PDA

View Full Version : 2004 GSXR1000 problem

RSrider
12th January 2009, 07:44
Hi People,

I have a 2004 GSXR1000 K4. Its done a few kms (45000) but is in mint condition and runs really well (most of the time).

The issue I have had since buying it is the F1 light keeps coming up on the dash and pulling code C46 (Exhaust Control Valve Actuator). Now, the bike runs a full Yoshi Tri-Oval system. Apparently it is quite common for this code to come up with such an aftermarket exhaust.

I have now owned the bike for 2 months and the bike has pulled the same code 4 times. It has been into thr shop twice, both times they have lubed the cables in the exhaust which open the butterflies, cleared the fault code and returned it to me. The last time they did this was on Friday, the fault code has now returned today (monday) and I have only ridden it once (15km ride).

I have rung the bike shop who have informed me that I probably need new cables fitted. I have argued with them that this is the 3rd time it has been in for the same fault, and that I shouldnt have to pay for the fitting of the cables which should have been done earlier (anyway thats another story).

Does anyone with some knowledge on these bikes think they are missing something else that may be causing the error code, or has anyone had similar issues?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Rory

nodrog
12th January 2009, 07:49
i thought a full yoshi system wouldnt have the exhaust valve in it?

Cajun
12th January 2009, 07:49
there is a wire you can pull from the ecu to stop this from happening, it think

give me few mins i see if i can find it

nodrog
12th January 2009, 07:52
there is a wire you can pull from the ecu to stop this from happening, it think

give me few mins i see if i can find it

its the brown/black wire on the ecu plug.

Cajun
12th January 2009, 07:55
its the brown/black wire on the ecu plug.

yup thats the one, wanted to find some pictures

RSrider - http://www.bugmanweb.com/gsxr/exhaustset.html look for the 03-04 section it tells you what pin to pull from the ecu and it should fix the issue.

RSrider
12th January 2009, 08:00
Hey Guys, thanks for the info. Ill give it a try.

What is actually causing it to pull this code though? And why is my bike shop telling me (in fact they are adamant) that it is the cables?

Cajun
12th January 2009, 08:06
cause c46 is set valve, means the set valve is not working correctly.

and if you have a full yoshi(not just a slip on) system the set valve shouldn't even be there

the set vavle is a butterfly unit in the exhust headers. which there to help with power at lower revs or some rubbish like that.

nodrog
12th January 2009, 08:08
Hey Guys, thanks for the info. Ill give it a try.

What is actually causing it to pull this code though? And why is my bike shop telling me (in fact they are adamant) that it is the cables?

has it actually got the exhaust valve still hooked up in the exhaust? or is the valve motor just hanging loose? the code usually comes up when the cables have been disconected or the motor removed for fitment of an aftermarket exhaust system.

saul
12th January 2009, 08:23
Find the two wire harnesses that lead over to the SET servo. One has three wires connected to a white plastic connector -- Just unplug this one and leave it alone. The colors of the three wires should be Y, R, and B/Br.
You will notice another plastic connector that has only 2 wires. Those wires are colored R/B and B/R. Cut off the white plastic connector and throw it away. Now twist those two wires together. Don't be afraid to twist these together - this is absolutely correct, and will not hurt your bike. If you do not do this, the bike will have a C46 error code, and run in error mode, so make sure you do not forget this step. Then cover the twisted, connected wires with electrical tape. Do read on in the bugman run down its very good.

Wonder what the bike shop is doing?

PS go the Tauranga team :-)

RSrider
12th January 2009, 08:33
Having second thoughts on whether its a full system now. How can I be sure? it may just be a slip-on.

Cajun
12th January 2009, 08:35
Having second thoughts on whether its a full system now. How can I be sure? it may just be a slip-on.

check your header pipe look up the inside side of fairing
side with rear brake and see if you can see if you can see some wires etc heading in to the exhaust headers, in some fashion.

Cajun
12th January 2009, 08:38
if you look at this picture

http://www.mcnews.com.au/NewBikeCatalogue/2001/Suzuki/GSXRimages/GSXR1000_Donkb_600p.jpg

if you look at the last bit of exhaust you can see a little valve in it, this is controled by the set vavle by some metal cables (which is throwing code c46)

imdying
12th January 2009, 08:40
check your header pipe look up the inside side of fairing
side with rear brake and see if you can see if you can see some wires etc heading in to the exhaust headers, in some fashion.Yup, on the outside side of the big exhaust tube that the muffler bolts to, there's a bit that sticks out that the SET valve shaft goes into. That's a shit description I know, but the SET valve should be pretty obvious.

RSrider
12th January 2009, 08:42
Ok, pretty sure its just a slip on. Can't see the wires you talk of, but after lookig at photos of full systems the pipe and muffler seem to be one in the same, whereas on mine there are three bolts mounting the pipe to the muffler. Also there is some sort of potrusion from the area in the diagram above, which is probably the SET valve you talk of. So this makes it a whole different story??

RSrider
12th January 2009, 12:30
Well....after trauling the net and finding rediculous amounts of people with this same issue I have decided to remove this butterfly system from the exhaust. Suzuki claims a loss of power down low, and other things. But from people's experience removing them they get 2hp more on average through midrange, slightly louder exhaust note and a tiny loss of power down low.

Cajun
12th January 2009, 12:35
sweet as RSrider, so you only have a slip on/bolt on system and not a full exhaust system then?

good luck

RSrider
12th January 2009, 12:43
Yeah I just assumed it was a full system. I've only owned the bike for 2 months, so hadnt even really had a good look at it until this morning. But it's definitely just a slip-on tri-oval. Will let you know how it runs after removing it. Thanks for your help.

SPman
12th January 2009, 14:43
But it's definitely just a slip-on tri-oval. . A bolt on, actually........

RSrider
14th January 2009, 20:58
Well had the EXVC removed/disconnected today and had the Signal wire disconnected as per Yoshimura instructions. Bike seems to run better without it in there, and sounds a bit throatier also. Doesn't seem to be running lean or blowing smoke either. Beats having that damn red light staring at me every f*ckn morning!

Pussy
15th January 2009, 08:34
The SET can be a bastard to set up. Sometimes there is an intermittant fault in the servo motor itself (as there was in my latest gixxer, the K6 750... SNZ replaced the servo under warranty).
Glad you've got the problem sorted!