PDA

View Full Version : SMC Racing is go! - Rockets liberated from Squiggles' shed

motorbyclist
13th January 2009, 01:57
SO after spending 10 minutes just trying to find a pair of pliers in squiggle's shed, i said "fuck this i'm just making even more of a mess", grabbed all the rockets and went to my own shed.

12 hours later, I emerge with all three rockets working, all in full fairing, fuel filters and stands removed, fuel lines clamped on and a front and a side paddock stand finished with a bit of wood holding the other

the problem all along seems to be squiggles.... or his overcrowded shed.... :bleh:

no seriously though, on sunday all three died from blocked fuel filters at the same time - of course because we all used the same fuel from squiggles' shed:msn-wink:

so, now the rockets have been liberated from their oppressor and are now living comfortably in more accommodating quarters, team SMC racing is finally ready to go!:eek:

now to hit the track and see how they do for endurance:D

(edit - post 46 for video!)

motorbyclist
13th January 2009, 01:59
when funds allow i will buy the required nylon and metal rod to make more pegs and front paddock stands

donate now!:beer:

oh, and some new fuel filters might help otherwise we have to be very careful with our fuel....

Slyer
13th January 2009, 07:37
Win! The black ones looks like its in actual decent condition. :bleh:
Is the black one a combination of the two black ones we had or just my one?
We should go grab those clear filters from cycletreads.

Qkchk
13th January 2009, 07:39
Just a question, where do you buy the nylon from? I have a couple of 'projects' in my garage and I want to get rid of those annoying 5cent footpegs.

Slyer
13th January 2009, 07:43
Will any fuel filters work? Not sure about premix.

Squiggles
13th January 2009, 08:04
The funny thing is... your rocket is always 'working', that is, until you come to ride it around the carpark :lol: We now have 3 cases of this me thinks :lol:

BANZAI
13th January 2009, 09:45
Garrrarraragagagggggghhhh!!!!!

All this happens after I left the country?????

Not fair!!!!!! Pocket Rocket is one of the perfect bike for me :(

PirateJafa
13th January 2009, 09:45
God it was nice working on these. "Where's a 12 spanner? There's a 12 spanner."

We had some weird problems crop up, but managed to suss them out and even fix the damn pullstart lever that was made of old razor blades. I think we can call it a success.

Slyer
13th January 2009, 09:53
So when is the full racing exhaust kit arriving?

portokiwi
13th January 2009, 10:01
They look nice mate. LOOKING GOOD:niceone:

motorbyclist
13th January 2009, 10:14
The funny thing is... your rocket is always 'working', that is, until you come to ride it around the carpark :lol: We now have 3 cases of this me thinks :lol:

ahh but it always has to go via your shed ;)

before your shed was en route, it would work fine until something actually broke/blocked an hour or two later

and now they're good BEFORE we want to ride them; no more spending the whole day fixing then no time for riding, then come back the next week to find them in bits strewn across your shed again:rolleyes:

Garrrarraragagagggggghhhh!!!!!

All this happens after I left the country?????

Not fair!!!!!! Pocket Rocket is one of the perfect bike for me :(

then why didn't you buy one?

TOTO
13th January 2009, 10:20
how much is a good one ? where do I buy it from ?

motorbyclist
13th January 2009, 10:25
Just a question, where do you buy the nylon from? I have a couple of 'projects' in my garage and I want to get rid of those annoying 5cent footpegs.

mulford plastics

25mm dia. rod and hop on a lathe, rough up the outside for grip, drill a hole through the middle for a good interference fit so they don't come off, bevel the edges including a countersink on the holes to aid in installation and you're done

at 5 sets per metre (100mm per peg) i'd sell them at $20-30 a set to cover materials and my time

they last for bloody aaaaages once you've worn them to your max lean angle and they're practically unbreakable too, infact my initial concern was in a crash the frame would break not the peg

if you want some, i can make them - just i need to know i can get rid of them cause i don't really have any 'capital' to buy the materials with :(

