PDA

View Full Version : Volty 250 (tu 250 )

jesska
12th January 2009, 14:36
hi guys - I got an oldish volty -

sometimes when it's going up a hill it feels like the clutch is in bit - it's usually in 4th gear or 5th - tho occasionally in 3rd

it doesnt happen every time - does this mean my clutch is breaking..

I tried adjusting the handle bar - but not sure which way to go

any hints? I dont want it to break completely

thanks!

jess

vifferman
12th January 2009, 14:48
It feels like the clutch is in a bit? So it's slipping?
It's more'n likely OK. To adjust it, loosen the knurled wheel (largest diameter) nearest the lever by turning it anticlockwise, then while holding it, wind the other knurled thingo (smaller diameter) in (clockwise). Then tighten the largest diameter one again by winding it clockwise while holding the smaller diameter one. Try it, and if it's still being naughty, repeat.
Note that this will shift the take-up point of the clutch (you'll have to let the lever out a wee bit further before it bites).

TygerTung
17th January 2009, 10:39
Just wind the adjuster in so that the clutch cable has a little bit of freeplay, maybe 1mm. You will notice that from the cable being tight, the lever will be reasonably solid on the mount, well, it will become a bit more loose when you back it off.

MSTRS
17th January 2009, 11:46
Note that this will shift the take-up point of the clutch (you'll have to let the lever out a wee bit further before it bites).

Nup. Doing what you said (good advice btw) is introducing some slack in the cable, so the lever will be closer to the grip when it bites/disengages.
On an old bike such as this, it is likely that the fibre/cork plates are nearing the end of their life. New plates will solve the issue.
HOWEVER - if one is lucky, a light sanding of the surfaces on those plates may just give it a new lease of life.
Warning...a simple job, but not to be attempted by the mechanically challenged.

dino3310
17th January 2009, 12:12
Nup. Doing what you said (good advice btw) is introducing some slack in the cable, so the lever will be closer to the grip when it bites/disengages.
On an old bike such as this, it is likely that the fibre/cork plates are nearing the end of their life. New plates will solve the issue.
HOWEVER - if one is lucky, a light sanding of the surfaces on those plates may just give it a new lease of life.
Warning...a simple job, but not to be attempted by the mechanically challenged.

Agree.
if cable adjustments are made and still doing it then MSTRS advice should be bang on the mark. measure the springs when you ruff up the plates more than likely they'll be in need of replacing .