PDA

View Full Version : TL1000R owners

gixxer-king
7th January 2009, 15:12
For people with older TL1000R's just to let you know that recently I had a problem with my poor bike not wanting to start. Checked a ton of different avenues before going for the obvious (actually bike led me to believe there are a number of problems but none related to starting)
Check your clutch engage switch and file the contacts periodically.
Wasnt cool having to jump start the bike (B+ ----> Starter) because of corroded switches.
also a hint some may want to block or disconnect the tip over switch.
Had another problem with that. Would rather my bike start then risk it thinking it was lying down and turning the fuel pump off on me.

hope this can help someone.

imdying
8th January 2009, 13:40
Try over at the zone, I've read a few threads on it there. I believe there's a common mod to reroute all of the earth connection which is purportedly worth doing.

Squiggles
8th January 2009, 13:41
The red? wire to which goes into the starter relay can get damaged and have the same effect (this is the clutch one), i've cut the wire, and the part going into the relay is now grounded against the frame... this has the effect of the ECU not running the neutral map but the clutch switch is no longer required for the bike to start

sedge
8th January 2009, 16:02
The red? wire to which goes into the starter relay can get damaged and have the same effect (this is the clutch one), i've cut the wire, and the part going into the relay is now grounded against the frame... this has the effect of the ECU not running the neutral map but the clutch switch is no longer required for the bike to start

Yup, happened on my old TLS, burnt out the connector block eventually, pain in the arse to re-wire it. I think the seat actually sat on the wire and wiggled it, eventually it became really obvious, the bike would cut out as I was riding along and then pop back in... Repeat. Great fun on corners !

I thought I had throttle control issues, I did, slightly cutting ignition, crank the trottle to keep the bike off the road, wham throttle back on, run wide, off, on... Joy.

Cheers,

Sedge.

gixxer-king
9th January 2009, 10:31
jesus some of these are just dangerous. i thought not starting was bad enough. never had a cut out problem with it though thank god.