caltex.

i fond caltex isn't that bad, but shell will completely foul up my dirtbike motor and call for new plugs within a few hours (less than a tank)

I think it wouldn't be silly, then, to ascertain exactly what the compression readings are, and if they're low enough to cause immediate concern. Otherwise you'll find that running on two cylinders will be short-lived, and no amount of fiddling around with the carbs and fuelling system will help.

that's what i've been saying, especially as i see blue smoke coming from one pipe

but of course, if he fixes the top end the bottom end will let him down

McDuck
21st December 2008, 20:08
Hate to break it to you man, but that is certainly not true.

After 7 years with them, I came out a fair bit wiser.

Or at least when it leaves the tank farm it is.

Other company's will bump poor quality fuel with mixing in some octane booster or high octane fuel to make more money (reject fuel is cheep) where as Mobil will not.....

xwhatsit
21st December 2008, 22:03
that's what i've been saying, especially as i see blue smoke coming from one pipe

but of course, if he fixes the top end the bottom end will let him down
Well how much is a set of piston rings for one cylinder and a head gasket? What makes you think the bottom end is going to go tits-up? Spend a hundred or two now and save half a grand or more later on.

Squiggles
21st December 2008, 22:26
Well at least the forks should be working better now...

Slyer
21st December 2008, 22:27
Yes indeed, love you long time.

Dealer
22nd December 2008, 14:21
This problem sounds very familiar to one i had with my ZZR250, though it was never that severe. It used to splutter and lose power when it was hot. My mechanic said it was worn needle float valves, and very common. Dont know about the ping noise though. Try looking for a 2nd hand but newer carbie on trademe, or bite the bullet and get new parts. But take it to a garage first and ask them to diagnose it for you.

Slyer
22nd December 2008, 14:33
Nope completely different problem!
Problem only happens when cold and my bike never gets close to being hot, cools down too fast.
Anyway, it's running nicely since I fixed up the problem with the fuel.
The problem with the cylinders never causes it to cut out, only hard to get it started.

Hanne
27th December 2008, 07:05
That is my story. I love you GPX, but you're letting me down. Please stop doing this to me.

Time for a few rider/ vehicle counselling sessions methinks:spanking:

Reido
27th December 2008, 13:34
so tell us what was rattling in the tank already???

Slyer
27th December 2008, 16:33
Our last failed attempt at sealing it.
(Some twat had overtightened some bolts on it (or used longer ones) and punctured the tank where the screws are.)
Anyway, bike got me to taranaki and back no worries.