PDA

View Full Version : Rossi heading for WSB (for real)

racerhead
11th January 2009, 09:16
Multiple MotoGP champion Valentino Rossi is lining up a ride alongside Ben Spies at the Qatar World Superbike round in March, say sources inside the Yamaha Italia factory.

There has been much speculation in recent months regarding Rossi's comments about WSB being far more exciting than MotoGP and the fact he wanted to race Troy Bayliss in a one-off event at Misano.

The news that Rossi could partner former three-times AMA Champion Spies on the 2009 big-bang R1 is sure to swell advance ticket sales at the desert track, which usually hosts 13 spectators for both WSB and MotoGP.

How the Italian factory would work a two or three-man team for the event is subject to speculation because ex-BSB man Tom Sykes will be very reluctant to give up his ride to allow Rossi in.

NZsarge
11th January 2009, 09:32
If they do pull it off it's gonna be awesome!

I'm motarded
11th January 2009, 09:57
That's going to be aswsome, but really what are the chances?????

Nori on the factory Duke vs Rossi on Yamaha vs Biaggi on Aprillia etc

Wicked!!!

Buster
11th January 2009, 10:14
With teams tightening the purse strings in motoGP maybe Rossi is looking for another ride? Does he know something we dont ? Interesting times for sure.

MotoGP could be on shakey ground already :shit:

If this race goes ahead it will we wicked!!

James Deuce
11th January 2009, 10:50
This one off appearance has been lined up for months.

erik
11th January 2009, 11:24
The news that Rossi could partner former three-times AMA Champion Spies on the 2009 big-bang R1 is sure to swell advance ticket sales at the desert track, which usually hosts 13 spectators for both WSB and MotoGP.

13 spectators? :blink:

Drew
11th January 2009, 11:33

Slightly exagerated figure on the low side, meant to show the lack of ticket sales of the event. There were at least 23 people watching this event last year.

MIXONE
11th January 2009, 11:54
I agree with the comment that WSB is more exciting and if this goes ahead I'll be one happy camper for sure.

unrealone
11th January 2009, 13:29
So it's just a once off for now.. maybe Rossi will get hooked ;)

Drew
11th January 2009, 15:06
So it's just a once off for now.. maybe Rossi will get hooked ;)
Dunno if the prospect of riding a less powerfull/capable bike is what he's barred up for.

The way things are going with GP, he might not have a choice for that much longer though.

pritch
11th January 2009, 18:51

Yeah, that's why they ran the MotoGP in the dark, nobody could see that the stands were empty. Or that the carpark was barely distinguishable from the surrounding desert...

Wingnut
12th January 2009, 19:01
In comparison maybe the Nationals was not such a bad turn out in the spectator dept. after all then.

skidMark
12th January 2009, 19:21
I agree with the comment that WSB is more exciting and if this goes ahead I'll be one happy camper for sure.

Brokeback mountain. :shutup:

Cleve
13th January 2009, 11:13
Yeah, that's why they ran the MotoGP in the dark, nobody could see that the stands were empty. Or that the carpark was barely distinguishable from the surrounding desert...

I went to the last day time MotoGP in Qatar 2 years ago. There were more than 13 people there... maybe 16 + me... no seriously, it was a weird GP. Plus there is only the ONE small stand around the whole track. Along the main straight. You can't get to any corners or anywhere else on the track.

vifferman
13th January 2009, 12:06
I don't get it, Racerhead - how come you started this thread when you'd already created virtually the same thread (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=88403) nearly a month ago? :confused:

MIXONE
13th January 2009, 12:41
Brokeback mountain. :shutup:

Here I was thinking the trip down south had taught you a few manners and altered your attitude but no back to your fuckwit ways it is.

quickbuck
13th January 2009, 19:14
Slightly exagerated figure on the low side, meant to show the lack of ticket sales of the event. There were at least 23 people watching this event last year.

Come on now, that is a BIG difference..... wish people would sort their facts out ;)