Squiggles
13th January 2009, 10:26
then come back the next week to find them in bits strewn across your shed again:rolleyes:

Be fair, Jafa was the one who seperated tank from bike :laugh:

Toto, there's no such thing as a 'good one'

motorbyclist
13th January 2009, 10:32
how much is a good one ? where do I buy it from ?

well that's a tricky part

the good ones are italian and cost over a grand

the chinese ripoffs replicas cost a few hundred bucks but you have to know how to operate a screwdriver

we at SMC racing have the cheapest, chinese aircooled ones. aftermarket go-faster bits are dirt cheap, BUT then you have to run in the modified classes which means you have to spend a grand anyway:rolleyes: so we run them as stock

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Pocket-pit-bikes/auction-196244545.htm
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Pocket-pit-bikes/auction-197353433.htm

TOTO
13th January 2009, 10:35
i may buy me one of the italian ones then ...in the future and even take it on KB rides...

Squiggles
13th January 2009, 10:38
why'd ya put the wind catchers back on em? Just one more thing to get caught on :lol:

motorbyclist
13th January 2009, 10:38
i might add that the quality control isn't too great

all bolts including the ones holding the motor together have to be tightened
there is huge variability in performance between motors - dushy's is shit, mine is lame, and the parts bike is an absolute rocket (again the work of a certain shed);)

motorbyclist
13th January 2009, 10:40
why'd ya put the wind catchers back on em? Just one more thing to get caught on :lol:

looks better
protects the motor etc
rags in the fairing will stop us ruining the go-kart track, if a leak is sprung ;)
looks better

Squiggles
13th January 2009, 10:41
looks better

style is overrated ;)

PirateJafa
13th January 2009, 10:42
rags in the fairing will stop us ruining the go-kart track, if a leak is sprung ;)

Admit it - you already had a go at ruining it yesterday while we were at the track. ;)

motorbyclist
13th January 2009, 10:43
i may buy me one of the italian ones then ...in the future and even take it on KB rides...

i wouldn't say it's worth it as there isn't any KB rides for these things

and for the sake of competition, it would be cool if we all had the same machine:clap:

plus you can't use our spares if you have an italian ;)

style is overrated ;)

team SMC man, team SMC!

:2thumbsup

motorbyclist
13th January 2009, 10:46
Admit it - you already had a go at ruining it yesterday while we were at the track. ;)

that was YOUR bike, to which YOU had not secured the fuel line to the carburetor:Pokey:

and that was before my shed - now they all have big bloody clamps on them;)

PirateJafa
13th January 2009, 10:55
Hey I'd bloody done it, then someone decided to cut moar fuel line off so it was too short! :P

Still, at least we've got enough fuel line for Africa now. Just gotta keep the mix we put into the tanks clean until we can get some filters.

Qkchk
13th January 2009, 11:02
Might have spot or two where we could have some fun in Albany. Has anyone thought of the RC track at North Harbour Stadium? (I know of somewhere else, just have to ask.)

shingo
13th January 2009, 11:07
I might be able to get you guys some small fuel filters. I'll check today and let you know.

motorbyclist
13th January 2009, 11:08
Hey I'd bloody done it, then someone decided to cut moar fuel line off so it was too short! :P

cough cough stephen cough

Might have spot or two where we could have some fun in Albany. Has anyone thought of the RC track at North Harbour Stadium? (I know of somewhere else, just have to ask.)

the mt wellington kart track looks pretty good - can't wait to complete a lap without walking

motorbyclist
13th January 2009, 11:10
I might be able to get you guys some small fuel filters. I'll check today and let you know.

if not i'll just make a filter that we put in the lid of the tank - easier to fit, easier to fix

shingo
13th January 2009, 12:59

Buy one of these. (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Pocket-pit-bikes/auction-196442492.htm) Then you'll smoke those fools :headbang:

Reido
13th January 2009, 20:45
Buy one of these. (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Pocket-pit-bikes/auction-196442492.htm) Then you'll smoke those fools :headbang:

holy crap i want it XD

how crazy are these things to ride ?

