PDA

View Full Version : Valve spring compression tool.

Magua
23rd December 2008, 18:52
Where can I find/buy one of these? I have some head work to do (valve stem seals).

98tls
23rd December 2008, 18:54
Try pming Sarge, a member on here,makes a living outta tools and very good service indeed.Sure he will have what your after at a good price.

Ixion
23rd December 2008, 18:55
Valve spring compressors oftrn are problematic on bikes, cos of small valves and not much room around them. I've always just used a large open ended spanner and some elbow. (wodge the valve head obviously)

Max Preload
23rd December 2008, 19:39
Where can I find/buy one of these? I have some head work to do (valve stem seals).

Head on or off?

Magua
23rd December 2008, 20:00
Head will be off.

SARGE
23rd December 2008, 20:04

in stock..

http://www.sulco.co.nz/Product?Action=View&Product_id=1276

98tls
23rd December 2008, 20:29
in stock..

http://www.sulco.co.nz/Product?Action=View&Product_id=1276 knew you would have something,if i needed one i would be in,easily make the purchase price back in beers as a loaner.:innocent:

SARGE
23rd December 2008, 20:32
knew you would have something,if i needed one i would be in,easily make the purchase price back in beers as a loaner.:innocent:

thats a bloody nice unit too..

KB gets 15% off or free shipping..

camchain
24th December 2008, 13:15
There's nothing like having the proper tools - always the best way to do any fiddly job. But you can do it on the cheap if you have to. This is just how I happened to do it, so not claiming to be an expert.

I made a collet remover out of some aluminium tube the right size to suit my valve springs. I cut holes in it for collet access. To compress the spring I used a wood clamp (Pack of 3 from Placemakers) and an ali packer on face of valve so clamp would fit over combustion chamber recess. Once spring is compressed, A tap on the head with soft hammer usually loosens the collets enough to drop out.

If you end up replacing the valve guides as well (like I did), put the head in the oven before trying to drive the old guides out. (Think I heated to around 150 deg)

Head back into oven, and new guides into freezer before inserting. You have to work fairly quickly as heat transfer to cold guides happens fast. I used a little copper anti-seize. I made up a little aluminium button to fit onto end of guide to avoid damage from using a drift directly on the guide end. There is a very sharp edge that is easily damaged. As it was, one guide end needed a little hone with wet and dry to clean up as was a touch tight right at the very end/edge. Photo shows button had deformed a fair bit but it did it's job OK.

The seals on mine were awkward little buggers to fit as not much contact area to ensure perfectly square on valve. I pressed them on using a small socket over the end.

Squiggles
25th December 2008, 08:55
Andrew (motorbyclist) has one, it might fit yours

motorbyclist
26th December 2008, 12:00
yeah i've got a clamp sort that fits an XR200 head (and all hondas around there), and can do a GN250 with a bit of fiddling. It's a big clamp sort of thing like sarge's but with a vice-grip like mechanism on it so you adjust for size, lock it on and wind her up from there... i've got various lapping sticks and compound too

and i've seen a "universal" puller at waitemata hydraulics for $70 but might be a bit big for some bikes - it compresses the spring itself withough reaching around the head like the clamp sort does

xwhatsit
26th December 2008, 13:57
For a small bike like that, can't you just do it by hand and get somebody else to snatch the collets out while you Chuck Norris the valve spring? I know it worked on my 250, and you've got two sets of cylinders with smaller valves, so they wouldn't be that stiff, would they? Maybe my valve springs are just knackered.

pete376403
27th December 2008, 22:32
Did the valves on a yamaha FZR1000 without a compressor - put a socket or tube over the top of the valve spring and give a good tap with a plastic hammer - when the spring goes down the collets pop out into the socket.
Putting it back together I just used thumb pressure, they are wimpy little springs anyway (just so bloody many of them - 20 valves)

valvetool
30th December 2008, 13:15
after 20 years in the reco industry I invented this tool to do exactly this job

check it out

http://valvetool.com.au

after using this tool you will never go back to the old way ( clamps)

This is a must have tool

k14
30th December 2008, 13:23
I just welded a washer onto a piece of 10mm rod and used the drill press at work. Easy as to use and works fine. I did it on my CB125 head, just have to get the right size washer and its a piece of piss.

xwhatsit
30th December 2008, 13:29
after 20 years in the reco industry I invented this tool to do exactly this job

check it out

http://valvetool.com.au

after using this tool you will never go back to the old way ( clamps)

This is a must have tool
Holy hell, I just saw that Youtube video (http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=jGS3864CguU) of yours, how the hell did that work?

That's very cool.

Ixion
30th December 2008, 13:31
But will it get the little buggers out? I find getting them out more of a task than putting them back.

xwhatsit
30th December 2008, 13:33
But will it get the little buggers out? I find getting them out more of a task than putting them back.
That was the first bit, wasn't it? With the white `removal tool'. He just sort of twisted it and it went *BANG* and there you go. Hard to tell, the video isn't great and what a funny looking cylinder head.

k14
30th December 2008, 14:10
That was the first bit, wasn't it? With the white `removal tool'. He just sort of twisted it and it went *BANG* and there you go. Hard to tell, the video isn't great and what a funny looking cylinder head.
I think that was a head from a mx bike (250 or 450??). But yes, the video doesn't really give much info away. Wonder if the guy can explain it a bit better?

Motu
30th December 2008, 15:24
They have been around a while now - most engine shops and workshops have them.Most multivalve car engines are the same as bike engines,with the valve springs recessed and impossible to get at.Not worth farting around with silly little keepers and a valve spring compressor if you are being paid by the hour to assemble a 24 valve head.I sold mine with my business - another one of those things I didn't toss in my own toolbox and pretend we didn't have.