PDA

View Full Version : Is there a thread for the minimoto meetings? + a few questions

motorbyclist
2nd January 2009, 12:03
Well i've got my pocket rocket - a b1 rep? the air cooled chinese ones

it's running reasonably reliably....

the rest of the uni bike club is slowly growing our "fleet".....

but apart from car parks, we've nowhere properly to race! i had a website for a lot of mt wellington stuff and rules but my pc had some "Issues" and lost it

other questions:

can i get an 'aftermarket' carby and still conform to the rules? the stock one (and fuel/air filter) is so poorly built and so frequently a problem i'm getting fed up with it

what needs to be covered with nylon to protect the track - i've already made nylon pegs and the stand is going to get cut off next time it breaks but do i need to make caps for the axle nuts?

the plastic intake manifold/reed block is so soft the bolts 'sink' into it and i'm pretty sure i have an air leak around there - any solutions? washers only slowed the problem and if i do the bolts any looser they rattle out

how many hours until the top/bottom end needs rebuilding? i've done a fair few on it but never had a proper power band like my mate's identical machine has had since out of the box - also how thin can the base gasket go? i've got fairly thin gasket paper and think a bit moar compression might help;)

my front end has made a noise since i got it - frequency matches speed, does it while off the ground if you hold it right but otherwise only while riding: what size are the front bearings, or is this possibly a brake disc issue

and solutions to the front brakes: they are a little less effective than i'd like and the cable just stretches and stretches

edit: also, i've found the pull cord from an old stihl chainsaw to be pretty good along with not pulling the thing right out and finding the fault rather than pulling for hours on end, but is there a better way or cord to start the bike? it has snapped once since installing it and that always ruins the day

Leyton
2nd January 2009, 14:19
Hello

For all the rules and regs goto : http://www.nzmmrc.co.nz

:)

As for the track protection

Bubbly Corks in the handle bars are a very good idea, Nylon foot pegs are a requirement.

Cut that stand off :) (It will touch the ground when you start to get good at cornering). You can put Nylon on the end of your axles, they seldom touch, however it would REALLY keep the host's of the tracks very happy and do good for the sport :)

As for the front disk rubbing. Depending on your brakes in the front, just ensure that the calipers can float nicely over the disk and that there is no tight spots. Use wash's if you have too :)

Also.. you could try turning the rim around and putting the brake on the other side incase its just not a perfect rim.

I am not really too fussed about what noise's the brakes make as long as they are reliable, ware well and do the job. These chinease copys are far from perfect :)

Many and most advice can be given at the track, there is always a large handfull willing to offer suggestions and advice to those starting out :)

Leyton