PDA

View Full Version : Fantail stuck in house... advice?

skidMark
9th January 2009, 12:30
A fan tail has flown into the house and is up in the rafters (A frame house)

It keeps smacking on the window trying to get out...only a young one, i cant get hold of the darn thing, nor do i want to hurt it...

We left the room for a while but its still doing the same thing.

Any advice much appreciated, dont want it doing its head in on the window.

Skid.

jetboy
9th January 2009, 12:35
do you want it to be alive when it gets outside?

NOMIS
9th January 2009, 12:37
you know, in Maori culture when a fantail flys into your home its believed a loved one is close to death. something like that any ways. probally just have to let it find its own way out , or knock its self out from flying into windows to hard

skidMark
9th January 2009, 12:37
do you want it to be alive when it gets outside?

Well yeah it is a NZ icon after all, if it was a black bird or sumthing i wouldve just shot it.

skidMark
9th January 2009, 12:38
you know, in Maori culture when a fantail flys into your home its believed a loved one is close to death. something like that any ways. probally just have to let it find its own way out , or knock its self out from flying into windows to hard

Ahhh thanks i think? :bye:

Blossom
9th January 2009, 12:39
Close all your curtains and doors, just leave the outside door or a window open and without a curtain over it. Gently herd the bird toward the exit and it should find its way out. If you do need to catch it, use a tea towel to cover the bird first and then gently pick it up.
good luck.
We have one that comes in every day.. we call it the wendy bird. It also just pecks on the glass of the ranch slider... weird.

Madness
9th January 2009, 12:40
If you have to handle it to assist it with it's bid for freedom, use a towel.

Using a light bath towel will reduce the likelyhood of stressing it & increase your chances of catching it. Simply cover it with the towel, then gently gather it up and release outside by placing on the ground before uncovering it.

Nasty
9th January 2009, 12:40

I had one follow me into a girlfriends house before Grub died .. I shoed it out but it followed my in again a few times ....

We thought it was my girlfriends mother in law or grubs mum who would be going .... we were wrong. :(

imdying
9th January 2009, 13:00
Entice the neighbours cat over with some treats, then close it in the room with the fantail.

ManDownUnder
9th January 2009, 13:02
Get a cork and a bottle, open a door and stand outside out of sight.

Squeek the end of the cork on the bottle - with a few goes you'll get it sounding like the "chatter" of a fantail and it'll come out to investigate.

I'd open all the windows etc in the house to increase sheer chance getting it out of the house too.

Murray
9th January 2009, 13:05
Turn any lights on that are down lower because its heading for light. leave all windows you can wide open and it will eventually fly out. If it doe's knock it self out and you catch it you have to spit on the back of its head before releasing it. Sorry to say this but if it dies inside the house it is a bad omen!!

skidMark
9th January 2009, 13:08
Turn any lights on that are down lower because its heading for light. leave all windows you can wide open and it will eventually fly out. If it doe's knock it self out and you catch it you have to spit on the back of its head before releasing it. Sorry to say this but if it dies inside the house it is a bad omen!!

It flew out by its own accord, crisis averted lol

Number One
Fantails are beautiful but the whole myth about them providing an early warning of death is creepy. TAKE CARE Skid!

Trumpess
Close all your curtains and doors, just leave the outside door or a window open and without a curtain over it. Gently herd the bird toward the exit and it should find its way out. If you do need to catch it, use a tea towel to cover the bird first and then gently pick it up.
good luck.
We have one that comes in every day.. we call it the wendy bird. It also just pecks on the glass of the ranch slider... weird.

Great idea Blossom. I shall keep that for future reference.
we have a very nosey friendly thrush bird that does this to us!

If its high in the rafters perhaps a butterfly net to catch him?

FlangMasterJ
9th January 2009, 13:09
Black Flag. :yes:

MAC_HATER
9th January 2009, 13:17
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i-Eht5-JSQ

OR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8hlj4EbdsE

either of these would have sorted the problem :yes:

Sully60
9th January 2009, 13:24

Yep, and turn the volume up. Angry music at volume has proven very effective at getting birds to leave my place in the past:angry:

Naki Rat
9th January 2009, 13:25

I wouldn't be too worried about the death thing. When living on an orchard in the Bay of Plenty we should have been waist deep in dead friends if the number of fantails coming into the house was any indication.

Used to get the cats pretty motivated, but they very rarely were sucessfull in catching them. I think the fantails just enjoyed winding the cats up and then pissing off outside again :chase:

vifferman
9th January 2009, 13:31
Fantails are beautiful but the whole myth about them providing an early warning of death is creepy.
Yes, it's a superstitious myth from a stone-age culture, and should be put in the same bucket as black cats running across your path, breaking a mirror bringing 7 years of bad luck, etc etc.