Slyer
13th January 2009, 20:52
holy crap i want it XD

how crazy are these things to ride ?
I'll trade you mine for your bike?

Reido
13th January 2009, 20:53
I'll trade you mine for your bike?

DEAL... wait.. noo...
i need my bike

Slyer
13th January 2009, 20:57
I bet my pocket bike can beat yours to 5kmph
*pushes*

motorbyclist
13th January 2009, 21:21
ok, video to come, but the current status is this:

repsol - mine - minter until it overheats after 10 to 20 minutes (depends on ambient temp) when electrics stop working, rear tyre is showing fibres and needs replacing, pullstart rope broke in time for dinner, brakes are awesome

shell - jafa/hanne - no spark or charge; will swap ignition/electrical units to see why but it broke on the way from my shed to the track, needs nylon pegs

west - slyer? - minter, front brake needs adjusting, needs nylon pegs, may have same heat problem as repsol but to a lesser degree. jafa crashed it a few times trying to keep up.

bitser - squiggles? - may be reassembled in the near future if i don't nick it's rear wheel for the repsol and it has a working electrical system available to it

minimotard - drider - last i saw it it was running but has a lame motor - still good for parts like the electrics:blip:

Slyer
13th January 2009, 21:30
Yup the west one is mine.
It was leaking petrol last time what about now? :bleh:

motorbyclist
13th January 2009, 21:32
1. Jafa on the West - note the SMC safety officer is riding with a cast on and children's elbow pads on his knees only half strapped on

2. Defeat!

3. Needs moar rubber!

motorbyclist
13th January 2009, 21:34
petrol leaks intermittently from some of the carby bowls but that's due to dodgy seals - at last check they were all good though

with the tap off it's ok - used hose clamps to stop the leaks

PirateJafa
13th January 2009, 22:12
west - slyer? - minter, front brake needs adjusting, needs nylon pegs, may have same heat problem as repsol but to a lesser degree. jafa crashed it a few times trying to keep up.

Trying to keep up? Hell that was easy - it was each time I tried to overtake your lard arse that was the problem. ;)

Yeah, we've taken the filters off all three bikes now. Instead we're filtering it as we pour it into the tank instead - saving us a lot of hassle in the long run!

shingo
13th January 2009, 22:42
Sounds like you guys have your filtration sorted since getting those filters ain't that easy anymore.

Slyer
14th January 2009, 07:58
We also need a really good system for premixing, a better container.
If would could premix like 10 litres at a time that would be awesome.

racefactory
14th January 2009, 08:30
Are you sure it's all of those filters that suck?

Because i heard from the factory they put them on backwards, which is why there are so many fueling problems.

Try turning it around.

Slyer
14th January 2009, 08:31
Would not surprise me.
I bet all the product testing these things got was a ride around the yard, and only on the first one ever built. :bleh:

motorbyclist
14th January 2009, 08:49

i've been mixing 4 litres at a time

Are you sure it's all of those filters that suck?

no, but it helped a lot so either removing them or the act of fiddling around with them fixed the immediate problem

BANZAI
14th January 2009, 08:54

Warehouse petrol container? :Pokey:

motorbyclist
14th January 2009, 09:49
i'm looking at buying a bigger version of what i've got - a clear petrol safe container - and marking on it measurements for petrol/oil

motorbyclist
14th January 2009, 12:29
<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/25ovDzTufig&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/25ovDzTufig&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

Reido
14th January 2009, 13:41
NO GLOVES :bash:
:woohoo:

edit: one glove?

Slyer
14th January 2009, 14:12
He's got a cast on so he can't fit a glove on one hand. :yes:

Reido
14th January 2009, 14:19
oh riiigght suuuree...

:jerry: