PDA

View Full Version : Clutch cable replacement gt250r

Hiflyer
27th December 2008, 13:56
This is a continuation of "my hyobag doesn't play nice" but only one specific thing has happened.

On xmas mornin, yup that is right, the clutch cable snapped at just under 12000km's, now I am just about to go and get the bike brought back to my place cos there arent any dealerships open today or tomorrow,

but i was wondering, would it be best to replace the able myself with guidance from fellow bikers? or is it too much and i should get a pro to fix it?
i still need to order in a cable, and i DONT want a stock hyo cable! hahawhat is a good replacement? and should i do it myself?

Gubb
27th December 2008, 17:41
Do it yourself, it's easy as.

I'm on the Shore if you need any help.

MyGSXF
27th December 2008, 17:48
Hiya

Had to replace my clutch cable last week!! :eek:

Took my old cable into 'Safe R Brakes' in ChCh.. & the next day picked up a brand spanking puuuurdy new one for the small sum of $65!! :Punk: & one of the awesome KBrs in ChCh fitted it on for me!! :first:

Tis a DIY job, no need for a shop & you've already had an offer of help!! :niceone: sorted! :rockon:

God I love KB! :love:

Hiflyer
27th December 2008, 18:36
Do it yourself, it's easy as.

I'm on the Shore if you need any help.

Thanks alot man! I'll see how i go, i have to get a new one first, but i aint getting a shitty one! haha nooo way. Need new sprockets and chain but that can come with the next service,

I was just having a look at the connection at the gearbox end, (the clutch lever end was esy cos that was already snapped off) and its a bit confuddling,

you got any way of xplaining it in dummy terms :baby: ? cos greenlane is a long way from the shore haha

Magua
27th December 2008, 20:33
Take your cable into Robinson instruments in Onehunga, they'll make a new inner up for about $30.

Ixion
27th December 2008, 20:48
How often have you lubricated it? Bowden cable is a standard thing. Unless you go to the next size up (brake cable size) any cable will have the same strength.And, like as not, the same life expectancy .

Premature cable failure is almost always due to either maladjustment or lack of regular lubrication.

It is not that hard to ride a bike without a clutch cable, BTW, especially a 250.

Hiflyer
27th December 2008, 21:57
How often have you lubricated it? Bowden cable is a standard thing. Unless you go to the next size up (brake cable size) any cable will have the same strength.And, like as not, the same life expectancy .

Premature cable failure is almost always due to either maladjustment or lack of regular lubrication.

It is not that hard to ride a bike without a clutch cable, BTW, especially a 250.

I'd like to learn how to do that! hahaha especially taking off from lights!

itd be fun to learn

Squiggles
1st January 2009, 16:26
fixed? </10char>

Hiflyer
1st January 2009, 16:56
fixed? </10char>

Yes actually, forgot to update you guys, i bought two cables from mt eden motorcycles, 1 as a spare under my seat and the other is now powering me along.

went to hamilton and back today cos i was bored and there are no problems as of yet

DarkLord
20th January 2009, 20:40
Can anyone recommend a good lubricant for the clutch cable? I've tried using chain lube, which I kinda use for all lube-related issues on the bike but it doesn't really work lol....any special type of oil you need or anything?

BTW, how on earth do you ride without a clutch cable?? I tried and couldn't even get the bike to move....:doh:

Max Preload
20th January 2009, 20:59
Can anyone recommend a good lubricant for the clutch cable? I've tried using chain lube, which I kinda use for all lube-related issues on the bike but it doesn't really work lol....any special type of oil you need or anything?

I used to use graphite powder or a light oil like the Singer sewing machine one. I wouldn't use chain lube - it's too gooey (that's a technical term) and every bit of dust will stick to it.

BTW, how on earth do you ride without a clutch cable?? I tried and couldn't even get the bike to move....:doh:

See here (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=34427&highlight=clutchless).

Icemaestro
20th January 2009, 21:26
I just used CRC...did a good job - and smoothed the sticky throttle out too (and it cleans contacts if you wanna clean out switches etc ;-)

DarkLord
20th January 2009, 21:37
Thank you, Maestro of Ice. Some CRC, I shall get.

Icemaestro
28th January 2009, 05:53
Haha :-) work good?

Pwalo
28th January 2009, 06:36

FWIW Silkolene do a grapited spray (thinks it's called Silkolene Silkopen - or some such naff name), which works pretty well.

DarkLord
30th January 2009, 13:48
CRC seems to be doing the job. Bertie seems much happier with me now that I've gone around and CRC'd lots of his moving parts. :)

Icemaestro
31st January 2009, 22:58
Sweet :-D haha bertie. love it, what should I name my lil old oil leaking beast?