Big Dave
9th January 2009, 13:38
Glad it's resolved - I would have opened the window. <_<

Big Dave
9th January 2009, 13:39
Yes, it's a superstitious myth from a stone-age culture, and should be put in the same bucket as black cats running across your path, breaking a mirror bringing 7 years of bad luck, etc etc.

I agree. Touch wood.

The Pastor
9th January 2009, 13:42
I have an air riffle...

Number One
9th January 2009, 13:54
Yeah I guess you are right but I still won't say *Candyman* in the mirror three times either cos that movie scared the bejesus outta me! :lol: I do however stand on cracks in the pavement ;)

fire eyes
9th January 2009, 14:00
hmmm .. yes there are stories about the fantail as being the messengers of death. Iv never had specifically the fantail fly into my house though so can niether disregard nor confirm. Although if it did Id definitely be taking note of whats going on around me.

A suggestion: if a bird flies into your house, open the doors and the windows and ask it to leave. Has worked for me many times, for birds, wasps, bumble bees & wetas.

PrincessBandit
9th January 2009, 14:01
Yeah I guess you are right but I still won't say *Candyman* in the mirror three times either cos that movie scared the bejesus outta me! :lol: I do however stand on cracks in the pavement ;)

:laugh: That was such a cool movie ay?
We've had fantails in our house heaps of times too and never had the death thing, even though one was in our lounge for ages while we tried to herd it out. How can something so cute and cheeky be a death icon? I love hearing them chatter at me while gardening and disturbing all the little flying bugs for them.

skidMark
9th January 2009, 14:05

Can we put treaty of waitangi there too?

NOMIS
9th January 2009, 14:20
lol I dont actually believe the "fantail" theory. a story created out of coincidence . however im not going to bag thoes who belive it. so skid the bird gone yet? usually your number one at scaring "birds" away

Mom
9th January 2009, 14:27

No that only sort of works with rats :yes:

Ask Maha :dodge:

spookytooth
9th January 2009, 14:35
the fantail and death thing is because of the dead being keeped inside for a bit before tossing them in the ground,dead peeps tend to attract flies,fantails happen to like to eat flies

Maha
9th January 2009, 14:50

Tried that once on a rat....I just made the fucker angry....:rockon:

Edit: Damn, I see Mom has already spilled!

Colapop
9th January 2009, 14:52
Use a shotgun - if you miss there'll be a hole in the roof it can fly out of...

oldrider
9th January 2009, 15:10
good luck.

The young birds see their reflection in the glass and are trying to make out with it. :love:

We all probably got a little confused untill we found our way around, it's called "streetwise". :rolleyes: or growing up. :lol: Cheers John.

MIXONE
9th January 2009, 15:32
Take one double barreled shot gun.

Place the end with the two holes in it under your chin.

Pull the triggers.

Promise, fucken fantail will never be a worry again.

And I thought assisted suicide was against the law.:blink::laugh:

FJRider
9th January 2009, 15:40
have you tried opening the window...

_STAIN_
9th January 2009, 15:48

ment to use bic lighter and can of black flag

piston broke
9th January 2009, 17:47
ahhh so it's only mice that you run away from then :eek::eek:

:msn-wink:

Manxman
9th January 2009, 18:30
Fantails are beautiful but the whole myth about them providing an early warning of death is creepy. TAKE CARE Skid!

Skid? Skid?

Ya there man?
Oh no, Sk i i i i i i i d !!!!

Maha
9th January 2009, 19:40
ahhh so it's only mice that you run away from then :eek::eek:

Yes yes very funny Mark.....:2guns:
You may have seen it first hand but I think I was an Elephant in a former life...:shifty:

piston broke
9th January 2009, 19:48
[QUOTE
You may have seen it first hand but I think I was an Elephant in a former life...:shifty:[/QUOTE]
yep it was freakin huge eh.
those teeth's were sooo threatening:sweatdrop

SixPackBack
9th January 2009, 19:48
You post utter crap the majority of the time skidmark.
Just an observation!

Shadows
10th January 2009, 18:41

Good thing you he ain't Maori

pritch
10th January 2009, 18:48
I wouldn't be too worried about the death thing.

These things vary around the country but I think the Taranaki version is that if the fantail flies in one end of the house and out the other that's bad news.

I don't have more than my fair share of suntan, but if I get a fantail inside I chase it out the way it came. You just never know...

klingon
10th January 2009, 21:28

I don't mind cracks in the footpath but it's definitely bad luck to ride over the painted lines on the road. :yes: